PDA

View Full Version : Hawk's new catchphrase...


soltrain21
05-02-2004, 06:54 PM
I don't know if you guys have been noticing this or not, but me and my brother have and we think it is his best one yet.


After every White Sox win lately, Hawk has chimed in with the great line of...


AND THIS BALLGAME IS......OOOVVAAAAA!



This gets me everytime. To make this a valid discussion, yay or nay for Hawk in the booth? I love the guy up there! So much emotion for the Sox, I really enjoy listening to him call a game FOR US.

illinibk
05-02-2004, 07:05 PM
That is good, but my personal favorite is still:

GAAAAASSSS...HE GONE

or

HE GONE....GAAAAASSSS

inta
05-02-2004, 07:17 PM
i just hope he stops using the phrase "ozzieball" when we need to get some runs late in a game.

TornLabrum
05-02-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by soltrain21
I don't know if you guys have been noticing this or not, but me and my brother have and we think it is his best one yet.


After every White Sox win lately, Hawk has chimed in with the great line of...


AND THIS BALLGAME IS......OOOVVAAAAA!

Hawk must be a fan of Iron Chef.

34rancher
05-02-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by illinibk
That is good, but my personal favorite is still:

GAAAAASSSS...HE GONE

or

HE GONE....GAAAAASSSS
I kinda like "You can put it on the Board.....YEEESSSSSSSS!!!"

Ken
05-02-2004, 08:20 PM
Get up there...stretch!

munchman33
05-02-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Ken
Get up there...stretch!

My personal favorite.

Whitesox029
05-02-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Hawk must be a fan of Iron Chef.
Well if he likes Iron Chef then why not Emeril?


BAM!

MikeKreevich
05-02-2004, 08:23 PM
Think we'll ever hear "Grab Some Bench" again?

chidonez
05-02-2004, 08:25 PM
Yeah, but if you watch the hilight films, that "yes" creeps into everything, and gets a bit old.

CarlosMartinez
05-02-2004, 08:26 PM
How about after a no hit bid is broken up,

You can cancel the post game show.

Lip Man 1
05-02-2004, 08:45 PM
I don't think we'll ever hear 'grab some bench again'. Kent Hrbek didn't think it was so funny and Hawk is much older now.

Lip

blueeyes33
05-02-2004, 09:02 PM
or how bout when someoen picks a grounder..hes like

" and he SUCKS IT UP" its all dirty sounding.haha

southsidegirl
05-02-2004, 09:19 PM
I like, "Right size, wrong shape" and "MERCY". But "MERCY" just sounds stupid when I say it. They're all good though.

SoxFan76
05-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Hawk says grab some bench when talking about hypothetical situations when pitchers make good pitches. "If he throws you the 3-2 change, you can grab some bench."

My favorites are "MERCY" and his new "And this ballgame is OVAA!" Every year he seems to throw a twist on his catch phrases. "Stretch" I believe is fairly new.

"Alright Frank, bow your neck, reel him in, and light him up."

"Well Fiesty, we got some e-mail. I love e-mail"

"So sit back, relax, and strap it down. The rubber game of this series is next."

"Ozzie ball is not a tangible thing. It is an intangible." Ok, I don't really like that, he just talks about it ALL THE TIME!

manuelsucks
05-02-2004, 09:47 PM
This is a good thread for me. I love Hawk quotes. I love that new one : "This ball game is OVAA."

The one I love to hear but doesn't happen all the time is: "Get foul....it will."

I love to see a close home run and then well hear a: "Stretch...STRETCH!!"

And then when he's talking about something he really likes, like e-mail, he'll be like "I love e-mail." or "I love cotton candy."

"So sit back, relax, and strap it down. Game 2 of this 3 game set, and me and DJ will be back, after this." A classic. But what am I supposed to strap down?

He's starting to retire the "HE GAWN" though. Well not retire, but last year he was so into it, now he just says it. It's always extra special when someone check swings and he goes: "Yes he did, HE GAWN!"

Finally, I love how he talks to the players from the booth like they can hear him: "Come on Joe, make him pay right here." There's a whole bunch of other things he'll say, but I can't remember.

Oh yeah, can't forget "MERCY!"

One more: "He hit a bullet, and I mean A BULLET right up the middle."

Nick@Nite
05-02-2004, 10:37 PM
I remember when a batter would pull a pitch way foul, lining it into the stands near or above the dugout, then hearing the phrase "that had some hair on it"

It's been a while, and it may have been a Tom Paciorek catch phrase.

Does anyone else remember that one?

34rancher
05-02-2004, 11:14 PM
I also like the
"It's time to hunker down and cinch um up"

Or whatever he says there. It cracks me up. I just realized that I have pick up many "hawkisms" I say the Right size, wrong shape one a little too much in my job. Oh, well.

