PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle will pitch on 3 days rest; Wright's return not certain


MRKARNO
05-02-2004, 07:54 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040502&content_id=734295&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

This article answers a lot of questions we've had here.

Yes Buehrle is going to go on 3-days rest in Baltimore, but he'll have 5 days to recover from that start.

There is a chance we might not need the 5th starter until May 17th or so against the Indians if we send someone on short rest.

If Wright can't get the job done in AAA, it's a good possibility that Felix Diaz will get the call based on the amazing way he's been pitching.

Cotts will probably not be the 5th starter at all this year, barring unusually bad circumstances. Ozzie really likes how he's pitching out of the bullpen.

batmanZoSo
05-02-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040502&content_id=734295&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

This article answers a lot of questions we've had here.

Yes Buehrle is going to go on 3-days rest in Baltimore, but he'll have 5 days to recover from that start.

There is a chance we might not need the 5th starter until May 17th or so against the Indians if we send someone on short rest.

If Wright can't get the job done in AAA, it's a good possibility that Felix Diaz will get the call based on the amazing way he's been pitching.

Cotts will probably not be the 5th starter at all this year, barring unusually bad circumstances. Ozzie really likes how he's pitching out of the bullpen.

Felix Diaz is lights out down there I heard. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't he have 20 something strikeouts and 3 walks?

MRKARNO
05-02-2004, 08:05 PM
Diaz so far this year:
4-0 W-L
2.01 ERA
29 K
3 BB
31.1 IP
0.83 WHIP

He Leads the international league in K's and is the only IL pitcher with 4 wins

batmanZoSo
05-02-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Diaz so far this year:
4-0 W-L
2.01 ERA
29 K
3 BB
31.1 IP
0.83 WHIP


Analysis--that's pretty good. Where did we get him? Was it San Fran?

Daver
05-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Analysis--that's pretty good. Where did we get him? Was it San Fran?

Yes,Kenny got him in return for Kenny Lofton.

delben91
05-02-2004, 08:22 PM
Sweet, so I get to see Buehrle pitch on Wednesday at the Yard. Nice!!

:gulp:

SoxxoS
05-02-2004, 09:25 PM
I don't like this at all. Why not give Diaz a chance. IIRC, the biggest knock on him was his durbility, not his stuff. He is doing everything and more asked of him at Charlotte, and instead, we are pitching our "co-ace" on 3 days rest in early May.

This makes no sense. Just bring the kid up to see what he can do. Who knows how good he is...maybe he's another Dontrelle.

(Yes, very highly unlikely, but you never know.)

34 Inch Stick
05-03-2004, 09:55 AM
I'm with you Soxxos. Buhrle has been logging a lot of pitches each outing this year. I would rather throw Wright one last time than have Buhrle overworking. Of course there are many other options to Wright, but the point is save Buhrle. It would be better for him to get one extra day rather than one less day.

nasox
05-03-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I'm with you Soxxos. Buhrle has been logging a lot of pitches each outing this year. I would rather throw Wright one last time than have Buhrle overworking. Of course there are many other options to Wright, but the point is save Buhrle. It would be better for him to get one extra day rather than one less day.

I agree with you and soxxos. And we should mention how much everyone has said about Buehrle pitching so much that an injury is inevitable. IMHO, we should be cautious with him, and give him the hook at 105 or 110 pitches in the count. MB is too important for this team to not be handled well. This isn't the North Side where when a manager mishandles his pitchers, he gets called the best manager in the league..... :D:

DrCrawdad
05-03-2004, 11:05 AM
On Saturday night on the SCORE David Schuster was on with the hosts giving the post-game wrap-up and news that Wright was sent down. Schuster was asked what pitcher might be in line to be called up. Schuster showed himself uninformed as he admitted that he wasn't aware how the Sox minor league pitchers were doing. Great job there Schuster!

When I heard Schuster say that I immediately called the SCORE with a report on Felix Diaz. The hosts said that they wouldn't want an unproven minor leaguer in the 5th spot, after they dumped me.

Sunday morning I faxed in to the SCORE Diaz' numbers, which I had copied from WSI.

Lip Man 1
05-03-2004, 02:04 PM
Dr. Crawdad says: "The hosts said that they wouldn't want an unproven minor leaguer in the 5th spot."

Who said all the SCORE hosts are dumb?

Lip

pudge
05-03-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Dr. Crawdad says: "The hosts said that they wouldn't want an unproven minor leaguer in the 5th spot."

Who said all the SCORE hosts are dumb?

Lip

Lip, normally I would agree, but when someone is putting up numbers like Diaz, you gotta take a shot... it'd be a lot better than Wright, and a lot better than burning out our aces early.

habibharu
05-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040502&content_id=734295&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

This article answers a lot of questions we've had here.

Yes Buehrle is going to go on 3-days rest in Baltimore, but he'll have 5 days to recover from that start.

There is a chance we might not need the 5th starter until May 17th or so against the Indians if we send someone on short rest.

If Wright can't get the job done in AAA, it's a good possibility that Felix Diaz will get the call based on the amazing way he's been pitching.

