PDA

View Full Version : Best Game of the Year?

starboy0
05-02-2004, 07:35 PM
Just heard an Ozzie soundbite on 670 saying "This was the best played game of the year." ABSOLUTELY!

Pitching: Garland was great. The Sox really needed a 3 out of 4 from Toronto. Jon responded and gave up only 2 runs and went seven innings.

Rookies step up: Willie Harris. Is it wrong to let him play 2nd base and let him develop? He had a great day. Offensivley: Double, run scored, rbi, bunt single. Defensively: A beautiful shovel toss to Uribe to start a double play.

Offense: Small ball and long ball. 2 of the runs were manufactured and Frank hit the longball. A winning combination. Batista pitched a great game but the Sox found the way to win.

Defense: Carlos fires a lasar to Miguel to prevent the runner scoring from 3rd. That was HUGE!

Closer: Billie got it right today. He really seems to have turned the corner from trying to blow people away and instead putting it where they ain't. His location was outstanding today. You could tell he was all about hitting spots.

All through the game I just had a good feeling. The Sox were in control and playing good baseball.

soltrain21
05-02-2004, 07:37 PM
The thing I was most impressed with was Magg's rifle to home. The guy was still safe but Maggs had ALL his weight going to the right and fired a LASER home that almost got the guy..

Great game all around, definitely...

JohnBasedowYoda
05-02-2004, 07:38 PM
Well put buddy, going places is all about "finding the way" to win. If we can do this to a pitcher that is dominating, instead of flying out to the warning track, it will be a good season

MRKARNO
05-02-2004, 07:40 PM
The game you saw today was definitional Ozzieball. Good defense. Good Starting pitching. Good bullpen work. 2 runs were manufactured and one by homer.

batmanZoSo
05-02-2004, 07:42 PM
This easy the most soundly played game of the year. We had good pitching, great defense and we manufactured runs.

voodoochile
05-02-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by soltrain21
The thing I was most impressed with was Magg's rifle to home. The guy was still safe but Maggs had ALL his weight going to the right and fired a LASER home that almost got the guy..

Great game all around, definitely...

I thought that was one of the best defensive plays I have seen in a while. Maggs had to run a long way to even get the ball, caught in on the dead run and then fired a strike to Olivo at the plate across his body. Like you said, the guy was safe, but still, one heck of an effort.

In general the Sox are starting to resemble a baseball team. Defense is improving, they are making good use of small ball without over doing it. They aren't asking the top of the order to play small ball, but when the #8 hitter is on 2nd with nobody out, it makes sense to have the #9 guy bunt him over and then Willie hit a sac fly to bring him in.

[Mr Obvious]When you win by one run, they are all big.[/Mr. Obvious]

Cooper is just such a huge improvement over Nardi, it isn't even close to funny...

chidonez
05-02-2004, 08:19 PM
It was the best I've seen so far. I'm glad I made it to the game. BTW, it was a lot warmer inside the park in the sun than one might have guessed from the outside or sitting at home.

batmanZoSo
05-02-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I thought that was one of the best defensive plays I have seen in a while. Maggs had to run a long way to even get the ball, caught in on the dead run and then fired a strike to Olivo at the plate across his body. Like you said, the guy was safe, but still, one heck of an effort.

In general the Sox are starting to resemble a baseball team. Defense is improving, they are making good use of small ball without over doing it. They aren't asking the top of the order to play small ball, but when the #8 hitter is on 2nd with nobody out, it makes sense to have the #9 guy bunt him over and then Willie hit a sac fly to bring him in.

[Mr Obvious]When you win by one run, they are all big.[/Mr. Obvious]

Cooper is just such a huge improvement over Nardi, it isn't even close to funny...

Coop is the best pitching coach in the game in my opinion. I loooooove Coop.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/hawk.jpg
"Well...I'll say this. You know, it's hard to say anyone's the BEST, but there ain't nobody BETTER."

SoxFan76
05-02-2004, 09:16 PM
It was a great game. Like it has been said, they showed a combination of small ball and long ball. Batista looked good, but that doesn't matter when you got guys putting down sac bunts and hitting sac flys. Great game to watch as a baseball fan. Especially taking 3 out of 4. That is not an easy task.

