PDA

View Full Version : Getting Sox vs. Cubs Tickets

joeynach
05-03-2004, 12:55 AM
I just got two tickets for the game on the 26th of June at the cell. Paid $65 a piece for two tickets for sec 163 in the bleachers. Got them on ebay, basically the only place for non season ticket holders to get them. There is quirk in the system which allows us to buy them at not such terrible inflated prices, as $65 aint bad for bleachers. When the seller is from illinois and the event is from illinois there is a cap on tickets sold on ebay. The cap for this was $130 for the pair. Double the exact price of the tickets, includes the tax. So what you do is sort the auctions by date and look for the ones which just started, have a long way to go. Since they just started the price will look low. See if the seller is from illinois. If he is there will be a price cap at double the face. Then bid the price cap. The rule states that is you are in state when you bid the price cap the auction is technically over, you win. You just have to wait until it officially ends, but no one else can bid higer than you, not even from out of state. Bam, you have safeguarded yourself from extreme prices and got some good tickets.

Cellview22
05-03-2004, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the heads up.

The only thing I don't like about that series is the fact that there's always so many Cubs fans at the game. I've never been to one of those series, but my coworker went last year and said it was about 50/50. There were just as many Cubs fans as Sox fans. It could be fun, but I'd probably be annoyed to no end.

This year since they're doing the ticketing different than previous years, will it make a difference.. will there be majority Sox fans this time? I'm a little confused how the tickets work for this series..

inta
05-03-2004, 09:56 AM
this ebay thing only helps to send more cubs fans to the sox/cubs series in my book. cubs fans will gleefully pay those ridiculous prices.

i would go to the sox/cubs series in a minute. but i'm not going to pay double or more for tickets to an interleague game.

dickallen15
05-03-2004, 10:53 AM
According to the last season ticketholder update, the games at US Cellular are sold out. So if Cub fans really want to be there, they had to buy tickets for those 3 plus 6 others. The majority there have always been and will always be Sox fans, by a pretty large margin.

batmanZoSo
05-03-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by dickallen15
According to the last season ticketholder update, the games at US Cellular are sold out. So if Cub fans really want to be there, they had to buy tickets for those 3 plus 6 others. The majority there have always been and will always be Sox fans, by a pretty large margin.

People just think it's 50/50 because they listen to people in the media who say stuff like that. And there are a lot more cub fans on those days then Oriole fans when they're in town. So it's always a shock to Sox fans. You can hear the difference in crowd noise and see the raised arms when the Sox do something. It's not that nuts when the cubs do something. It's probably 65/35. And a lot of cheap Sox fans are selling their tickets to cub fans, which pisses me off. Those are the same guys who go on Monday and Tuesday only and get in fights.

Clembasbal
05-03-2004, 11:40 AM
Regarding tickets being sold on the internet...there is also a website called Stub hub (http://www.stubhub.com)

It is a great site, and it is mostly season ticket holders selling their season ticket locations.

Try it, I have and have gotten great seats...like right behind home or the dugout.

blueeyes33
05-03-2004, 12:09 PM
sox fans wouldnt pay ridicioulous prices for cub/sox games?

just because your too cheap to pay for this game dont include yourself with everyone else.

these games (altho not as important) are the most exciting games of the year. i sure as hell do not mind paying a little extra for it.

and last year there were TONS of sox fans in attendence as well as cubs fans.we were right next to sosa, everyone was yelling corky.it was great.

i think paying extra is worth it at these series.

kittle42
05-03-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by blueeyes33
sox fans wouldnt pay ridicioulous prices for cub/sox games?

just because your too cheap to pay for this game dont include yourself with everyone else.

these games (altho not as important) are the most exciting games of the year. i sure as hell do not mind paying a little extra for it.

and last year there were TONS of sox fans in attendence as well as cubs fans.we were right next to sosa, everyone was yelling corky.it was great.

i think paying extra is worth it at these series.

Agreed. I have never missed one at either Comiskey or Wrigley. I have my three home games from the 9 plan, and I have one at Wrigley, so I'll be shelling out like $100 apiece for those other two Urinal games.

JoseCanseco6969
05-03-2004, 01:43 PM
I dont understand why the max selling price on ebay for the urinal games are between $500-$600 and the Cell games are maxed out at around $130 for a pair. Anyone know why this is????

kittle42
05-03-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by JoseCanseco6969
I dont understand why the max selling price on ebay for the urinal games are between $500-$600 and the Cell games are maxed out at around $130 for a pair. Anyone know why this is????

Because people would rather see the games at the "Friendly Confines" over July 4th weekend than trek down to the Cell and risk getting killed .

Fisk72
05-03-2004, 02:09 PM
I'm sure this has been discussed in the past, but I was curious if there will ever be a night game, ala Yankees/Mets?

kittle42
05-03-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Fisk72
I'm sure this has been discussed in the past, but I was curious if there will ever be a night game, ala Yankees/Mets?

