PDA

View Full Version : No Gettin Around It now!

soxwon
05-02-2004, 10:33 PM
we are a good team- a VERY good team, as the season goes on we will get stronger, no more compaining ok?
we are tied for first, we win 2 out of every 3 games, 3 out 4 from toronto, we are destined to win the division- and then some.
so praise the 2004 white sox!!!!

danjames
05-02-2004, 10:37 PM
Is this the Jinx Post that is supposed to work as the anti-Jinx? Mercy.

lowesox
05-02-2004, 10:52 PM
Easy does it. We have a few players playing well above their head. Uribe isn't going to hit over .350 this year. Olivo won't hit .300 this year. Harris won't hit .270 this year (Harris won't hit .220 this year). Hopefully, the wins will keep racking up, but we've had a LOT of luck so far. Let's not get cocky.

Nellie Comiskey
05-02-2004, 10:59 PM
Yes....the season has been exciting with thrilling wins and the Sox playing very good. However, let's keep things in perspective. No one has ever won the division by May 2. I am thrilled by the "life" and enthusiasm this team has displayed, however we all know the Sox need one more ligitimate starting pitcher and a left handed bat. Hopefully it will come from within(Cotts & J. Reed). Again the team should be commended, but if an injury occurs to a starting pitcher or an impact hitter how long will the Sox overcome 2-3 run deficits in the ninth inning. As a long time Sox fan I do not want to see them make the playoffs only to be eliminated in the first round. I want the whole thing. Also review Sox history....the times we made the post season: 1906, 1917, 1919, 1959, 1983, 1993 & 2000....never back=to=back post season appearances. Yes we all know 1994 could have been special, but we'll never know for sure. I think we have the team to make a serious run, we need one decent veteran starting pitcher(such as Tim Belcher in 1993) and a cheap Carl Everett lefthanded "gun for hire" bat. I do not want to trade the farm, but adding additional talent and veteran experience could be huge. Again, I know the idea behind this thread is to acknowledge and appreciate the early success and I applaud them, but let's not loose sight of the big prize. :comiskey

MRKARNO
05-02-2004, 11:15 PM
I am really excited about this team too, but I dont know if we're a very good team. I feel pretty good that this team is going to meet my prediction of 91 wins, but we have a real tough stretch coming up real soon which lasts through the main part of the season.

We see:
Baltimore twice
Minnesota Twice
Texas
Anaheim
An Oakland and Seattle Swing
Philly
Atlanta
Florida
Cubs
Minnesota
Cubs
Minnesota
Anaheim
Oakland
Seattle
Texas

There are only a few breaks in there and that takes us just a little past the all-star break. Plus we only have one off day the entire month of september. It aint going to be easy, but this team has a good offense, a rotation which looks pretty good 1-4 and a bullpen which is going to keep us in almost every game because it's really good.

If you have to ask me, so far this team looks a lot like the 2003 Giants in terms of being able to get it done in one-run games with a solid bullpen not containing big names. We dont have a Schmidt or a Bonds, but our rotation is probably better as a whole and our lineup is certainly better as a whole (though Bonds has such a huge impact on any lineup). That team won 100 games and got unlucky and had to face the amazing Marlins in the first round, but likely would have made it past the Braves and the Cubs if they had to.

ShoelessFred
05-03-2004, 01:52 AM
the whole season depends on our pitching. our offense is good enough to win the division.

Cellview22
05-03-2004, 09:50 AM
I think our pitching will hold up just fine. It should be an exciting year.. just this month has been the most exciting month that I can remember. But I'll need Paxil or something if my heart keeps pounding and skipping beats like it has been in these 1-run games.

By the way, if Texas loses tonight, and the Sox win, we'll have the best record in MLB. We'll be tied with a bunch of other teams, but no other team will have a better record than the White Sox!!!

The Critic
05-03-2004, 10:31 AM
Continuing to win the one-run games will be a huge key in the Sox quest for the AL Central title.
9-1 in one-run decisions so far = excellent!