PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Burke?

Tekijawa
05-03-2004, 09:59 AM
Why did we bring him up when we sent Danny down... Seems to me Wunsch would be brought up or maybe a middle infielder or one of our Young OF's? I don't understand the Burke move?

IlliniSox
05-03-2004, 10:20 AM
I wondered the same thing. Maybe Wunsch isn't really 100%? Would have like to see Reed against major league pitching, but I haven't written off Rowand yet. I wouldn't want his toes stepped on until he's at least had a full half-season as the starter.

WWIII
05-03-2004, 10:27 AM
It looks like Burke is around so that we have another bat off the bench for a while. We'll stay with a four-man rotation for a couple of weeks so no one from the bullpen needs to be used as a starter. Wunsch might have been nice, but I think Oz just wanted another bench bat instead.

bobj4400
05-03-2004, 10:34 AM
It seems odd to me that Burke was brought up instead of just waiting until tomorrow and activating Valentin (or as many people on this board like to refer to him: Valentine). Dransfeldt has performed well when called upon, there really isnt a need for a third catcher, and both JB and KD are right handed. So what happens tomorrow? Does Dransfeldt get sent down? If we are going to have an extra bat on the bench, I would rather it be his over Burke...

Any thoughts?

onenine19
05-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by bobj4400
It seems odd to me that Burke was brought up instead of just waiting until tomorrow and activating Valentin (or as many people on this board like to refer to him: Valentine). Dransfeldt has performed well when called upon, there really isnt a need for a third catcher, and both JB and KD are right handed. So what happens tomorrow? Does Dransfeldt get sent down? If we are going to have an extra bat on the bench, I would rather it be his over Burke...

Any thoughts?
Agreed!

akingamongstmen
05-03-2004, 12:26 PM
The Sox are probably just giving Burke a little recognition for his impressive Spring Training. He won't be with the big league club for long.

Tekijawa
05-03-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by akingamongstmen
The Sox are probably just giving Burke a little recognition for his impressive Spring Training. He won't be with the big league club for long.

This is a stupid move if this is the Case, I don't know how many minor league assignments he has left as wee seem to bring him up and send him down all the time, seems to me with the likely hood that Almoar won't be around for ever that you'd want to limit the times that Burke would move up and down....

As For Jose, I read somewhere that he's stinking it up in the Minors, let hope they keep him down there a little bit longer than tomorow!

misty60481
05-03-2004, 02:30 PM
maybe they want to showcase Burke for possible 2nd man in a trade, his hitting is not that bad

bobj4400
05-03-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by misty60481
maybe they want to showcase Burke for possible 2nd man in a trade, his hitting is not that bad

I would agree with you, but I doubt Burke will get many at bats. He will probably just warm the bench and be a late inning pinch runner for Pauly or Frank. Olivo is going to catch most every day, and Sandy will be behind the dish for Buehrle. There just isnt going to be the at bats for him to be showcased. And he is 32 years old, so he isnt going to draw interest from a team looking to rebuild.