PDA

View Full Version : BBTN April Report Cards - Sox B, Twins A+

SouthSideHitman
05-02-2004, 05:38 PM
On BBTN last night where Harold Reynolds gave every team a grade based on how they did in April. The Sox recieved a B, while the Twins got an A+. Gimme a break! Everyone picked the Twins to finish ahead of the Sox before the Season and when the Sox end the month a game back of the Twins, they get a B while the Twins were, apparently perfect. I hate to cry media bias, but DAMN! that's some media bias.

Nard
05-02-2004, 05:41 PM
I hate to break this out, but...

:whocares

The stupider the media looks, the better. Makes the Sox look better and the Twins look worse once we pass 'em.

batmanZoSo
05-02-2004, 05:45 PM
Considering that no one gave us a chance (fools) I give us an A. And I would expect ESPN to give us an A too. Or are they now gonna "forget" what they said about us before the season and act like they expected this?

I give the Twins an A+. You can't argue with that.

MRKARNO
05-02-2004, 05:45 PM
I actually think thats a sign of respect. We're not performing at the level in which we could be performing at while the Twins are playing their best baseball right now.

SoxFan76
05-02-2004, 05:47 PM
I saw that and it pissed me off. I would normally take a B (hell, it's the story of my high school career), but the INDIANS got a B as well!!! Come on. The Sox deserve atleast a B+/A-.

fquaye149
05-02-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
On BBTN last night where Harold Reynolds gave every team a grade based on how they did in April. The Sox recieved a B, while the Twins got an A+. Gimme a break! Everyone picked the Twins to finish ahead of the Sox before the Season and when the Sox end the month a game back of the Twins, they get a B while the Twins were, apparently perfect. I hate to cry media bias, but DAMN! that's some media bias.

the twins also overcame huge losses to injury as well as a perceived lack of pitching to become a relatively dominant team.

despite having a superior squad to the twins, at least in regards to the players the twins lost (mientkiewicz, hunter and mauer) the white sox were behind in the standings as well as barely winning games that they might have won handily.
the white sox starting pitching was poor and the bullpen, despite shoring up many of its problems has still been a huge question mark.
not a one of our original starters is hitting healthily above .300 (uribe was a bench player when the season began) and we seem to still be relying on the home run.

i might have given us a B+ and the twins an A but we certainly didn't have a better april.

it's like, would you give the yankees and the reds the same april grade even though their records are comparable? not really, because the yankees have underachieved and not looked very dominant despite high expectations.

doublem23
05-02-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
I saw that and it pissed me off. I would normally take a B (hell, it's the story of my high school career), but the INDIANS got a B as well!!! Come on. The Sox deserve atleast a B+/A-.

But the grade is relative to performance to how they were expected to perform, too. The Tigers are floating around .500 but they got an A+, too.

Huisj
05-02-2004, 07:10 PM
not to mention that the twins played a pretty candy coated schedule for the month. the sox' was not so candy coated at times

inta
05-02-2004, 07:15 PM
this is no surprise at all.
the sox have been really treading water since sweeping KC in my opinion. we've had some good breaks and have played our hearts out, but we're certainly not clicking at 100%.

like other stated, the twins have lost alot of players to injury and trade and are still playing strong.

Fungo
05-02-2004, 07:21 PM
I'd take it with a grain of salt. Later in the show he called the NL Central the best division in baseball. Kruk joining the show has been a pleasant surprise and has taken HR to task a few times for some of his assinine comments.

Dub25
05-02-2004, 07:35 PM
The only passing grade I know of in baseball are W's and the Sox have just as many as the Twins.

munchman33
05-02-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by inta
this is no surprise at all.
the sox have been really treading water since sweeping KC in my opinion.

Is that you, Lip?

jeremyb1
05-02-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I actually think thats a sign of respect. We're not performing at the level in which we could be performing at while the Twins are playing their best baseball right now.

In what sense? A .600 plus winning percentage is as good as most teams can play as far as a won loss record goes.

Whitesox029
05-02-2004, 09:16 PM
well for one thing, A+ does imply perfection, so NO ONE should have an A+ unless they went 22-0, which NO ONE did.

guillen4life13
05-02-2004, 09:25 PM
Well, don't look now, but at this current winning percentage clip, the Sox are on pace to win 101 games.

Of course that's not gonna happen, but I just thought that would warm some hearts. :)

SoxFan76
05-02-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Whitesox029
well for one thing, A+ does imply perfection, so NO ONE should have an A+ unless they went 22-0, which NO ONE did.

Good point. But you gotta admit, on paper the Twins have NOBODY. But they continue to win, regarless of who's injured, or how much they are paying their players.

SouthSideHitman
05-02-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Fungo
I'd take it with a grain of salt. Later in the show he called the NL Central the best division in baseball. Kruk joining the show has been a pleasant surprise and has taken HR to task a few times for some of his assinine comments.

That's true enough. Tonight Reynolds got on his high horse about how overrated OBP was and how he's rather have Jimmy Rollins than Frank or Giambi.

maurice
05-03-2004, 02:43 PM
Tonight Reynolds got on his high horse about how overrated OBP was and how he's rather have Jimmy Rollins than Frank or Giambi.

I caught that also. Reynolds contines to cement his idiot status. I'm sure his opinion that OBP and OPS are overrated has nothing to do with his career .327 OBP and .668 OPS. High OBP guys like Frank, Giambi, Barry Bonds, Ted Williams, and Babe Ruth just kill their teams, when compared to speedy offensive juggernauts like Reynolds, Rollins (.267/.551), and Willie Harris (.326/.676).

Even stat-haters must recognize that OBP is extremely signficant. So far this season, Frank has made an out only about half of the time he comes to the plate. In a game where success in one-out-of-three trips to the plate is considered pretty good, Frank's one-out-of-two and Bonds' two-out-of-three are amazing.

E Coast Sox Fan
05-03-2004, 04:22 PM
If we're playing at a B game (which sounds right) and the Twins are playing their A+ game, we are a superior team record given our even record.

When we start playing our A+ game, we should put some distance between us and the Twins. If we upgrade mid-season, we have even greater potential down the stretch.

OEO Magglio
05-03-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I was thinking the same thing, I honestly don't think the sox have played that great so far, but they are still finding a way to pull out games, so I actually agree with the B grade.

BigFrankFan
05-03-2004, 05:11 PM
Harold also believe Franks streak of hitting safely 20 out of his last 21 ab's is less than what Patterson's done. He's a moron.

He ought to visit the ESPN site once in a while & learn:
MIN RS 134, RA 125, diff +9
CHW RS 127, RA 115, diff +12

The numbers speak for themselves.