Dadawg_77
05-02-2004, 09:25 PM
Maybe everyone missed the fact they score only 3 runs off of Miguel Batista. That is not a good day at the plate. We won this game due to good pitching and defense holding the Jays to two runs. Not because of Ozzieball, if Ozzieball can get three runs a game, the Sox are going to lose more games then they win.

soltrain21
05-02-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Maybe everyone missed the fact they score only 3 runs off of Miguel Batista. That is not a good day at the plate. We won this game due to good pitching and defense holding the Jays to two runs. Not because of Ozzieball, if Ozzieball can get three runs a game, the Sox are going to lose more games then they win.

Batista had his best stuff today. Most of the time we LOSE when pitchers have their best stuff, we roll over and die. But not today...

Lip Man 1
05-02-2004, 09:50 PM
The turnaround in the attitude of this team is remarkable and a tribute to the job Ozzie and his staff has done.

If only we had the talent that they had last year then you could really imagine some remarkable things.

Get off the pot kenny and start plugging the holes.

Lip

chisoxfan4life
05-02-2004, 09:55 PM
It sure was a great game today. It was my first game I got to all year because of a conflicting HS baseball schedule, and was very pleased. Also, someone mentioned this earlier, it was very warm at the park. I had to take my sweatshirt off and even got a little bit of a tan.

MRKARNO
05-02-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The turnaround in the attitude of this team is remarkable and a tribute to the job Ozzie and his staff has done.

If only we had the talent that they had last year then you could really imagine some remarkable things.

Lip

Do you want to give Credit to Jerry Reinsdorf at this point for pushing the hiring of Ozzie? If it were up to KW, we might have Cito Gaston as our manager now. I think Reinsdorf certainly deserves most of the credit for the hiring.

batmanZoSo
05-02-2004, 10:27 PM

Lip

I totally agree. Ozzie looks like he's the type of manager that can win us a world series. He can be the difference. We have to get him the horses to do it though. Other managers let our guys choke in the playoffs every year. I don't see that happening under Ozzie.

On another note...What's the definition of Ozzieball? In my opinion it just applies to small ball and comebacks. Because that's all he has any control over. He can make them work on situational hitting and bunting and all that...and a manager can instill a winning attitude. He can't make bad pitchers become great ones. He can't make, say, Rowand into a superstar hitter. I think we should define it officially because it's being used too freely.

Brian26
05-02-2004, 11:08 PM
great game.

bigdommer
05-02-2004, 11:46 PM
I am just so impressed with the defense that this team plays. Much improved over last year and the year before. Even when guys struggle at the plate (like Carlos and Crede) they still play great D. Also, the Sox have really cashed in on double play chances. They had a big one today, and a huge one against the Yankees that avoided a sweep.

By the way, Jose, when you get back, you better play D or find the pine!

Lip Man 1
05-02-2004, 11:55 PM
Ummmm, Mr. Karno:

Guillen's hiring was because Kenny Williams hired him not good ole Uncle Jerry. You recall at Ozzie's press conference Kenny explained he told Ozzie up front that he had no intention of hiring him and budgeted fifteen minutes to him.

Williams said that after five minutes he was sure Guillen was the man for the job. Good ole Uncle Jerry just rubber stamped the move.

Now this is what happened or Williams' was lying at the press conference. I'm sure good ole Uncle Jerry approved the idea because Ozzie was a former player and Ozzie worked cheap.

Please let's stop with the revisionist history, it's bad enough good ole Uncle Jerry goes on Channel 11 and says that basically he was just following Bud Selig along with the 1994 labor impasse.

Sure....OK.....

"I'm a dove until they strike..."-- Jerry Reinsdorf August 1994.

Lip

TDog
05-03-2004, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

The Sox had 3 runs on 5 hits They weren't dealing with a wild pitcher who was walking people, but a picther who had command. They still managed 3 runs on 5 hits because they made the most out of every opportunity. They pitched well enough and played defense well enough that they only needed 3 runs to win. That is great baseball.

On some days, Ozzieball means scoring five runs in the bottom of the ninth. But I don't see how today could disappoint any Sox fan.

anewman35
05-03-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Guillen's hiring was because Kenny Williams hired him not good ole Uncle Jerry. You recall at Ozzie's press conference Kenny explained he told Ozzie up front that he had no intention of hiring him and budgeted fifteen minutes to him.

Williams said that after five minutes he was sure Guillen was the man for the job. Good ole Uncle Jerry just rubber stamped the move.

But didn't Kenny also say (or at least imply) that the only reason he gave Ozzie any time at all was because JR asked him to?