Mercy.

34rancher
05-02-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by CarlosMartinez
How about after a no hit bid is broken up,

You can cancel the post game show.

Amazing how many people don't get that. I have some freinds who were reading over my shoulder just got that. (Dumb cub fans)

bigdommer
05-02-2004, 11:32 PM
I love "C'mon, stretch, stretch!" I play a lot of RBI Baseball on the original Nintendo and I find myself hitting long drives to center yelling "Stretch!"

Even though it usually happens at bad times, I love it when DJ follows a Hawkism with, "Nawwww. Nawwww." He sounds like a five year old.

DrummerGeorgefan
05-02-2004, 11:37 PM
Although it was part of this years disaster on opening day, I kind of liked the way he handled the walk off homerun......

That ball hit hard....we'll see you tomorrow everyone.....

lead to dead air for a minute. Kinda classic IMO

Kuzman
05-02-2004, 11:41 PM
nah the best is by far You Can Put it on the Boaaaaard!! YES! every time you here hawk on sportscenter the anchors for the show repeat it.. its his best catchphrase by far.

Soxheads
05-02-2004, 11:45 PM
Anyone remember him arguing with DJ over that homerun last year that bounced on the fence and foul pole or what have you.....Hawk sounded ready to kill him....

illinibk
05-03-2004, 12:02 AM
With all these "Hawkisms" he is very enjoyable to listen to. It would be great just to sit down and watch a game with him.

RhubarbStew
05-03-2004, 01:03 AM
Your what hurts? He laid out some hemp. (and personal favorite, when the homerun measurment is underestimated) I'd like to buy some lumber from that guy.

scottyl
05-03-2004, 01:33 AM
I luv it when you analyze.

Can of corn.

Jeremy
05-03-2004, 01:42 AM
LOL


"This ball game is Ovaaa" is definatly the new thing for 2004.

"He gone" was for 2003 (he did "he's gone" and the end of 2002, but dropped the "'s" to make it sound more southern)

Me and my buddies at work quote Hawk-isms all the time. I called in to a radio station last year, they had an impersonate Hawk contest.

"hang wif-em" ... was that DJ's thing, or did Hawk invent that? DJ is the only one who still does that.

I also wonder where "grab some bench" went, but as the other poster pointed out, he does casually say it (like "if he can get three curveballs over, well then just tip your cap and grab some bench"), but not when a hitter strikes out... I suppose "he gone" is all that needs to be said.


also us Sox fans know, dead air is an art form.

I luv cotten candy.

indysoxfan
05-03-2004, 01:51 AM
"be a two strike hitter...." :smile:

Hosey22
05-03-2004, 02:15 AM
I'm currently playing college ball and me and the guys use he gawn all the time. Not just during game but for everyday stuff as well. A lot of them are cub fans as well so Hawkisms are definitly spreading. Whenever we're playin games guys are always using these terms during the ballgame. But 'he gawn,' and 'get foul, it will' seem to be the most popular. I think it's hilarious that cub fans will continue to get on us but then use quotes from our broadcasters. What was great was when we were down in florida playing teams from all over. We'd use 'he gawn' all the time and they had no idea.

mjmcend
05-03-2004, 02:36 AM
I have noticed that whenever they show clips of the Sox on sportscenter, you are able to hear hawk in the background a lot more often and sometimes even louder than any other announcer. Also like someone said they even repeat his lines from time to time. With "you can put it on the board......yes" most often. It is nice to see the guys on ESPN respecting Hawk.

batmanZoSo
05-03-2004, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by Hosey22
I'm currently playing college ball and me and the guys use he gawn all the time. Not just during game but for everyday stuff as well. A lot of them are cub fans as well so Hawkisms are definitly spreading. Whenever we're playin games guys are always using these terms during the ballgame. But 'he gawn,' and 'get foul, it will' seem to be the most popular. I think it's hilarious that cub fans will continue to get on us but then use quotes from our broadcasters. What was great was when we were down in florida playing teams from all over. We'd use 'he gawn' all the time and they had no idea.

Why does everyone spell it "gawn"? It doesn't do anything to emphasize the way Hawk pronounces things. In fact, gawn is the phoenetic way to correctly pronouce "gone." He doesn't say it like that. His southern accent makes it sound like "goan." Ideally you would use g-o-w-n, but when written it reads another word altoghether.

