PDA

View Full Version : Dear Brooks,

Jerome
05-02-2004, 08:25 PM
Everyone has their own ideas on what the Sox should do to attract more people to the Cell. You need to take action, because I am tired of seeing the ocean of blue on TV. I am tired of going to games and having my own section. (Especially against division rival KC). Here's what i think you should do:

1. Everyone loves the old retro Sox jerseys. So pick out the seven best, and each day of the week, the Sox should wear a different one (provided Ozzie and the players don't mind). I have a feeling that it would also increase jersey sales.

2. (courtesy of Harry from WMVP)- get a car dealership to do "car night"- one randomly selected fan drives home in a new car.

3. Do what ever you can in your power to try to get a Metra station close to the park. Sox fans in the suburbs would certainly appreciate it.

4. Try to get some restaurants and bars near the park. All Sox fans would love a "Comiskeyville".

5. Cut upper deck prices (At least for some games). No one sits up there anyway, and at least those who do would be willing to splurge on concessions if tickets were really cheap.

6. Send a memo to Dave Wills that not all of us have a inferiority complex with regards to the North Siders. I don't like the Cubs, but I would much rather talk about the Sox.

sincerely,
Jerome.

SoxFan76
05-02-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Jerome
4. Try to get some restaurants and bars near the park. All Sox fans would love a "Comiskeyville".
sincerely,
Jerome.

I don't agree with that one. Why would you want your team to be like the Cubs? Sox fans pride themselves on being fans of the game, not the surrounding neighborhood. Now yes, improving the neighborhood would only help the team, but I've been to Wrigley, and it's a pain in the ass to get around because of all the surrounding bars and restaurants.

Then I agree with you in a way, because there should be some things to do before/after the game. Just don't overdo it.

DMarte708
05-02-2004, 08:58 PM
3. Do what ever you can in your power to try to get a Metra station close to the park. Sox fans in the suburbs would certainly appreciate it.

I ride the Southwest Service line into Union station, and from my experience this plan is going to be difficult to impliment. No doubt it leaves plenty of time to tailgate, but notice outside of day games you're screwed getting home.

NOTE: SWS Metra is only servicable Monday through Friday. :angry:

batmanZoSo
05-02-2004, 09:12 PM

1. Everyone loves the old retro Sox jerseys. So pick out the seven best, and each day of the week, the Sox should wear a different one (provided Ozzie and the players don't mind). I have a feeling that it would also increase jersey sales.

That's just ridiculous. You ever hear of a team wearing a different jersey every day? I do love retro jerseys, but you do that once in a while. And with all our different uniforms, no one would know who we are if we changed every day.

Maybe we should do something like this: every year, pick a memorable Sox team to emphasize and remember (show highlights and recaps on the videoboard and during broadcasts from time to time) and wear their uniforms on maybe a dozen selected dates throughout the year. I would love to see the 59 jerseys dusted off and worn. I'd like to see Konerko cut off his sleeves a' la Ted Kluszewski.

I agree with all your other points. I've said for years that we need some hang outs across the street from the park. That would be awesome.

scottyl
05-03-2004, 12:26 AM

Some of the old jerseys are NOT good. The uniforms we have ARE great.

A new uniform everyday doesn't provide much of an identity.

If they do a throwback game a year, fine. But I don't think we should be tinkering with the uniforms.

If you want to sell more jerseys put them in the gift shop, not on the team. I'm sure the shorts will really fly off the shelves in August.

BeerHandle
05-03-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by DMarte708
I ride the Southwest Service line into Union station, and from my experience this plan is going to be difficult to impliment. No doubt it leaves plenty of time to tailgate, but notice outside of day games you're screwed getting home.

NOTE: SWS Metra is only servicable Monday through Friday. :angry:

No doubt there would have to be some negotiating to get this accomplished. Come on Brooks! We would love it!

