PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 5.3.04

Hangar18
05-03-2004, 10:33 AM
The SOX today fall behind even farther (if thats even possible)
to the cubs in print media coverage. However, there is something very peculiar happening that needs to be noted. Broadcast TV is experiencing a sort of Backlash as far as the SOX are concerned. Last nite on FOX news, the sportscast started with what a gut-wrenching game it was for the cubs and how it hurts etc etc, but another sportscaster QUICKLY chimed in, "lets not forget about the White Sox, theyre playing some good ball and deserve some coverage too" to which the 1st guy conceded.

This can be nothing but good......by fans pointing out the disrespect our team is getting and having the media react favorably.

Cubune:
6 cub stories
5 sox stories

Cub-Times:
4 cub stories
4 sox stories

Standings as of Spring Training ..........
CUBS 517
SOX 351

inta
05-03-2004, 10:47 AM
actually the fox 32 sports guys seem pretty good at giving the sox their due, i rate corey mcpherrin and jill carlson pretty good.

what screws it up for fox 32 though is walter jacobson. this guy's a huge cubs mark and very anti sox.

anyone remember his "walters perspective" in 2000 after the sox clinched and celebrated with champagn... how he felt that sent the wrong message to kids?

tons of other times i've seen him throw in some nasty remarks against the sox after praising the cubs.

kittle42
05-03-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by inta
anyone remember his "walters perspective" in 2000 after the sox clinched and celebrated with champagn... how he felt that sent the wrong message to kids?

Did he do the same when the Cubs celebrated in a similar fashion last year? No, because their champagne was good for the city.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-03-2004, 01:21 PM
Walter jacobson speaks to only hear his own voice.
I'm a big harry volkman fan, i think he shows up and does the weather for free

Randar68
05-03-2004, 01:29 PM

Yep. But throwing Beer and crap onto the field when the manager throws a tantrum is great for kids to see. Kids need to learn to stand up to injustices when they see them...

That's what you get for watching Fox in the first place.

BLA

steff
05-03-2004, 01:31 PM
actually the fox 32 sports guys seem pretty good at giving the sox their due

What...??? :?:

Bruce Wolf is the biggest moron when reporting on baseball. NEVER mentions the Sox until the very last second of his segment. He reports on Bonds more than the Sox.

pinwheels3530
05-03-2004, 01:36 PM
When I went to the rained out game on Friday I saw Corey Mcpherrin from Fox 32 with his wife and 2 kids in front of the park. I said " hey fox TV what's up" he said "how's it going" then I screamed out " you need to stick up for us on TV" he gave me this wide eye looked like he was surprised. I know he is from the south side somewhere and is a huge SOX fan. He does pretty fair coverage of both teams. Was he the one that made the don't forget about the sox comment? Other notable sox fans in the news media are Waurner Saunders channel 5 anchor man and Ron Magers channel 7 anchor man, also the late Tim Weigel I apologize if I got the name wrong who use to do the weigel wieners on his telecast.

maurice
05-03-2004, 03:02 PM
Walter "Skippy" Jacobson is the worst kind of stereotypical cub fan. After the Bartman saga, he spontaneously announced during a news broadcast that he wanted Bartman dead.

thepaulbowski
05-03-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by steff
What...??? :?:

Bruce Wolf is the biggest moron when reporting on baseball. NEVER mentions the Sox until the very last second of his segment. He reports on Bonds more than the Sox.

For what it's worth...Bruce Wolf has stated, several times, that he is a Sox.

nasox
05-03-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Walter "Skippy" Jacobson is the worst kind of stereotypical cub fan. After the Bartman saga, he spontaneously announced during a news broadcast that he wanted Bartman dead.

It would be acceptable if he was a good newscaster, but he is the worst person on Chicago news ever. He stumbles words, misreports all the time, and doesn't make up for it with his charming looks. :D:

santo=dorf
05-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
For what it's worth...Bruce Wolf has stated, several times, that he is a Sox.

That can't be true. He did the 7th inning stretch at Piggley Field a couple years ago talking about how it was his dream come true.

BigFrankFan
05-03-2004, 05:14 PM
Sometimes less publicity is better.
WLS News headline caption of FARNSWORTHLESS was priceless.

NBC & ABC we're very big on the SOX last night. It was nice to see.

steff
05-03-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by pinwheels3530
When I went to the rained out game on Friday I saw Corey Mcpherrin from Fox 32 with his wife and 2 kids in front of the park. I said " hey fox TV what's up" he said "how's it going" then I screamed out " you need to stick up for us on TV" he gave me this wide eye looked like he was surprised. I know he is from the south side somewhere and is a huge SOX fan. He does pretty fair coverage of both teams. Was he the one that made the don't forget about the sox comment? Other notable sox fans in the news media are Waurner Saunders channel 5 anchor man and Ron Magers channel 7 anchor man, also the late Tim Weigel I apologize if I got the name wrong who use to do the weigel wieners on his telecast.

You screamed at him... while he was out with his family..??? :?:

pinwheels3530
05-03-2004, 05:44 PM
But I yelled in a nice way like I was excited :D:

wolcott10
05-03-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by pinwheels3530

I also heard that Robin Robinson, Jacobsen's co-anchor, and Linda Yu are Sox fans.