I do believe the July 4th game at Wrigley is a Sunday night game.

jabrch
05-03-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by blueeyes33

Too cheap? Maybe we all can't afford $100 tickets to baseball games? I mean - I can go to a half dozen other games, or spend that money all on one game - and you call someone cheap because they chose to spend their entertainment budget spread out over a bunch of games rather than blow it all on one game?

Come on - Get the silver spoon out of your mouth for a bit and have some sensitivity for the rest of us.

npdempse
05-03-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Too cheap? Maybe we all can't afford $100 tickets to baseball games? I mean - I can go to a half dozen other games, or spend that money all on one game - and you call someone cheap because they chose to spend their entertainment budget spread out over a bunch of games rather than blow it all on one game?

Come on - Get the silver spoon out of your mouth for a bit and have some sensitivity for the rest of us.

Paying the primo prices for these games just means you didn't get on the stick--there was plenty of time to get a nine game package that includes the Cubs/Sox games. If you got it in the UD, the prices are totally reasonable, even on a limited baseball budget.

Foulke You
05-03-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
I do believe the July 4th game at Wrigley is a Sunday night game.

The magnetic schedules the Sox handed out on Opening Day this year have the July 4th game listed at 1:05 however, almost all the printed schedules and websites for both the Sox and Cubs still have the July 4th game listed as "TBA". My thinking is that they are trying to figure out if they can get better ratings having it as a night game or a day game and haven't decided yet. ESPN also might pick it up for a national broadcast. The fact that I still have yet to receive the tickets I purchased for this game yet indicates to me that they haven't made a solid decision yet.

joeynach
05-03-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Because people would rather see the games at the "Friendly Confines" over July 4th weekend than trek down to the Cell and risk getting killed .

Becuase the seller is probably from out of state or a licensed ticket broker, in which case there is no price cap. Idiots from all opver buy up tickets to wrigley and sell them at infalted prices, cub fans or not. They know almost all the games are sold out so they jack up the price, ala premier sports and the tribune company. They do the same thing in Boston.

huskie26
05-03-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
And a lot of cheap Sox fans are selling their tickets to cub fans, which pisses me off. Those are the same guys who go on Monday and Tuesday only and get in fights.

First let me say this is not an ad to get rid of tickets. I am sure that would be discouraged on these boards. However I have tickets to one of the Cubs/Sox games games at The Cell that will not be able to use. The majority of the people I know are Cub fans and there is a good possibility I will sell the tickets to one of them. There is a demand for Cubs tickets in this town. For the 84 Cubs games in Chicago this year there are 0 pairs of tickets for sale without going through a broker or stub hub or ebay. For Sox games in Chicago, 78 of the 84 games they play in the city have pairs of tickets available. The point I am trying to make is when you say "I have a pair of Cubs tickets that I can't use," raises a lot more ears then saying the same about the Sox.

I am a Sox fan and I take offense to your statement. The people that have these tickets are not cheap. Someone who is cheap does not drop $500 for a starting nine package or purchase season tickets, which was the only way one could acquire tickets to these games. Even if you scalped your tickets to all three games you would probably not be able to recoup what you originally spent and come out making money on the deal.

StillMissOzzie
05-04-2004, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by joeynach
I just got two tickets for the game on the 26th of June at the cell. Paid $65 a piece for two tickets for sec 163 in the bleachers. Got them on ebay, basically the only place for non season ticket holders to get them. There is quirk in the system which allows us to buy them at not such terrible inflated prices, as $65 aint bad for bleachers. When the seller is from illinois and the event is from illinois there is a cap on tickets sold on ebay. The cap for this was $130 for the pair. Double the exact price of the tickets, includes the tax. So what you do is sort the auctions by date and look for the ones which just started, have a long way to go. Since they just started the price will look low. See if the seller is from illinois. If he is there will be a price cap at double the face. Then bid the price cap. The rule states that is you are in state when you bid the price cap the auction is technically over, you win. You just have to wait until it officially ends, but no one else can bid higer than you, not even from out of state. Bam, you have safeguarded yourself from extreme prices and got some good tickets.

Nice plan, Joey, but I think there are some flaws in your premise. While it is true that Illinois does have anti-scalping laws in place, they have NOTHING to do with the "double the face amount" rule you mention. Ebay asks the seller what the face value of the tickets is, to cover their own a$$ from these laws. Truth is, they turn a blind eye to scalping, and I am sure that you can and will see some tickets where the seller is in IL and blithely says that the face value is 3 or 4 times the face value, especially for good seats, such as in sections 120-140.

SMO

ewokpelts
05-04-2004, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
People just think it's 50/50 because they listen to people in the media who say stuff like that. And there are a lot more cub fans on those days then Oriole fans when they're in town. So it's always a shock to Sox fans. You can hear the difference in crowd noise and see the raised arms when the Sox do something. It's not that nuts when the cubs do something. It's probably 65/35. And a lot of cheap Sox fans are selling their tickets to cub fans, which pisses me off. Those are the same guys who go on Monday and Tuesday only and get in fights. I sold my two games on ebay...the 400 bucks I made off flub fans helps pay my SEASON TICKETS.
Gene
p.s. You can set the Illinois Face value higher than actual face value. But that is a good idea to scout out prices that way.