PDA

View Full Version : Willie on Fire (who'd have thunk it) Stats inside

ChiSox7
05-02-2004, 04:51 PM
While it is early in the season, and numbers dont always tell the whole story (obviously), Willie had a pretty solid first month.

Willie - .273 Avg./ .326 OBP./ .676 OPS - 6 doubles, 9 RBI, 5/5 steals.

Willie is only 4 points behind Maggs and Olivo (.277). He's higher than Rowand, Crede, Lee, Valentin, Timo. He's second on the team in doubles.

And, crazily, he has a BETTER OPS than Joe Crede.

Are those numbers awesome? No. Far from it. But I think he is playing better than the 'awful' marks that some people have given him. I figure I'd just give him some props....

And say Maggs better heat up. .277 from the 3 hole is not gonna work.

SoxFan76
05-02-2004, 04:59 PM
During spring training I was all about Rowand, and wanted Harris out of town as fast as possible. But as the season started, I have gone the complete opposite direction. I really like Harris. He is a very exciting player to watch. And after watching Rowand look like a fool out there in CF, I'm just glad Kenny picked up Timo before the season started.

delben91
05-02-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
During spring training I was all about Rowand, and wanted Harris out of town as fast as possible. But as the season started, I have gone the complete opposite direction. I really like Harris. He is a very exciting player to watch. And after watching Rowand look like a fool out there in CF, I'm just glad Kenny picked up Timo before the season started.

Jeremy Reed anyone?

StockdaleForVeep
05-02-2004, 06:04 PM
Is his play recently showin he is the real thing and actually paid attention to little league when they taught how to hit the ball? Hittin 273 and showing improvement. I havent seen games due to at college but i cant attest to his fielding. He's no alomar but i dont feel i need to hold my breath every time a grounder is his to him like i had to do with D'angelo Jiminez

batmanZoSo
05-02-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by StockdaleForVeep
Is his play recently showin he is the real thing and actually paid attention to little league when they taught how to hit the ball? Hittin 273 and showing improvement. I havent seen games due to at college but i cant attest to his fielding. He's no alomar but i dont feel i need to hold my breath every time a grounder is his to him like i had to do with D'angelo Jiminez

He's the third best middle infielder on the team. He'll get some starts at second and center. He's a valuable utility guy.

doublem23
05-02-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
He's the third best middle infielder on the team. He'll get some starts at second and center. He's a valuable utility guy.

And pinch runner... He's really a good baserunner.

Randar68
05-02-2004, 07:31 PM
And after watching Rowand look like a fool out there in CF

Sheesh, who'd have thunk it????

BLA!

MRKARNO
05-02-2004, 07:36 PM
Maybe the best lineup goes as follows:

Harris CF
Uribe 2B
Maggs RF
Thomas DH
Lee LF
Konerko 1B
Crede 3B
Valentin SS
Olivo C

guillen4life13
05-02-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Maybe the best lineup goes as follows:

Harris CF
Uribe 2B
Maggs RF
Thomas DH
Lee LF
Konerko 1B
Crede 3B
Valentin SS
Olivo C

I don't agree. With the limited time Timo has been out there, he's looked good (his numbers may not show it, but I think he's done his job adequately).

A .326 OBP for a lead-off hitter is not good, folks. I don't know if Hawk and DJ are right about Willie (that he needs to stop thinking and just let instincts take over), but it's a pretty empty .326 OBP at that. I like bunting, but Willie bunts way too much. Willie needs to get his confidence up and stop thinking too hard, because I think he's looked a little too mechanical. The guy has proven himself in the minors--let's see some of that performance up here in the bigs.

Right now, the odd man out is Manos. He's aging, and his performance has gone down progressively for the last 4 years, with last year dipping down to a .237 average. I think he's a great fielder though the numbers don't show it, but I no longer think he fits into the team's plans.

Therefore, as of now, here's the lineup I'd be thinking about putting out there:

2B Harris
SS Uribe
RF Ordonez
DH Thomas
LF Lee
1B Konerko
3B Crede
CF Perez/Reed
C Olivo

Thoughts?

SoxFan76
05-02-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Sheesh, who'd have thunk it????

BLA!

Ha, and I was really stubborn about Rowand. I always thought he was an above average CF, but now I have seen the truth. He sucks.

lowesox
05-02-2004, 09:27 PM

I'm in the same boat. I was totally against HArris getting handed the starting job - because he did nothing to prove he deserved it. But, I gotta say, I think he's been a pleasent surprise.

Actually, the whole thing pisses me off because Williams had no right to expect good play from Harris (or Shoenweiss) and the way they've played has made KW look... less stupid.

34 Inch Stick
05-03-2004, 09:03 AM
To tell you the truth, Willie was exceeding my expectations when he was hitting .250. I had zero confidence in him. He has done okay, and seems to be getting on base more often. Anyway he is going to be our second baseman next year so we should all just hope for the best.

nasox
05-03-2004, 10:04 AM
I'd rather see this lineup with Lee in the two hole:

Harris 2B
Lee LF
Ordonez RF
Thomas DH
Uribe SS
Konerko 1B
Crede 3B
Rowand CF
Olivo C

and when Valentin gets back, I would like to see Rowand benched if he hasn't improved or looked better, Willie at CF, Uribe at 2B and Valentin back at SS

delben91
05-11-2004, 09:27 PM
After tonight, Willie is hitting .320 with a .393 OBP against righties. (Compared to .071 against lefties). 4-5. Amazing Willie, keep up anything even close to this and I will eat every bad word I ever uttered about you.

Randar68
05-11-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Actually, the whole thing pisses me off because Williams had no right to expect good play from Harris (or Shoenweiss) and the way they've played has made KW look... less stupid.

LOL. Had to get that in there somewhere, huh?

KW gave up basically nothing for Marte, Scheony and Harris ini trades, signed Jackson, Politte, and got Cotts, Olivo, and Uribe in other trades...

Most GM's would love to look this stupid.

beckett21
05-11-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by lowesox

I'm in the same boat. I was totally against HArris getting handed the starting job - because he did nothing to prove he deserved it. But, I gotta say, I think he's been a pleasent surprise.

Originally posted by Randar68

LOL. Had to get that in there somewhere, huh?

KW gave up basically nothing for Marte, Scheony and Harris ini trades, signed Jackson, Politte, and got Cotts, Olivo, and Uribe in other trades...

Most GM's would love to look this stupid.

Thank you Randar.

For someone to say that these guys playing well actually pisses them off.... :?:

Ridiculous. And KW is the one with the ego problem.

OK, NOW I understand...