PDA

View Full Version : Tribune Columnist Sullivan says SOX get Less Coverage, because of "Attendance"

Hangar18
05-02-2004, 09:04 PM
I heard this bozo utter this BullJunk this morning on Am1000.
Mr. Sullivan was defending himself/media against Ozzies Accusations that the MEDIA favors the Cubs in this town in regards to media coverage (something ive been talking about for eons) and said Ozz was "ludicrous" for bringing that up. He said "Attendance" at both ballparks, and not Media Bias is what makes the MEdia decide WHO to cover more.

What a bunch of BullJunk.

So in other words my fellow Sox Fans, Its OUR FAULT because we Didnt Fill up Comiskey this past weekend.

TornLabrum
05-02-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Mr. Sullivan was defending himself/media against Ozzies Accusations that the MEDIA favors the Cubs in this town in regards to media coverage (something ive been talking about for eons) and said Ozz was "ludicrous" for bringing that up. He said "Attendance" at both ballparks, and not Media Bias is what makes the MEdia decide WHO to cover more.

So in other words my fellow Sox Fans, Its OUR FAULT because we Didnt Fill up Comiskey this past weekend.

Yeah, the weather was absolutely gorgeous! Why didn't all of you join me out there yesterday and today and freeze your tails off, too?

wilburwood
05-02-2004, 09:13 PM
So what came first the chicken or the egg. I would have asked him if he thinks the constant negative barrage the Sox have gotten from the media concerning the park, upper deck, management could have a negative effect on attendance. What is the story for a writer the people watching the game or the game itself?? Stupid stupid media in this town.....

johnny bench
05-02-2004, 09:29 PM

If you had a business, wouldn't you sell to the largest possible number of customers, especially the customers willing to spend money?

Last Sunday, I went to the Mets game on the north side. There were 40K people in attendance on a really cold day. The normal 12K were at the Cell on that same day. Face facts. There is a lot more of them than there is of us, at least today.

If I were a baseball writer or a radio guy, you better believe that I'd be talking more about the northsiders than the Sox. I'd also talk a lot about the Yankees and Red Sox too. In fact, I'd say any stupid thing that occurred to me, even if I didn't think it was true, if I thought that it would make people talk about me and listen to my show or read my column.

I like Sullivan; he has earned my respect. He's a straight shooter and doesn't really play the game. Maybe that's why he's a beat reporter and not a columnist.

Hangar18
05-02-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by johnny bench
If you had a business, wouldn't you sell to the largest possible number of customers, especially the customers willing to spend money?

Last Sunday, I went to the Mets game on the north side. There were 40K people in attendance on a really cold day. The normal 12K were at the Cell on that same day. Face facts. There is a lot more of them than there is of us, at least today.

If I were a baseball writer or a radio guy, you better believe that I'd be talking more about the northsiders than the Sox. I'd also talk a lot about the Yankees and Red Sox too. In fact, I'd say any stupid thing that occurred to me, even if I didn't think it was true, if I thought that it would make people talk about me and listen to my show or read my column.

I like Sullivan; he has earned my respect. He's a straight shooter and doesn't really play the game. Maybe that's why he's a beat reporter and not a columnist.

OK, how does this explain the Attention they were getting when they STUNK, and Noone was going to THEIR Games? People (the media) seem to forget that all the time these days........
Not to mention the constant and daily reminders of Things being so bad at Comiskey (fans running field, man murdered near comiskey) and things being COVERED UP and not reported up North (serial rapist stalks "lakeview", fans throwing cellphones at PadrePlayers, man murdered in "lakeview", 2 men have altercation with police at north side "L station") Do this for 20 years, and see what happens ..............

Lip Man 1
05-02-2004, 09:48 PM
Hangar:

Before you get all bent out of shape remember Sully is a die hard Sox fan. I suggest you re-read his WSI Interview. He doesn't care for good ole Uncle Jerry and certainly isn't an apologist for him.

Lip

johnny bench
05-02-2004, 10:05 PM
OK, how does this explain the Attention they were getting when they STUNK, and Noone was going to THEIR Games? People (the media) seem to forget that all the time these days........
Not to mention the constant and daily reminders of Things being so bad at Comiskey (fans running field, man murdered near comiskey) and things being COVERED UP and not reported up North (serial rapist stalks "lakeview", fans throwing cellphones at PadrePlayers, man murdered in "lakeview", 2 men have altercation with police at north side "L station") Do this for 20 years, and see what happens ..............

