PDA

View Full Version : Players gotta love playin for Oz

chisox06
05-03-2004, 12:59 AM
Ozzie has really impressed me so far not only with his managing of games but they way he utilizes his players as well. Take Koch for example, yea he's had his struggles but this year Oz is still goin to him in important parts of a ball game, yesterdays game as a perfect example, putting Koch out there in a legitimate save situation. And Koch performs well, gets his save, hes gotta feel good about that. Willie has had his struggles at the plate, but Oz puts him out there and now hes hitting around .270 and looking better day by day. Ozzie has confidence in his players to perform well, and the players have to appreciate that. E-lo is another example, when Oz came out he was willing to be talked out of yanking him, and Esteban got the job done, again theres that confidence and players gotta love that. Jon Garland has pitched well this year so far and Oz has a lot to do with that as well. One of the turning points for John's career was that game in New York, where he walked 4 in an inning. Oz left him in, let him pitch out of his self created jam, and he did and got the win. From a young players perspective that has to make you feel great, it shows that your manager is behind you and that he believes that you can get the job done and must do wonders for your confidence.

Lets take JM as an example last year. Benching Thomas, going to the pen when pitchers got in a jam in the later innings, not using Koch in any critical situations, and the enormous amounts of tinkering, all of these must have had huge negative effects on individual players and the clubhouse as a whole, JM showed no confidence in his players to rebound. Yea I know its early but I think Oz is the best thing thats happened to this club in a long time.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-03-2004, 01:05 AM
I guess alot has to be said for showing faith and not dumping or avoiding a player that goes through rough spots. Kudos to ozzie for sticking with his promises

gosox41
05-03-2004, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by JohnBasedowYoda
I guess alot has to be said for showing faith and not dumping or avoiding a player that goes through rough spots. Kudos to ozzie for sticking with his promises

Didn't Ozzie take out Garland after 96 pitches Sunday?

Bob

Scotty347
05-03-2004, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
Didn't Ozzie take out Garland after 96 pitches Sunday?

Bob

Did you watch the game? Bringing in Marte to face Delgado was the right move. You need to let the situation dictate a call to the pen sometime and not just the pitch count.

DrummerGeorgefan
05-03-2004, 08:04 AM
I think Ozzie's handling of Koch has been good so far. By letting him go in and get saves in close situations he has shown Koch some confidence and I think Koch feeds off of it. He needs to know that Ozzie's not gonna be on the first step of the dugout as soon as Ball 1 is thrown.

I am not a huge Koch fan, but realize that confidence could turn his luck around.

Irishsox1
05-03-2004, 09:20 AM
I thought that bringing in Marte to face Delgado on Sunday was great. On Saturday, Delgado takes Marte deep. Delgado is a great hitter and can hit lefties or righties. That I can live with. Same situation again Sunday and again Ozzie brings out Marte. By doing this Ozzie sends the message to Marte that he believes in him and that Marte should learn from what he did wrong. This time Marte strikes him out, the next batter flies out to make it 3 to 2, but advantage goes to the Sox. Great move by Ozzie, better execution by Marte.

DrCrawdad
05-03-2004, 09:54 AM
Ozzie has shown patience and expressed confidence in his players but Oz has also shown that he's not too timid to give a player the hook, ie Danny Wright.

DrummerGeorgefan
05-03-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
I thought that bringing in Marte to face Delgado on Sunday was great. On Saturday, Delgado takes Marte deep. Delgado is a great hitter and can hit lefties or righties. That I can live with. Same situation again Sunday and again Ozzie brings out Marte. By doing this Ozzie sends the message to Marte that he believes in him and that Marte should learn from what he did wrong. This time Marte strikes him out, the next batter flies out to make it 3 to 2, but advantage goes to the Sox. Great move by Ozzie, better execution by Marte.

The lesson to Marte.....Dont throw 4 consecutive breaking balls to one of the best breaking ball hitters in baseball. You hang one and he'll crush it.