PDA

View Full Version : Konerko Haters

faneidde
05-03-2004, 02:50 PM
The previous thread about Rowand's supporters got me thinking about all the Konerko bashers on here. Its time to call you guys out.
Paulie is batting .279 with 5 HR and 13 RBI. He also has 10 walks and the fewest strike outs (6) of any regular. Oh, and he's 1 for 1 in stolen bases. :D: Paul has always been a slow starter and he'll heat up even more in the 2nd half. Plus, he's one of the clubhouse leaders on the team.

Is he still a little overpaid? Most likely. Is he the useless liability a lot of you guys made him out to be? No way.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-03-2004, 02:56 PM
as a big fan of the K-Man i salute this thread.

:threadrules
:walnuts
"give me a hell yeah"

Randar68
05-03-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by faneidde
The previous thread about Rowand's supporters got me thinking about all the Konerko bashers on here. Its time to call you guys out.
Paulie is batting .279 with 5 HR and 13 RBI. He also has 10 walks and the fewest strike outs (6) of any regular. Oh, and he's 1 for 1 in stolen bases. :D: Paul has always been a slow starter and he'll heat up even more in the 2nd half. Plus, he's one of the clubhouse leaders on the team.

Is he still a little overpaid? Most likely. Is he the useless liability a lot of you guys made him out to be? No way.

well, he had a hot start, but he's currently in a 5-23 slump, so if anyone thought the Rowand thread might be premature... this one definitely is.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-03-2004, 02:57 PM
:threadrules:

Baby Fisk
05-03-2004, 02:58 PM
"I like to run the bases too!"

npdempse
05-03-2004, 03:01 PM
I'm happy with Konerko's performance, but I think the guy will always be a head case, with some looong slumps. He's not really a heat-up-in-the-second-half kind of guy--his troubles at the beginning of last year were an extension of a downward slide that began in 2002 at the all-star break.

bobj4400
05-03-2004, 03:06 PM
If PK wasnt comically slow, he would have 3-5 more hits this year. It is mind boggling how slow he gets down the line to first. How many times have you seen a web gem on ESPN that is 100% due to his inability to run? And once he does get on base, it is station to station Manuel ball for the rest of the inning until he either scores or is eliminated from the base paths. And his defense is average at best. I used to be a huge fan of Paulie's, but his show has gotten old...

NonetheLoaiza
05-03-2004, 03:09 PM
Not that I hate Paulie, but I would rather get some starting pitching for him. But while he is with the White Sox, he adds a very valuable bat in the middle part of that lineup. He may be in a 5-23 slump, but he can break out at any time. Bottom line, if we could get some pitching for him, I would like that better.

Randar68
05-03-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by NonetheLoaiza
Not that I hate Paulie, but I would rather get some starting pitching for him. But while he is with the White Sox, he adds a very valuable bat in the middle part of that lineup. He may be in a 5-23 slump, but he can break out at any time. Bottom line, if we could get some pitching for him, I would like that better.

He could, and is likely to, hit into a rally-killing GIDP at any time as well.

If I see him get thrown out from the SS or 3B-man's knee's in the OF grass one more time, I'm going to head on down there and cut his damn legs off.

He should have gotten his lazy fat-*** into offseason shape and worked on his speed and quickness, or the weights, or something...

As much technology and personal training as there is available to these players, there is no excuse for his lack of physical fitness outside of pure laziness.

E Coast Sox Fan
05-03-2004, 03:31 PM
I personally like PK. I hope he has a great season. He may be slow, but I'd be hesitant to unload him unless we're pretty sure Gload is ready to play everyday.

As for trading PK, I think it would be a bad idea right now. I still think we could use another bat to make this line-up devastating (preferably Left handed CF or 2B).

With Cotts, Felix Diaz, Grilli and others we may have some answers down the stretch in SP front.

Deadguy
05-03-2004, 03:34 PM

I still hate him, and hope the Sox trade him before he pulls his annual disappearing act for a month or so.

iwannago
05-03-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
I still hate him, and hope the Sox trade him before he pulls his annual disappearing act for a month or so.

And who would you expect to get in this trade? Some prospects.

I think PK is a pretty good ballplayer and should be retained.

Randar68
05-03-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by E Coast Sox Fan
I personally like PK. I hope he has a great season. He may be slow, but I'd be hesitant to unload him unless we're pretty sure Gload is ready to play everyday.

I don't know that I'd trade him either, but at 8 million bucks, if trading him would give them flexibility down the stretch I'd do it. I don't think either Hankins or Gload can hit enough to be a full-time player, especially not at 1B, so I have no idea who they'd play there if he were gone, at least for the balance of this season...

Any 1B free-agents this offseason?

bafiarocks03
05-03-2004, 04:31 PM
IM PAUL's BIGGEST FAN! thank you very much!

MRKARNO
05-03-2004, 04:41 PM
As a whole, Sox fans like Paul Konerko more than any other player. Just listen at the ballpark when Maggs, Thomas, Lee, Valentin and Konerko come up in a big situation. PK will always get the loudest chants of Paul-ee! Paul-ee! When I try to start up a "Let's Go Frank" chant, nobody ever wants to join in, but you never have to start up a PAULEE chant because everyone just knows to do it.