Stuff happens on both sides of town. But that wasn't really what Sullivan was talking about. He's saying that the team with more attendance will get more ink and pub. I think that the media are only acting in a rational way when they do so. There is no obligation on the part of the baseball media to be "fair and balanced", only to make money.

RKMeibalane
05-02-2004, 10:11 PM
Stuff happens on both sides of town. But that wasn't really what Sullivan was talking about. He's saying that the team with more attendance will get more ink and pub. I think that the media are only acting in a rational way when they do so. There is no obligation on the part of the baseball media to be "fair and balanced", only to make money.

If the media is really so concerned about making money, then they need to report on the team that is playing the best at a particular time. People are much more likely to buy a newspaper or a sports magazine if they know that the material covered in there will be about teams that have been winning, or teams that have a chance to accomplish something special. Nobody wants to read about a team that loses ninety games every year. Yet, the media insists on promoting a team like the Cubs, in spite of the fact that they absolutely suck (and have for the past five thousand years, or so it seems :D: ).

A number of WSI members are fed up with the media for this reason. I agree that there are currently more Cubs fans than there are Sox fans. However, the one question I keep asking myself is what percentage of these people are Cubs fans just because the media tells them they should be. I honestly believe that if the media were to be more objective when covering baseball in Chicago, a number of people would choose the Sox over the Cubs. People are being brainwashed here. The sooner everyone realizes it, the better off things will be.

johnny bench
05-02-2004, 10:18 PM
RK:

You'll have to console yourself with the knowledge that you are one of the enlightened and not one of the sheep.

JB

Irishsox1
05-02-2004, 10:43 PM
Sullivan is the same Bozo who said that Carlos Lee was the worst left fielder in major league baseball.

johnny bench
05-02-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
Sullivan is the same Bozo who said that Carlos Lee was the worst left fielder in major league baseball.

Maybe you never saw CLee attempt to catch a fly ball inside the Metrodome.

Daver
05-02-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1

He's a Bozo for being correct?

santo=dorf
05-02-2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Daver
He's a Bozo for being correct?

Worse than Raul Mondesi or Barry Bonds?

Lip Man 1
05-02-2004, 11:49 PM
Barry Bonds has won numerous Gold Gloves. Carlos has worked hard and improved but the only way he ever gets a Gold Glove is if he bronzes his own.

Lip

fquaye149
05-03-2004, 12:02 AM

Maybe you never saw CLee attempt to catch a fly ball inside the Metrodome.

Is Carlos Lee the only ball player to have trouble catching fly balls in the biggest disgrace of a ballpark in baseball?

Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Barry Bonds has won numerous Gold Gloves. Carlos has worked hard and improved but the only way he ever gets a Gold Glove is if he bronzes his own.

Lip

Barry Bonds might have been a better LF than Carlos. In fact he WAS a better LF than Carlos. But Barry hasn't won a gold glove in a long long while, and I'd venture a guess that right now Carlos plays better defense. He can at least run a little bit. And come to think of it, even when Barry was in his prime he couldn't throw Sid Bream out from the edge of the infield dirt.

But seriously, I think you would be hard pressed to say Carlos Lee isn't at least as good a defensive left fielder right now as Barry or for that matter, Manny.

TDog
05-03-2004, 12:09 AM
I'm far removed from the Chicago media, but the problem her is obvious. Journalistically, the White Sox are a better story than the Cubs. The fact that Chicago's major newspapers are making excuses for emphasizing the Cubs reflects poorly on the insitutions, some of which can benefit financially from unethically promoting the Cubs.

Reporters and columnists who would rather sell papers than get a good story are known in the trade as hacks.

The story here is that people haven't noticed that the Sox have an exciting team. It isn't that you have a large group of rabid Cubs fans and a small group of rabid Sox fans. The casual fans have been told that the Cubs are going to the World Series this year and there is no reason to pay attention to the Sox. When you see attendance stories, the emphasis isn't on why people haven't discovered that the Sox are an exciting team that play in a fan-friendly environment, its a constant drone of "nobody cares, and here's why you shouldn't either."

In 1984, when the Sox were outdrawing the Cubs early in the season (after becoming the first Chicago team to draw more than 2 million in a season), the Cubs still managed to get extensive coverage with stories about how they don't stink this year.

The only way the Sox are going to get any attention in the local media is if they do well and the Cubs are a major disappointment. That is why I wish the Cubs so much ill will.

