PDA

View Full Version : The Month of May

elrod
05-02-2004, 11:55 PM
The White Sox have had a losing record in the month of May each of the last six years - including 2000. May was our only losing month last season - think of how the race would have turned out if we'd taken care of business early on. The last winning May was 1997 (after a dismal April).

I think this month will determine a lot. The schedule begins to get difficult. We'll see if people like Uribe are for real. And we'll see if a closer emerges - though I'm aware that the bullpen isn't as bad as it seems. We've had good starts before - 2002 comes to mind - but then collapsed around late April or early May. If we're still within a couple games of first by the end of May then I'll know this team is for real.

batmanZoSo
05-03-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by elrod
The White Sox have had a losing record in the month of May each of the last six years - including 2000. May was our only losing month last season - think of how the race would have turned out if we'd taken care of business early on. The last winning May was 1997 (after a dismal April).

I think this month will determine a lot. The schedule begins to get difficult. We'll see if people like Uribe are for real. And we'll see if a closer emerges - though I'm aware that the bullpen isn't as bad as it seems. We've had good starts before - 2002 comes to mind - but then collapsed around late April or early May. If we're still within a couple games of first by the end of May then I'll know this team is for real.

Konerko will be telling this month too. He's historically terrible in May. And Loaiza for all he's done, is 18-3 lifetime in April, so you never know, this could've been another Loaiza April and not a continuation of last year. I doubt that, but you never know.

But we definitely have to avoid the May swoon. We were even 13-15 in May of 2000, though some of that had to do with suspensions from the Tiger fight.

Hey, so far we're .667 in May, so can't complain yet. Let's see how we fare on the road. First stop, Baltimore facing the back end of their rotation.

MRKARNO
05-03-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by elrod
The last winning May was 1997 (after a dismal April).

Maybe if we have a winning May this year we can do like 1997 and trade away our hopes of going to the playoffs for prospects if we're 3.5 games behind the Twins at the break.

:reinsy

"We aren't going to catch them anyways."

elrod
05-03-2004, 12:12 AM
"Maybe if we have a winning May this year we can do like 1997 and trade away our hopes of going to the playoffs for prospects if we're 3.5 games behind the Twins at the break. "

Thankfully we didn't go 8-17 in April like we did in 1997. Interestingly, the Sox were 53-53 on July 31, the date of the infamous White Flag Trade. But after that date, the Sox went 27-28, hardly a late-season collapse. The Indians were 54-48 on July 31 and went 32-27 the rest of the season, before catching fire in the post-season. In 1997, May was the beginning of a return to respectability and .500. The Sox were 15-11 in May and 17-11 in June. But in July the Sox plateaued again, going 13-14. After dumping three big players the Sox continued to play at the same .500 level the rest of the way.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-03-2004, 12:24 AM
i don't think we'll have any huge losing streaks as long as ozzie is around. That's been said but we're on our way to the top baby