PDA

View Full Version : Bartolo Colon

hose
05-03-2004, 05:03 PM
I heard on the WGN radio today that Bartolo Colon's fastball is down 8 miles from last year and might have a possible arm problem.

Colon is schedule to start tonight in Anaheim against the Tigers.

I for one have always enjoyed watching him pitch and hope the arm is ok.

Randar68
05-03-2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by hose
I heard on the WGN radio today that Bartolo Colon's fastball is down 8 miles from last year and might have a possible arm problem.

Could be an awfully expensive bench warmer if true.

The Sox seem to have an uncanny knack for letting high-profile pitchers leave and then their careers/arms blowing up.

Fernandez/Alvarez/McDowell/Sirotka/Colon

Am I forgetting anyone?

JohnBasedowYoda
05-03-2004, 05:20 PM
I remember some speculation from last year that he was wearing down and losing some velocity. He proved that wrong by being a horse. I think big boy will be fine

delben91
05-03-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Am I forgetting anyone?

Navarro, Jesus Pena and John Snyder.

Randar68
05-03-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by delben91
Navarro, Jesus Pena and John Snyder.

Well, don't forget Sean Lowe, Josh Fogg and Scott Eyre then, LOL!

depy48
05-03-2004, 05:23 PM
I've always been a Colon fan, and when he came heree last wagon i was thrilled (to the point hwere i had to have the Colon jersey). I think that he'll be fine. Colon is a workhorse, and has been very reliable for a long time. Arm problem wise, i dont really know what the situation is there, but i have faith that Colon can step up and be effective even if his fastball is a 8mph slower...

Win1ForMe
05-03-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by hose

Either he's hurt or was on the juice. For the record, I'm pretty sure it's the former but you never know for sure.

Gammons actually brought up an interesting point in his new column. It seems velocity is down across the league (and as a result, slugging has improved from last year). But it made me wonder about some of our own pitchers.

Koch is an obvious target because of the sudden velocity drop, but Marte's fastball hasn't been as explosive as in the past 2 years. And he's been throwing more breaking balls this year, it seems like.

Of course Gomer Pile's fastball tops out at around 90mph these days and that's why he can't get anybody out.

Foulke You
05-03-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
But it made me wonder about some of our own pitchers.

Koch is an obvious target because of the sudden velocity drop, but Marte's fastball hasn't been as explosive as in the past 2 years. And he's been throwing more breaking balls this year, it seems like.

If you take a closer look at pictures of Koch from when he pitched for Toronto and Oakland, you'll see that his body hasn't changed much over the years. He's alwasy been a lanky skinnyish kinda guy. I would highly doubt that he was juicing but this is the climate in MLB these days. If a player's skills take a decline or he has a bad season everyone immediately assumes now that they were on steroids. I guess we have Bud Selig and the Players Association to thank for that.

wolcott10
05-03-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Well, don't forget Sean Lowe, Josh Fogg and Scott Eyre then, LOL! Jim Parque?

Kilroy
05-03-2004, 11:31 PM
Colon is averaging 6 innings per start, 3+ runs per game, and opponents are hitting .283 against him and his 4.02 era. That's average performance for a pitcher getting ACE $$...

batmanZoSo
05-03-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
Either he's hurt or was on the juice. For the record, I'm pretty sure it's the former but you never know for sure.

Gammons actually brought up an interesting point in his new column. It seems velocity is down across the league (and as a result, slugging has improved from last year). But it made me wonder about some of our own pitchers.

Of course Gomer Pile's fastball tops out at around 90mph these days and that's why he can't get anybody out.

Does muscle increase velocity? I always thought you either had it or you didn't. Pedro is a twig, and he throws harder than a lot of more muscular guys.

BBaum21
05-03-2004, 11:42 PM
I wanted KW to resign Colon, but not at the $$ he was demanding and eventually got from Anaheim. Too big of an injury risk, despite the fact he's stayed relatively healthy throuhout his career. He's an inning-eating machine, but for four years and $51 million, the Angels can have him.

Thigpen Rules
05-03-2004, 11:48 PM
Yep, we tried He wanted the cold hard cash, & now he's getting lit up again tonight. He's overated and I'm happy we don'thave him I love our staff right now - colon

& now we have money to resign MAGS :)

kempsted
05-04-2004, 12:21 AM
Colon's line for tonight

6 Innings, 10 hits, 6 Runs, 4 ER, 2 BB 4 SO, 1 HR
His ERA is now 4.38 - He is on the hook for the loss if Detroit can hang on.

elrod
05-04-2004, 12:40 AM
It's nice to Colon and Schoenweis pitch the same night. Schony is the guy who replaced Colon in the rotation and nobody thought Schony would be outperforming him. Keep comparing the two all year. If Schony is anywhere near as good as Colon then I'll be happy with KW's decision. So far I'm happy.

TaylorStSox
05-04-2004, 01:14 AM
I've always enjoyed Colon as well. He's a no BS throwback. He takes the ball and goes as long as he can.

With that said, he's an injury waiting to happen. Although, he always has been.

BTW, Randar's dead on about getting rid of injured pitchers. I'm not sure if it's luck or inside knowledge. I'd prefer it to be the latter though.

Herm Schneider's the unsung hero of this team, in my book.

depy48
05-04-2004, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Does muscle increase velocity? I always thought you either had it or you didn't. Pedro is a twig, and he throws harder than a lot of more muscular guys.

steriods and pitchers dont mix. if a pitcher takes steriods and increases muscle mass, he will be able to gamin MPH on his fastball, but will lose the ability to locate pitches. This is a result of when there is bulk in the muscle fibers in the shoulder (as they would be on anyone on steriods)