Randar68
05-03-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
As a whole, Sox fans like Paul Konerko more than any other player. Just listen at the ballpark when Maggs, Thomas, Lee, Valentin and Konerko come up in a big situation. PK will always get the loudest chants of Paul-ee! Paul-ee! When I try to start up a "Let's Go Frank" chant, nobody ever wants to join in, but you never have to start up a PAULEE chant because everyone just knows to do it.

You'd think all the GIDP's in said clutch situations would warrant a change in chants?

DaveIsHere
05-03-2004, 04:45 PM
I like him, but he is as slow diving for a ball as he is running. I was watching the other day and he was hitting the dirt for a ball and the ball was already in Right field by the time his glove was in the dirt.....sssssssssssslllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

PaleHoseGeorge
05-03-2004, 05:04 PM

Harold Reynolds says Frank Thomas sucks because pitchers are walking Frank so they can get easy outs off your guy and Carlos Lee.

How do you respond to that, other than Harold Reynolds is a ****ing idiot?

:smile:

faneidde
05-03-2004, 05:08 PM
"Maybe some of you guys making fun of my speed didn't see my 100% stolen base success rate. Does anyone else think its a lot farther from home to first than from first to second?"

Randar68
05-03-2004, 05:19 PM
"Maybe some of you guys making fun of my speed didn't see my 100% stolen base success rate. Does anyone else think its a lot farther from home to first than from first to second?"

Well, I'll tell ya what, with the bases juiced and less than 2 outs, I often wish he'd take a lead-off from home plate. At least then he can just K and not GIDP.

maurice
05-03-2004, 05:48 PM
IIRC, the most frequent criticisms of Konerko seen here are:
- he's comically slow
- he grounds into a ridiculous number of DPs
- every hot streak is promptly followed by a really, really cold streak
- he's obscenely overpaid

As each and every one of these criticisms clearly is 100% true, I don't see any need for apologies. While he's not completely useless at all times, his absurd salary makes him a serious liability. That's not his fault, but you'd hear a lot less chirping if he was paid $3 or 4 mil / year.

faneidde
05-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by maurice
- he's comically slow

As each and every one of these criticisms clearly is 100% true, I don't see any need for apologies. While he's not completely useless at all times, his absurd salary makes him a serious liability. That's not his fault, but you'd hear a lot less chirping if he was paid $3 or 4 mil / year.
I can understand the criticism of PK, but the vitriole some people have showed in attacking Konerko was completely uncalled for. All of what you said is 100% true Maurice, but I've seen PK called worthless. Hell, one poster even said he hated Paulie. There is no justification for that, and that is the kind of stuff that bothers me. He's not the greatest first basemen ever, I acknowledge that, but he's not the pariah that a lot of people here try to make him out to be. He's a decent baseball player and a good guy. That fact that he is overpaid is not his fault at all, but I'm sure some of you guys will blame him for having that all-star first half.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-03-2004, 06:05 PM
- he's comically slow....

Which reminds me, Luis Aparicio turned 70 last week. 50 yard dash match race, who do you pick?

Konehead or Luis?

:gulp:

Daver
05-03-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Which reminds me, Luis Aparicio turned 70 last week. 50 yard dash match race, who do you pick?

Konehead or Luis?

:gulp:

I'm betting on the pregnant woman.

:)

voodoochile
05-03-2004, 07:03 PM
As long as we are posting Paulie's stats, here are some others...

Last 7 days: .217 avg, .742 OPS. He has also had half of his K's in that span.

In addition, he is an almost entirely different hitter against RHP (.809 OPS) and LHP (1.087 OPS). Since he will face MANY more RHP during the season (he currently has 4 AB against RHP for every 1 AB against LHP) it is more likely his numbers will continue to decline as the season progresses.

I don't hate Paulie, I hate Paulie's paycheck...

gosox41
05-04-2004, 07:38 AM

Even if PK is hitting decently this year, it still doesn't solve the problem that PK is making $8.5 mill pe year for average production for a first baseman.

Bob

jackbrohamer
05-04-2004, 10:57 AM
Why does not liking Konerko make a person a "hater"? Hate is a strong word. I just think he's, at best, a 1-dimensional ballplayer. And when the 1-dimension isn't working he's absolutely brutal

mdep524
05-04-2004, 11:08 AM
- he's comically slow

I don't hate Paulie, but I think this team would be better off without him and I would trade him in a heartbeat- for the reasons above.

Also, I get very irritated when he swings at the first pitch with runners on base and pops it up to the right side of the infield. WHY??? I know his approach is to look first ball fastball- but if he's expecting it, geared up for it and the best he can do is pop it up to the right side, he clearly wasn't ready to hit it. It wouldn't kill him to take a few pitches once in a while to be completely ready to swing.

***For the record, Paulie is currently bating .214 when he swings at the first pitch and .417 if he takes a first pitch ball.

SpringfldFan
05-04-2004, 12:37 PM
The Sox would be better off trading him while his numbers *look* good. I emhasize "look" because they don't tell all the story. In my mind he is primarily a doubles hitter with some homerun power. However, because of his lack of speed, you can almost consider a PK double to be a single because often it will still take two more hits to score him. Compound that fact with the fact that while he is on base, anyone on base behind him is also slowed down. For Paulie to be really valuable, he needs to become a true home run hitter so his lack of speed on the basepaths is not such an issue. I would actually prefer him to be .260/45hr then .320/25 hr.

Deadguy
05-04-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by iwannago
And who would you expect to get in this trade? Some prospects.

0 tool players owed almost 17 million dollars over 2 years have surprisingly low trade value.