PDA

View Full Version : Nice Tribune Sports Section Today - NOT!

Rush20
05-03-2004, 02:53 PM
The front page of today's Tribune sports section has three full color photos of the Cubs loss to St. Louis while there is only one small 1" photo of Frank Thomas (probably a 1997 AP file photo) and the SOX game.

Amazing considering (a) the SOX moved into a first place tie (b) the SOX have a better record and most importantly (c) the SOX are home, thus local Chicago coverage while the Cubs are on the road.

The SOX could win the World Series and the Tribune would run a cover story about Mark Prior's off-season rehabilitation plan.

:angry:

Cubbiesuck13
05-03-2004, 03:15 PM
The cubs played a huge couple of games this weekend against a division rival. Sox played the blue jays. The coverage fit the game, this time. If the Sox played the Twins and the Cubs were playing the expos, then the coverage should be reversed. That would be a stretch but you cannot fault anyone for giving the cubs more media love this time.

faneidde
05-03-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13
The cubs played a huge couple of games this weekend against a division rival. Sox played the blue jays. The coverage fit the game, this time. If the Sox played the Twins and the Cubs were playing the expos, then the coverage should be reversed. That would be a stretch but you cannot fault anyone for giving the cubs more media love this time.
Jay, is that you? I kinda see your point, and didn't see the Trib, but if it indeed had 3 large photos of Cubs and one small pic of Frank, that is crap. The Sox are in first, are tied for the 2nd best record in baseball, and just took 3 of 4 at home. Besides, the only Cub who played well yesterday was Zambrano, no one else should have been in the paper unless it showed Farnsworth WALKING off the mound.

Rush20
05-03-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13

As a baseball fan, I can defintely see your point. However the SOX had a great weekend capped by an incredible game/finish on Sunday. AT HOME! If the spread was a 50/50 split I wouldn't be so disappointed.

leon1973
05-03-2004, 03:54 PM
I can understand how some people might get upset about this coverage cause we love the Sox. However, as great as the sox victory was, it was about as equally dramatic and devasting loss for the Cubs. I think over the course of the season the coverage should be pretty equal for both teams. I really don't think we should worry about the number of pictures -- I'm not knocking your opinion, I just respectfully disagree.

NonetheLoaiza
05-03-2004, 04:17 PM
Did anybody watch that game? It was a pretty good duel. In defense to the Tribune, it was the game to report on.

cheeses_h_rice
05-03-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by NonetheLoaiza
Did anybody watch that game? It was a pretty good duel. In defense to the Tribune, it was the game to report on.

Sshh! Don't bother anyone with here with actual logic!

livewir
05-03-2004, 04:52 PM
We are tied for first after a month of playing. The cubs played a huge division rival. Not a big deal. Couple of nice write ups about the sox on the tribunes web site.

Rush20
05-03-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by NonetheLoaiza

I agree it was a good game, however I also agree with Ozzie, that Sunday's game was probably the best game the SOX played all year.

I'm just disappointed that we didn't get more press, not necessarily that the Cubs should have gotten less press. With the whacky schedule this year, both the SOX and Cubs have been home a lot at the same time, thus with the Cubs on the road and the SOX at home, moving into a first place tie, with a well-pitched game by Garland and a key home run by Frank, I was expecting more.

I bleed silver and black so maybe I'm reacting incorrectly. Plus as the afternoon sports radio jocks attest, the Cubs fans need to calm down. Yes it's the Cardinals, however it's still early in the season. I just don't buy into the Cub hype.

TDog
05-03-2004, 11:56 PM
If you're the Tribune and you see how things turned out, you should feel bad that the resources weren't ready for what would have turned out to be a great story on the South Side. You would think that you've got to devote more planning and resources to Sox coverage in the future.

Unfortunately, I see none of that, only the excuse that this team which is very exciting is not worth writing about because they have no season ticket base because we weren't writing about them all winter.