Cotts will probably not be the 5th starter at all this year, barring unusually bad circumstances. Ozzie really likes how he's pitching out of the bullpen. i agree with not putting cotts in the rotation. we should bring him along slowly, like buehrle, then let him win a spot next year

pearso66
05-03-2004, 05:22 PM
My question is if we never play our unproven guys, how do they become proven? So this means we shouldn't bring pitching up from our own system? i dont get it

Railsplitter
05-03-2004, 09:17 PM
I was mildly amused by all these people fearing overwortked pitchers. It may surprise some of you, but four man rotations used to be the norm. I for one think that if the fifth starter's turn pops up on an off day, to pitch the #1 guy the day after the off day.

SoxxoS
05-03-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
I was mildly amused by all these people fearing overwortked pitchers. It may surprise some of you, but four man rotations used to be the norm. I for one think that if the fifth starter's turn pops up on an off day, to pitch the #1 guy the day after the off day.

It was the norm, back then. Now is a different time, and you have to prepare for such a thing.

ode to veeck
05-03-2004, 09:42 PM
especially if your #5 is danny-boy ...

Lip Man 1
05-03-2004, 09:53 PM
Pudge says: "Lip, normally I would agree, but when someone is putting up numbers like Diaz, you gotta take a shot... it'd be a lot better than Wright, and a lot better than burning out our aces early."

They can always do what the Yankees do....trade two or three kids for somebody who knows what he's doing. To me that's the answer to the problem.

Lip

Daver
05-03-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Pudge says: "Lip, normally I would agree, but when someone is putting up numbers like Diaz, you gotta take a shot... it'd be a lot better than Wright, and a lot better than burning out our aces early."

They can always do what the Yankees do....trade two or three kids for somebody who knows what he's doing. To me that's the answer to the problem.

Lip

The Yankees have no choice but to do that,they have no farm system to speak of,because they have fallen into a cycle where they will overspend young talent for veterans.At some point you have to draw the line,are you going to develop talent,or are you going to use your minor league system as buying power.

MRKARNO
05-03-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Pudge says: "Lip, normally I would agree, but when someone is putting up numbers like Diaz, you gotta take a shot... it'd be a lot better than Wright, and a lot better than burning out our aces early."

They can always do what the Yankees do....trade two or three kids for somebody who knows what he's doing. To me that's the answer to the problem.

Lip

Face it Lip, we're not the Yankees. We dont have George Steinbrenner. We'll never be the most popular team in the largest city in America. That is not to say that we can't ever have success, it's just that if we do it's because our farm system is producing high quality talent with a good mix of veteran talent. Even the Yankees had to build through the farm system at some point. Jeter, Soriano, Pettite, Posada, Rivera...all products of the yankee farm system.

Lip Man 1
05-03-2004, 10:52 PM
Daver says: "At some point you have to draw the line,are you going to develop talent,or are you going to use your minor league system as buying power."

Considering the Yankees track record compared to ours and considering the on field input from all of our kids over the past ten years I think "it's time," we started using our minor league system as buying power.

And I'm not saying the Sox should be the Yankees but they CAN use their idea of minor league players as trade fodder for veterans who know what they are doing. Only difference is that instead of getting a guy who makes ten million a season, they go out and get a guy who makes four million.

Either way it's a much better alternative to the Danny Wright's, Brian Keyser's, Josh Fogg's and Mike Bertotti's of the world (and you can throw in Aaron Rowand for good measure...)

Lip

Thigpen Rules
05-03-2004, 10:57 PM
I would love to see either Diaz or Cotts emerge, whomever has to be better than ole danny boy

DrCrawdad
05-04-2004, 09:19 AM
Ah, the oft repeated "veteran presence." Seems to me that the minor leagues are the place to prove oneself. Of course, what counts though is how a pitcher does in MLB.

For a fifth stater Diaz or another minor league arm is not a bad option, IMO.

jabrch
05-04-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Daver
Yes,Kenny got him in return for Kenny Lofton.



Another stupid KW deal, huh? The great Billy Beane would have found much better talent in the 42nd round of the draft instead. In particular, he'd find someone with bigger titties than Diaz.

The more KW has time to let stuff work, the more I like him. If only he had a few extra $million to play with.

jabrch
05-04-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Pudge says: "Lip, normally I would agree, but when someone is putting up numbers like Diaz, you gotta take a shot... it'd be a lot better than Wright, and a lot better than burning out our aces early."

They can always do what the Yankees do....trade two or three kids for somebody who knows what he's doing. To me that's the answer to the problem.

Lip

That's nice Lip - what color is the sky in your world? We are running a team on a 65mm budget. Adding a solid veteran SP at this point is unrealistic. It is too early in the season for any team to trade one cheaply - and we can't afford to eat a full contract right now. Let's be realistic...

elrod
05-04-2004, 10:29 AM
Remember, we haven't had a good 5th starter in years. If Felix Diaz bombs, he'd be no worse than anybody else. Give him a chance.