PDA

View Full Version : Bring back Kip?

LASOXFAN
05-03-2004, 02:02 AM
ESPN was mentioning some names that might be on the block, including Kip Wells. Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1793156) Does anyone see this as a realistic possibility that KW could swallow his pride and ego and bring him back?

batmanZoSo
05-03-2004, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
ESPN was mentioning some names that might be on the block, including Kip Wells. Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1793156) Does anyone see this as a realistic possibility that KW could swallow his pride and ego and bring him back?

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/KW.jpg

"I'm only swallowing my pride if Ritchie is involved."

pearso66
05-03-2004, 02:07 AM
there haev to be better options available other than Kip? including some in our own system. I'd pass.

SoxxoS
05-03-2004, 02:15 AM
Kip is not the best pitcher when the pressure is on, and the pressure is going to be on A LOT this year.

kittle42
05-03-2004, 02:18 AM
Kip Wells is right near the top of my list of guys I was overly happy to get rid of.

kermittheefrog
05-03-2004, 03:34 AM
I'd love to have Kip back, we could use another good pitcher. That said, I doubt it would ever happen.

SSN721
05-03-2004, 07:29 AM
I wouldnt mind having Kip back it all. I think it would be nice to see him as another part of this staff in a number of roles. but I highly doubt the possibility of the Sox picking him up.

voodoochile
05-03-2004, 08:01 AM
He might come fairly cheap compared to the more established guys.

A couple of minor league maybes or a couple of middle relievers with potential (Wright and Adkins?) might get it done. Of course then everyone will melt down about how we overpaid :smile:

Sox are looking for a fifth starter anyway. The other 4 guys look fine.

gosox41
05-03-2004, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN

Not unless he can give up Honel and Reed straight up for Wells

KW won't bring him back . I can see him going after Benson if he's healthy.

Bob

Kilroy
05-03-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I'd love to have Kip back, we could use another good pitcher.

Well which is it? Do you want Kip back or another good pitcher?

Actually, on second thought, Wells might be a plus under the new managment. Maybe Oz and crew could get him to perform better...

MRKARNO
05-03-2004, 09:22 AM
I would rather see Freddy Garcia in a White Sox uniform, even if it meant giving up a bit more than it would be to get Kip Wells.

Hangar18
05-03-2004, 09:57 AM
Kip Wells can be had ...........CHEAP.
The cubs were able to stock their team last year .......
Kenny Lofton CF, Sausage-Beater 1B, Aramis Ramirez 3B
all for the low low cost of .......Bobby Million Dollar Hill.
I think we can throw them a Very Low Prospect for Kippy ........

bobj4400
05-03-2004, 09:59 AM
I wouldnt mind bringing Jose Mesa over here from the Bucs as well. The guy has been lights out this year and we could use some insurance for when Koch blows up again...

kittle42
05-03-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by bobj4400
I wouldnt mind bringing Jose Mesa over here from the Bucs as well. The guy has been lights out this year and we could use some insurance for when Koch blows up again...

No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

Joe Table sucks, and I don't care what his numbers are so far this year.

Lip Man 1
05-03-2004, 02:08 PM
Peter Gammons has a new column out today mentioning what we learned in April. He talks about Wells and says that he's arbitration eligible in two years time. By then the top Pittsburgh pitching prospects will be in the bigs and he doesn't see the Pirates hanging on to him.

If the Sox are looking at him for the 5th starter...OK I'll take him. But if they would be looking to move him up higher and rely on him as a #2 or #3 guy, like they did in 1999- 2000, no way. Kip doesn't have the guts for it.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
05-03-2004, 02:18 PM
The Sox not only need to add one pitcher for the back of the rotation, but they also need to add an ace starter. Who says the Sox can't have more than five pitchers capable of starting at a high level? I am wary of National League pitchers, but if the price is right getting Benson and/or Wells might be a good move. Solidifying the rotation would help the entire pitching staff because the bullpen would be called upon less.

hold2dibber
05-03-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
there haev to be better options available other than Kip? including some in our own system. I'd pass.

What are you talking about? People seem to be fixated on the Kip Wells of 2000 around here. It's 2004 now people - and Wells is one of the best starting pitchers in the NL. He's been better than Buehrle over the last few years and is light years ahead of Garland. Although I also am skeptical of NL pitchers, Wells is a solid, established MLB pitcher. He would be a great pick-up, but my guess is that the asking price would be relatively high.

leon1973
05-03-2004, 04:00 PM
What kind of numbers has Kip been putting up? I haven't really been following him except for the occasional update.

How about Fogg? Just kidding.

NonetheLoaiza
05-03-2004, 04:13 PM
I wouldnt mind having Kip back. Beats the hell out of Danny Wright.

iwannago
05-03-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
What are you talking about? People seem to be fixated on the Kip Wells of 2000 around here. It's 2004 now people - and Wells is one of the best starting pitchers in the NL. He's been better than Buehrle over the last few years and is light years ahead of Garland. Although I also am skeptical of NL pitchers, Wells is a solid, established MLB pitcher. He would be a great pick-up, but my guess is that the asking price would be relatively high.

I agree with you 100% on Wells. I don't think the asking price would be that high, maybe a couple of propects at best that are in our AAA system. And I don't think one would be Reed.

Win1ForMe
05-03-2004, 05:43 PM
His numbers aren't bad...

30.1 IP
27 H
13 BB
28 SO

...but he still gives up a ton of walks and throws a lot of pitches (107 per game) despite avg. only 6 IP per start. Again, he's a pretty good pitcher, and I'd take him in a heartbeat, but there might be better guys available according to Gammons (Garcia and maybe even Barry Zito ).

Randar68
05-03-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
His numbers aren't bad...

30.1 IP
27 H
13 BB
28 SO

...but he still gives up a ton of walks and throws a lot of pitches (107 per game) despite avg. only 6 IP per start. Again, he's a pretty good pitcher, and I'd take him in a heartbeat, but there might be better guys available according to Gammons (Garcia and maybe even Barry Zito ).

I'd much rather have a guy like Garcia over The Kipper. Benson, Garcia, Randy Johnson

soltrain21
05-03-2004, 05:57 PM
The Cubs really screwed over the Pirates and they are in their division, wonder what WE could do?

MRKARNO
05-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
I'd much rather have a guy like Garcia over The Kipper. Benson, Garcia, Randy Johnson

I hear RJ come up in all of these trade rumors but he really likes it down in Arizona and he's a 10/5 guy so he can veto any trade.

Randar68
05-03-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I hear RJ come up in all of these trade rumors but he really likes it down in Arizona and he's a 10/5 guy so he can veto any trade.

I know, but he's never going to win again down there... who knows, he has his ring, he might be content to finish his career down there...