Alright I'm done.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-03-2004, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by Soxheads
Anyone remember him arguing with DJ over that homerun last year that bounced on the fence and foul pole or what have you.....Hawk sounded ready to kill him....

haha yeah. at that point of the season they seemed to spat alot

WhiteSox = Life
05-03-2004, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Why does everyone spell it "gawn"? It doesn't do anything to emphasize the way Hawk pronounces things. In fact, gawn is the phoenetic way to correctly pronouce "gone." He doesn't say it like that. His southern accent makes it sound like "goan." Ideally you would use g-o-w-n, but when written it reads another word altoghether.

Alright I'm done.

And not a second too soon.

:hawk
"He dawn."

:D:

JoseCanseco6969
05-03-2004, 04:57 AM
Like someone already said earlier, i find it hilarious when some of my idiot cub fan friends are watching their flub game and constantly hear them use hawkisms. They claim to hate hawk and DJ and say they have no emotion while calling a game but they always use hawks phrases. I constantly hear he gone and right size wrong shape. Its kinda funny how chimp and stony dont really have much of anything. I love saying "You can put it on the board" for the opponents of the cubs dingers, that really seems to get them pissed.
Anyway , the point is Im proud to say Hawk is our announcer even though he can be pretty crazy at times, he makes the game that much more enjoyable. Now we just need to get some good DJ-isms.

SSN721
05-03-2004, 06:54 AM
I have also noticed that Hawk seems to get a lot of play on ESPN when they go through all the games on Sportscenter or BBT. DId anyoine notice during the All-Star Game broadcasts last year when Boomer would do the announcing during the home run derby he would be like, "How do they say this in Chicago? You can put it on the board......gone." ANd then after screwing that up the other announcers assumed it was correct and they ended up using it all week for the all-star game and the derby. It was so irritating, but that and He Gone are some of my favorites. Stretch is always a good one as well, I almost feel like he helps some of those close ones get over the fence.

34rancher
05-03-2004, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by JoseCanseco6969
Like someone already said earlier, i find it hilarious when some of my idiot cub fan friends are watching their flub game and constantly hear them use hawkisms. They claim to hate hawk and DJ and say they have no emotion while calling a game but they always use hawks phrases. I constantly hear he gone and right size wrong shape. Its kinda funny how chimp and stony dont really have much of anything. I love saying "You can put it on the board" for the opponents of the cubs dingers, that really seems to get them pissed.
Anyway , the point is Im proud to say Hawk is our announcer even though he can be pretty crazy at times, he makes the game that much more enjoyable. Now we just need to get some good DJ-isms.

It is kinda hard to use these as they have already been done....
Mile-High, scorched, belted, laser, etc....
No originality

I'll take Hawks, they are way better.

gosox41
05-03-2004, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by soltrain21
I don't know if you guys have been noticing this or not, but me and my brother have and we think it is his best one yet.


After every White Sox win lately, Hawk has chimed in with the great line of...


AND THIS BALLGAME IS......OOOVVAAAAA!



This gets me everytime. To make this a valid discussion, yay or nay for Hawk in the booth? I love the guy up there! So much emotion for the Sox, I really enjoy listening to him call a game FOR US.

Hawk's act is getting old. How many times a game does he say "He Just missed it,"

Also, his act gets in the way of DJ, who I think brings more to the table then Hawk's catchphrases.


Lastly, some of his stories don't jive. He comes off sounding like a great player, which he wasn't. And while I can't think of any examples right now, I think I'v heard the same story form him before but with different endings.


Bob

Palehose13
05-03-2004, 12:32 PM
Hmmmm...did Bernstein read this thread? He just brought it up (with the iron chef reference) this past hour.

PINWHEELS
05-03-2004, 12:45 PM
:hawk "Look At This Get Down It Will Thank You Very Much!

jackbrohamer
05-03-2004, 12:52 PM
I like "Ball four base hit" when a Sox batter has a 3-ball count. Can't stand "stretch." And I am not exactly sure what "strap it down" refers to.

npdempse
05-03-2004, 12:59 PM
"Moline Illinois...yes."

"Sit back, relax, and strap it down."

Strap WHAT down, Hawk? Strap what down?

wolcott10
05-03-2004, 02:30 PM
"The Sox are down to their last bullet."

DC Sox Fan
05-03-2004, 02:32 PM
I used to love when ever anyone would write in from a certain town, Hawk would say "they got all my money in [town name] Wimpy."

Also, Hawk's favorite promotional night used to be back to school night. They would hype it up for weeks. "That's right, kids. Almost time for back to school. BACK TO SCHOOOOL... YYYYES!" Hated it when I actually was in school, but now it's so cruel it's hilarious.

Can't remember which game specifically but it had to be early '90s when blackjack K'd someone and hawk shouted, all in one word.. "GAAAASGRABSOMEBENCHYYYYESSS" The way he said it was so funny I was just rolling on the ground.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-03-2004, 02:37 PM
this is awesome, so many positives about being a sox fan. Think those schlubs fans are actually recalling some of the garbage that chimp is uttering on the tube? Hawk is great, nuff said

vegyrex
05-03-2004, 03:07 PM
Wasn't he the first one to call the Marlins the "fighting Fish" ?

Fungo
05-03-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by vegyrex
Wasn't he the first one to call the Marlins the "fighting Fish" ?

And the Red Sox the Carmine's?

faneidde
05-03-2004, 03:40 PM
I love a lot of Hawk's catch phrases.
Libertyville.....yes
I get a laugh everytime he calls DJ feisty, I just get the sense that nickname might be a little sarcastic
And of course, way back, he looks up, and you can put it on the board...YES!

But the thing I like about him the most is he lets his emotions shows. Like when the other team is hitting the crap out of the ball, Hawk almost sounds mad to have to call it. I remember the other day someone for the Indians got a lead-off double and Hawk said like 5 word. In the corner, 2 bagger. And when the Sox came back from 8-4 to beat the Jinjuns it seemed like he was jumping around in the booth like I was at home.

NonetheLoaiza
05-03-2004, 04:19 PM
gotta say his catchphrases rule. i like, 'so sit back, relax, and strap it down.'

Realist
05-03-2004, 04:31 PM
One time an opposing player jacked one deep and as it was flyin' towards the wall someone in chat typed "unstretch!". I almost fell off my chair laughing. :D:

soltrain21
05-03-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by faneidde


But the thing I like about him the most is he lets his emotions shows. Like when the other team is hitting the crap out of the ball, Hawk almost sounds mad to have to call it. I remember the other day someone for the Indians got a lead-off double and Hawk said like 5 word. In the corner, 2 bagger. And when the Sox came back from 8-4 to beat the Jinjuns it seemed like he was jumping around in the booth like I was at home.


Thats why I like him so much...I am pretty pissed off when stuff like that happens too.

LongLiveFisk
05-03-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
"Moline Illinois...yes."

Right, but then he always used to follow that up with, "They've got my money in Moline." Whatever happened to that one?

I also like how he says "era" for "error".

JohnJeter
05-03-2004, 07:25 PM
Describing a line shot, "You can hang all the doors in (insert county) County on that one." He still brings that one out occasionally.

southsidegirl
05-03-2004, 07:52 PM
Isn't it drawers....like underwear on a clothing line....."line" drive.

niucons
05-03-2004, 07:55 PM
Not been mentioned yet, but one of my favorites is "Ducks on the Pond", and "He's in the Catbird seat".

These really aren't Hawkisms, but nobody else uses them.

RichFitztightly
05-03-2004, 08:29 PM
Before this season started I was pretty anti-Hawk, but now he just seems like he's "our old coot." He's become that old coot everybody has in their neighborhood that was always annoying but now they've been there so long it's just great having them there.

TaylorStSox
05-03-2004, 09:18 PM
My favorite has to be "one time, (name)" in a pressure situation.

Also, "zone him in, reel him in, and light him up."

Jeremy
05-04-2004, 12:13 AM
"watch out!"

Thigpen Rules
05-04-2004, 12:27 AM
I live in NYC , been a chisox fan for years but just last year was able to get the MLB extra innnings package oh how i fell in love w hawk.

what sucks is you get him every other game cause they switch what teams announcers they use. :whiner:

but it makes it even more special when i hear em


he gone :gulp:

scottyl
05-04-2004, 11:22 PM
This has kinda been mentioned...

If I'm correct, it was back during the Sports Channel days that Hawk and Wimpy would welcome another affiliate to the broadcast.

Wimpy: "...watching us in Libertyville."

Hawk and Wimpy: "Libertyvilllllllle...YES"

Man, I miss that.

ChiWhiteSox1337
05-04-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Realist
One time an opposing player jacked one deep and as it was flyin' towards the wall someone in chat typed "unstretch!". I almost fell off my chair laughing. :D:
That was me. I'm happy someone actually found it funny! I've been saying it since last season when he started to use the "STRETCH!" a lot. I love Hawk. I use the phrase "hunker down" a lot in real life. I can't imagine watching the white sox without hawk. I hope he outlives me!

StillMissOzzie
05-05-2004, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
I like "Ball four base hit" when a Sox batter has a 3-ball count. Can't stand "stretch." And I am not exactly sure what "strap it down" refers to.

Originally posted by npdempse

"Sit back, relax, and strap it down."

Strap WHAT down, Hawk? Strap what down?

I think it means strap your a$$ into your seat and watch the game!

I find myself using "Ducks on the pond" with my son's little league games.

SMO