PDA

View Full Version : Would you take Metra to Sox games?

Frater Perdurabo
05-02-2004, 05:05 PM
If Metra were to build a rail station at 35th Street on the Rock Island tracks (on the east side of the Dan Ryan) or on the Southwest Line (just to the west of the Cell), would you ride Metra to Sox games?

Furthermore, would you attend more Sox games if you could take Metra to the Cell on either line?

Frater Perdurabo
05-02-2004, 05:17 PM
For the record, I don't live in Chicago, but if the Sox built a stop at 35th Street on either the Rock Island or the Southwest Service line, I would attend every Sox home game during those times when I visit my family. This summer I will attend one game when I visit in July. If there were a 35th Street station on either line, I would make it a point to schedule my vacation to Chicago during a long homestand and would attend every game.

NorthSideConvert
05-02-2004, 05:17 PM
I take Sothwest Airlines but support the idea... Fenway has a commuter rail stop and lots of people take the train.

Frater Perdurabo
05-02-2004, 05:19 PM
In fact, if Metra served 35th Street on either line, I might just move back to Chicago and buy season tickets.

(I hope you are reading, Reinsy! :o: )

doublem23
05-02-2004, 05:40 PM
It wouldn't matter for me, I take the CTA.

johnny bench
05-02-2004, 07:26 PM
I'd take the Southwest line and park at Oak Lawn for example. Parking near the Rock Island in Beverly can be very difficult.

On weekends when we go to root for non-local National League teams, we do street parking near North and Clybourn and take the Red Line to Addison.

munchman33
05-02-2004, 08:38 PM
I'd like to see a stop on the Electric line that also goes to Soldier Field. The closest they get is Micheal Reese, and that stop is only on certain trains.

duke of dorwood
05-02-2004, 08:48 PM
It would be great-kids ride free on weekends, parking is 1.00

LongLiveFisk
05-02-2004, 08:53 PM
I've ridden the Metra from Oak Lawn before and I distinctly recall it passing RIGHT BY USCF. I kept thinking to myself, "What would it take to get them to put a USCF/35th St stop right here and damn, I wish they would do it!"

manuelsucks
05-02-2004, 08:54 PM
Whenever I go to a Sox game, I take Metra to the city, then hop on the L. I don't take the new electric lines Metra has like Rock Island or Southwest (I don't think that's electric...right). But if there was a really easy way to get to the L from the downtown train station, I'd be all for that, because right now I have to walk about 20 min. :o:

Nick@Nite
05-02-2004, 09:41 PM
If I lived in Chicago, I would put shoe leather to earth, one after another, just to see the Sox play at the Cell.

SouthSideHitman
05-02-2004, 09:56 PM
One of the main reasons my family moved to Homewood was the accessibility of the city via Metra, which I use all the time to go elsewhere, the Sox having a Metra stop would allow me to go to all sorts of extra games. If I wanna go to a Sox game now and I can't borrow the car (which is almost all the time), I either have to take a bus to 95th street to get on the red line or take Metra downtown and then take the L south and either way, it's a pain the butt and it increases the time and cost of a game. The Sox need to do some heavy lobbying to get a Metra stop, given how much of their fan base is suburban. If there were a stop, I'd be able to go to about 10-15 more games a summer (depending on the job I get) than the usual 5-8 I go to now.

mjb
05-02-2004, 10:36 PM
A Rock Island Metra Stop at 35th street would be fantastic and greatly increase the accessibility of the park to everyone on the South Side and South West Suburbs.

A special game day and night service could be run similar to the schedule that the Metra runs to Ravinia during the Summer concert series.

Another stop on the Metra SW Service could be added once the schedule, frequency, and delays traditionally associated with that line have been resolved in the next few years.

Both of these public transit options would alleviate a significant amount of traffic and allow portions of the parking lots to be redeveloped into housing, lofts, offices, restaurants, etc. and provide additional tax revenue to the city and state.

These changes would highlight one of the biggest secrets in the city---US Cellular Field has the potential to be one of the most accessible parts of the entire metropolitan area!!!!

mjmcend
05-03-2004, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by johnny bench
I'd take the Southwest line and park at Oak Lawn for example. Parking near the Rock Island in Beverly can be very difficult.

Parking in Beverly by the Rock Island is not at all bad on weekends or at nights. And I would most definetly love to have a stop on the Rock Island for the ballpark. It would make everything less expensive plus get rid of the whole DD issue.

Frater Perdurabo
05-03-2004, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the replies, fellow Sox fans.

Originally posted by mjb:
Both of these public transit options would alleviate a significant amount of traffic and allow portions of the parking lots to be redeveloped into housing, lofts, offices, restaurants, etc. and provide additional tax revenue to the city and state.

I had never thought of this, but this absolutely is true and would increase the property values exponentially, benefitting both the Sox and the public sector. Isn't Jerry Reinsdorf at heart a real estate developer? He could make a fortune ROI even if he paid the entire cost of constructing 35th Street stations on both the Rock Island and on the Southwest Line.

BeerHandle
05-03-2004, 04:43 PM
I actually discussed this on Friday when we were in Parking Lot E. I train rolls right along Lot C, D, E and F. It woud be great if there was a stop between 35th and 37th.

I believe if there was a stop it could help increase attendance. How great would it be for the fans in the SW to take the train to and from the games.