Irishsox1
05-03-2004, 12:27 AM
Carlos isn't the best outfielder in the world, but Sullivan is a bozo for saying that Carlos is the WORST outfielder in MLB. The guy comes across as a total idiot when he makes blanket a observation. Anyways, Sullivan is a small, ugly, nerdy pud living in Wrigleyville. I've seen him out a couple of times, and he has the face for newspaper.

wilburwood
05-03-2004, 04:21 AM
Carlos is the worst outfielder??? this clown has not seen any bounce off Shammy's coconut??

34rancher
05-03-2004, 07:44 AM
So basically what has been told to us all of these years is wrong???? Win and we will cover you?? Seems like a sham.

Railsplitter
05-03-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by wilburwood
Carlos is the worst outfielder??? this clown has not seen any bounce off Shammy's coconut??

This was before Lee nailed that guy trying to score on a short fly yesterday?

Hangar18
05-03-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Hangar:

Before you get all bent out of shape remember Sully is a die hard Sox fan. I suggest you re-read his WSI Interview. He doesn't care for good ole Uncle Jerry and certainly isn't an apologist for him.

Lip

If hes truly a Sox Fan, then even HE should be able to Answer the Chicago Media Proverbial Question: What came 1st? the Chicken or the Egg? For him to follow the same TIRED Media Excuse for why that other team is so popular........isnt doing HIM or us any justice. Im slamming his Statement, not his allegiance ......

Hangar18
05-03-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by TDog
I'm far removed from the Chicago media, but the problem her is obvious. Journalistically, the White Sox are a better story than the Cubs. The fact that Chicago's major newspapers are making excuses for emphasizing the Cubs reflects poorly on the insitutions, some of which can benefit financially from unethically promoting the Cubs.

Reporters and columnists who would rather sell papers than get a good story are known in the trade as hacks.

its a constant drone of "nobody cares, and here's why you shouldn't either."

In 1984, when the Sox were outdrawing the Cubs early in the season (after becoming the first Chicago team to draw more than 2 million in a season), the Cubs still managed to get extensive coverage with stories about how they don't stink this year.

The only way the Sox are going to get any attention in the local media is if they do well and the Cubs are a major disappointment. That is why I wish the Cubs so much ill will.

May I vote this post for POST OF THE MONTH/YEAR? I totally REMEMBER 1983/84.....that was Cubbie Camelot Year Zero for me.......when, despite how good we were, they were gettting as much Undeserved Attention as the SOX........ Again, WHY I HATE THE CUBS AND WISH THEM BADLY

Dan H
05-03-2004, 02:05 PM
The upshot of this is that Guillen has the media on the run. They called him a whiner and a few other things, but the Sox manager hit a real nerve. And they have been defending themselves ever since.

nlentz88
05-03-2004, 03:50 PM
Wow. Tdog, that was one hell of a post! Well thought out and well written. Iíd second Hangarís nomination for Post of the Month. Nicely said.

I understand where Sullivan is coming from regarding the relationship between attendance and media coverage. One could even stretch the supposition to say that the greater a teamís fanbase, the greater the teamís coverage. Itís simple, really. As was mentioned in another thread, Illinoisí baseball fanbase breaks down to 53% Cub fans, 17% Cardinal fans, and 17% Sox fans according to SI (these figures may not be dead on, but I believe them to be fairly representative). Furthermore, the Cubs have a larger national fanbase thanks to the WGN Superstation and the national circulation of the Tribune. The bottom line is there are more Cubs fans than Sox fans out there. Itís natural for media outlets and sports journalists to favor stories about the Cubs at the expense of the Sox since there are more readers/listeners/viewers interested in Cubby love than Sox grit. I understand this, and although it saddens me, I accept it. I too wonder about the ďchicken or the eggĒ theory that questions whether or not the Sox would have a larger fanbase if the media were fair and balanced in their coverage. However, as Hangar has pointed out time and time again in his Chicago Media Updated (thanks for keeping those going, Hangar), the media is obviously slanted in favor of the Boys in Blue in Lakeview. As I said, the imbalance in the media saddens me, but I understand where it comes from and I accept it as an inevitable consequence of being a fan of the less popular team in town.