Jerome
05-03-2004, 08:12 PM
Yes, the new uniform everyday wouldn't give the Sox much of an identity, but we'd be the only team to do something crazy like that. The Yankees started the pinstripes back when everyone else (I think in the 30s or 40s) was just wearing white and gray unis. Wouldn't it give Sox fans some pride to be the only team in the majors do do something wild like that? I'm not suggesting checkered unis (Dodgers tried for a few games a long time ago) or shorts (they would fly off the shelves *cough*), but anything to make a splash. And of course, only the tasteful retro jerseys. For example, the current unis, the 1917, 1959, 1977, red pinstripe jerseys, and maybe 1983. I don't know anyone who didn't enjoy the Sox breaking out the 83 jerseys last year.

jortafan
05-03-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by DMarte708

That's why you'd put any White Sox-oriented Metra train on the Rock Island line that runs through Beverly and southwestern Cook County out to Joliet. Those trains leaving downtown Chicago run as late as 12:30 a.m. during the week, and about 11 p.m. on weekends.

Irishsox1
05-03-2004, 11:02 PM
Yes to Metra train access to the southwest suburbs....NO to any jersey changes. The White Sox lead MLB in cheezy uniform changes.

AMestan
05-03-2004, 11:26 PM
Some of your ideas are great. However, in my opinion the current uniforms are great. I would put the front numbers on the home pinstripes on the arm, so we would have our own identity. I for one don't know anyone who liked the ugly 1983 softball uniforms. The 1983 uniforms look like a generic womens softball jersey.

ewokpelts
05-04-2004, 04:22 AM
Hey,
My 2 cents:
1. Metra: Great Idea(although I dont need it). Any Sox rail station would have special game hours. Just like Ravinia or bears games do. Considering that TWO lines pass within blocks of the cell, i think something could be done. BTW, the metra ravinia line only costs 4 bucks round trip.

2. Comiskeyvile - Dont you mean US Cellularvile? I dont want wrigleyville 2 here.

3. Uniforms - differint uni a day seems too muchlikea gimmick(to sell jerseys). How about every sunday home game, wear a reto uni. I'd break it down by month(April - 1906, May 1917, ect) Tat way, we honor our history, but also still wear our current(and very classic) uniforms mostof the time.
Gene

soxrme
05-04-2004, 06:23 AM
1. Metra idea great, from northwest burbs and south. It takes too long to drive fron NW burbs.
2. Uniforms- we have a great uniform now - leave it.
3. Last game I was at (Cubs last year) could not get into bullpen bar at 8th inning of game. Leave it open.
4. Stop this ridiculous rule of not being able to walk the lower concourse if you are in the upper deck. Over reaction to the two morons.
5. Parking prices are TOO HIGH.
6. Get another starting pitcher. (Don't know if you can help but pass it along to you know who).

SSN721
05-04-2004, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by ewokpelts

3. Uniforms - differint uni a day seems too muchlikea gimmick(to sell jerseys). How about every sunday home game, wear a reto uni. I'd break it down by month(April - 1906, May 1917, ect) Tat way, we honor our history, but also still wear our current(and very classic) uniforms mostof the time.
Gene

This I like. maybe every sunday or once a month pick a different retro jersey to wear. But everyday would definitely be too much. Would deem too cheap and gimmicky to me. Especially when we have the best jerseys right now. ANd I for one do like the '83 jerseys, they were quirky but I still own one anyway. :smile:

soxnut
05-04-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
Yes to Metra train access to the southwest suburbs....NO to any jersey changes. The White Sox lead MLB in cheezy uniform changes.

That's not true at all. Take a look at the Padres, Blue Jays, Rangers, Angels and Astros since the Sox changed their uniforms last(end of 1990). The Sox have had basically the same uniform, except for adding a "sleeveless" and unfortunately--black socks.Over the course of their history, sure the Sox have changed uniforms. But it gets annoying that people still refer to the Sox as a uniform changing team, when they've had the same one for the last 15 years, which is probably the longest span they've ever had.

Clembasbal
05-04-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by soxrme
5. Parking prices are TOO HIGH.

Jess...Meng. This is the best idea on urth. Go to St. Louis and watch a baseball game there...how much does it cost you to park...somewhere in the range of $5 or less. (Though you can pay higher if you want to). Go to Baltimore there is a parking garage about a mile away and it is cheap too, and you get to walk through the city.

JR is just running a monopoly with this parking scam, if we can somehow prove that he is price-gouging, then we can somehow lower the price. He is working off of the fact that there is nowhere else people can or will park around the Cell.

Also, I like the idea of bars and restaurants around the Cell...not too many though. But keep them open always, Gary Railcats added Abblebee's or something on their stadium and it always has a nice size crowd even when there is not a game...and that truly is the ghetto. JR won't go for that either, because if the area improves then parking in his lots will no longer be the only option and he will lose out. He should close down a lot and make one a two tier parking garage and in the closed one build bars and restaurants and clubs and whatever else to get people down there.

wdelaney72
05-04-2004, 10:47 AM
1. Don't touch the current uniforms, except maybe canning the black sleeve home jersey. I don't want to see retro jersey's more than twice a season.
2. Brooks himself said he wants to get away from gimmicks. I couldn't agree more. Giving away a free car will NOT draw people to the park.
3. This would be helpful
4. Be very careful about throwing "Comiskeyville" around. I'd like a few more establishments, but I don't want another Wrigleyville. I like a baseball game, not a frat party.
5. Cutting UD prices is a fairly good idea, especially for weekday games. Half-price Mondays and Tuesday's have proven to be successful.
6. Right-on about Willsy. He is an absolute embarrassment and needs to seriously grow up and get over his inferiority complex.

Always remember, a tradition of winning will market the team successfully by itself. But that's advice for JR and KW, not Brooks.

Cellview22
05-04-2004, 11:05 AM
Fans will always come when their hometeam is playing a popular, big-name team with big-name players. And since the Sox are in the AL Central and don't play the majority of their games against big-name teams, their crowds are gonna be smaller.

If the majority of our games were played against the Yankees, Cubs, or Giants, we'd average over 30k. One of the main reasons we draw low is because we're in the AL Central, and our only opponent in our division that draws big is the Twins. If we played all our games agains the Twins, we'd draw 30k, and that would be one of the best attendance figures in the league. And if we made it to the playoffs on a consistent basis, it would certaintly get higher.

The casual fan won't be coming to the park to see the D-Rays... UNLESS... there's a reason to go and spend all that money. A great idea would be giving away memorabia at the gates. For example, the first 15,000 get a free Sox t-shirt.. another night the first 15,000 get a free Sox towel.. or hat.. And make that an every night occurrence. So you know you're getting something valuable at the gate every night.

Another idea would be making a tradition where every time the Sox win by 3 or more runs, you can redeem your ticket at any Dunkin Donuts for a free donut :D: .

Clarkdog
05-04-2004, 11:58 AM

5. Cut upper deck prices (At least for some games). No one sits up there anyway, and at least those who do would be willing to splurge on concessions if tickets were really cheap.

#1: This idea diminshes the Sox identity, but I would agree that retro jerseys and the history of the Sox uniform is one that every fan enjoys - regardless of the bad fashion decisions of the past. Make all the jerseys available for sale at the gift shop, have a Mitchell and Ness nights throught the year where different jerseys are raffled away.

#3. This is a necessity. The loss of casual walkups from fan put off by the Dan Ryan and Stevenson and it's constant construction may be immeasurable, but definately a factor.

#5. I wouldn't cut prices here, but I would make these seats an everyday value. The Sox are slowly pricing the working class fan out of this ballpark. And the Sox have always been the team for the working class. If your are going to go after families - there are more working class families than any other type. The Sox opportunity here is rich if they will just deliver a value for families. The idea of three different prices for the UD is ridiculous. Make all UD tickets $15. Each ticket comes comes with a voucher for a hot dog and drink in a souvenir cup. That way any family of four to five can to come to a Sox game for under $100 w/ parking. In today's Chicago sports environment that is value. This deal would not apply on half-price nights.

Jerome
05-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Although I stand by my wild jersey-a-day suggestion, The Sox breaking out a different jersey every Sunday homegame would be a great idea. (I think they did that with the 1917 jerseys two years ago).

Also a great idea to lower parking prices and to let upper deck patrons access the main draw to the park (besides the Sox)- the concourse.

Finally, I wanted a Comiskeyville only because "US Cellularville" sounds like a cell phone store at a strip mall. (I'm not one of those fans who refuse to call it US Cellular Field.

SpartanSoxFan
05-04-2004, 05:21 PM
How about a turn the clock day that goes beyond just the retro uniforms??? How about vendors that get into the act as well??? Have consession prices and ticket prices that are retro themed??? No one can refuse that.