However, what I cannot accept is the disrespect the media often has for the Sox. Mariottiís constant use of the phrase ďThe Ballmall Formerly Known as ComiskeyĒ is a slap in every Sox fanís face. Sure, Sox fans know that the Cell isnít the perfect place to watch a ballgame, yet itís our home field. We enjoy watching our team there and donít take kindly to people disrespecting it out of habit and without acknowledging the improvements made over the past few years. Furthermore, the media has been focusing on the Soxí low attendance this month and often reflects on it in a contemptuous tone. Sox fans will agree that they are more interested in hearing/reading about the amazing comeback win their team just earned instead of the same old cracks about attendance. Likewise, Sox fans are able to compare for themselves the tone in which the media portrays the Sox and Cubs teams in general. While the Cubs have been christened the 2004 World Series Champions since the waning months of 2003, the Sox are relegated to ďalso-ranĒ status despite the fact that their record this season has consistently placed them at or near first place in our division.

Similarly, Sox fans suffer from this lack of respect outside of the media world and out in our daily activities. I live on the north side of the city, and there have been countless times when Iíve been walking down the street wearing my Sox gear and have had Cubs fans make snide remarks to me as they drove by in their Land Rovers or Lexus SUVs. Or God forbid you go to a north side bar and ask the bartender to turn the TV channel to the Sox game from Wheel of Fortune. And attempting to have a conversation with a Cubs fan about baseball almost always degenerates into a rehashing of attacks on umpires and first base coaches, low attendance, and the Big Hurtís latest discontent words on his contract. Cubs fans canít talk to Sox fans about the amazing success of our bullpen this season, or Juan (often written as ďJoseĒ in the Sun Times) Uribeís unbelievable April, or the emergence of Garland as a solid starter. The media has been so focused on disrespecting the Sox that the Cub community continues to rehash these same old topics instead of acknowledging the magic that Guillen has brought to 35th and Shields.

Yes, there arenít as many Sox fans in this city or country, but that doesnít mean Cub fans or anyone else have a right to disrespect us. I understand why thereís more media coverage of the Cubs, why sporting wear stores stock more Cubs gear than Sox gear, and why the CTA spends more money on painting the Addison stop of the Red Line than on the 35th Street stop. I understand it, I accept it, and it saddens me. I will NOT accept a lack of respect, though. There are more white people in this country than there are people of another ethnicity, and our media obviously is slanted towards whites. Commercials are for products intended for white consumers, most TV programs are intended for a white audience, etc. However, that doesnít give the media the right to disrespect people of other ethnicities. To do so would cause an uproar. Now, I know that comparing racism to the bias against the Sox community is a stretch; obviously one involves a serious issue that has broad consequences for our society at large and for individuals subjected to institutional racism and targeted racism while the other involves something as trivial as allegiance to an entertainment entity. However, I think this comparison does show how a large community can dominate the media at the expense of a smaller community, but that such dominance should not come at the expense of respect for the smaller community.

The wise sage Dangerfield often said, ďI donít get no respect,Ē and as a Sox fan I often find myself repeating this mantra. The discrepancy in attendance doesnít bother me; it just means I donít have to wait in line for the head or for a beer. The bias in the media does sadden me, but I know that TV and newspapers are fickle things that shift allegiances over the decades. Nevertheless, I cannot forgive disrespect. In my opinion, Sox fans should be focusing on the issue of respect. We cannot expect the media coverage to be equal and balanced. However, it is not unthinkable to demand respect for our team, for our baseball park, and for us, the fans of the Chicago White Sox.
Go Sox!

LongLiveFisk
05-03-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by wilburwood
So what came first the chicken or the egg. I would have asked him if he thinks the constant negative barrage the Sox have gotten from the media concerning the park, upper deck, management could have a negative effect on attendance. What is the story for a writer the people watching the game or the game itself?? Stupid stupid media in this town.....

I agree completely. Unfortunately society is filled with people incapable of an original thought or opinion. If they hear something bad, they go along with it. If they hear something good, they go along with that. The sheep are out in abundance, folks. I mean, there must be SOME explanation for the popularity of not only the Cubs, but N Sync, Britney Spears, (and the list goes on and on), that I feel have nothing to offer, but HEY, THE MEDIA SAYS THEY'RE GOOD, SO BY GOLLY THEY MUST BE! Yes, they do have some legitimate fans, but the bandwagoners really put these entities ridiculously over the top. And real fans don't like bandwagoners, but their dollars are worth just as much so you can count on these people milking it for everything they can get.

But yes, I do think the Sox attendance could be helped out a little if we could get some regular positive press. :smile:

(And sorry if I offended anyone with my specific examples; I was just trying to make a point!) :D: