PDA

View Full Version : Cotts listed as probable starter per ESPN and Fox Sports


hose
05-02-2004, 09:06 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/probables?date=20040505

http://www.foxsports.com/named/FS/MLB/team?statsId=4

Neil Cotts is listed as the starter against Ponzon next Wednesday at Baltimore.

:gulp:

RedPinStripes
05-02-2004, 09:43 AM
Burke coming up still makes no sense to me unless they're trying to showcase him for a trade and i dont see why that would be considering Sandy could be done at anytime.

Rex Hudler
05-02-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Burke coming up still makes no sense to me unless they're trying to showcase him for a trade and i dont see why that would be considering Sandy could be done at anytime.

Why doesn't Burke make sense? Don't be so closed-minded that you only see him as a catcher. See him as another bat off the bench and a guy versatile enough to fill in several places. With the off days, you don't need 12 pitchers. Hell, they won't likely stick with 12 pitchers all year anyway. He is just adding depth with some versatility. The move makes great sense if you look at it with your head tilted slightly sideways. ;-)

As far as Cotts being listed as a starter on those web sites, I wouldn't put any stock in that. They basically don't know what the Sox rotation will be and filling in Cotts into the 5th starter spot is the most logical thing for a news service like that to do. Once the Sox make their plans known for sure, it will get changed.

hose
05-02-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
As far as Cotts being listed as a starter on those web sites, I wouldn't put any stock in that. They basically don't know what the Sox rotation will be and filling in Cotts into the 5th starter spot is the most logical thing for a news service like that to do. Once the Sox make their plans known for sure, it will get changed.


So then it's Burly on 3 days rest after throwing 115 pitches Saturday?... I doubt that very much.

RedPinStripes
05-02-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
Why doesn't Burke make sense? Don't be so closed-minded that you only see him as a catcher. See him as another bat off the bench and a guy versatile enough to fill in several places. With the off days, you don't need 12 pitchers. Hell, they won't likely stick with 12 pitchers all year anyway. He is just adding depth with some versatility. The move makes great sense if you look at it with your head tilted slightly sideways. ;-)

As far as Cotts being listed as a starter on those web sites, I wouldn't put any stock in that. They basically don't know what the Sox rotation will be and filling in Cotts into the 5th starter spot is the most logical thing for a news service like that to do. Once the Sox make their plans known for sure, it will get changed.

I forgot that Ozzie went with an extra pitcher out of Spring training.

PINWHEELS
05-02-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by hose
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/probables?date=20040505

http://www.foxsports.com/named/FS/MLB/team?statsId=4

Neil Cotts is listed as the starter against Ponzon next Wednesday at Baltimore.

:gulp: Thank God! :wright You Suck!

CanOfCorn
05-02-2004, 11:53 AM
Ponson's got an ERA of 6.28, I think. It would be a pretty even match-up.

DrummerGeorgefan
05-02-2004, 11:56 AM
But Ponson has been knighted....

CanOfCorn
05-02-2004, 12:10 PM
They'll knight anybody that can rub their stomach and pat their head at the same time.

Iguana775
05-02-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by CanOfCorn
They'll knight anybody that can rub their stomach and pat their head at the same time.

Hey, I can do that!! ;)

Rex Hudler
05-02-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by hose
So then it's Burly on 3 days rest after throwing 115 pitches Saturday?... I doubt that very much.

You're right, I doubt that will happen. I didn't look ahead on the schedule and just took the "no need for a 5th starter" argument blindly. Thanks for keeping me in line!

johnny_mostil
05-02-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
You're right, I doubt that will happen. I didn't look ahead on the schedule and just took the "no need for a 5th starter" argument blindly. Thanks for keeping me in line!

The DH made it necessary to have a sixth starter. They don't need a fifth again for a week and a half.

Lip Man 1
05-02-2004, 01:17 PM
The Chicago papers stated today the Sox won't be needing a 5th starter for the next two weeks so Wright was shipped out. Of course that infers that after two weeks he can get back in the rotation and keep losing.

As far as Burke, I thought he should have made the club out of spring training but why bring him up now? The Sox used seven pitchers yesterday... the bullpen is tapped out and they don't get a day off until Thursday.

They need Kelly Wunsch more then Jamie Burke. The real question is this...is Wunsch really hurt or is he simply in Williams' dogouse?

Lip

iwannago
05-02-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
You're right, I doubt that will happen. I didn't look ahead on the schedule and just took the "no need for a 5th starter" argument blindly. Thanks for keeping me in line!

Maybe they will do a Kip Wells thing for Wednesday, bring up Diaz or Rauch to pitch one game. Send down Jamie Burke and then when Diaz or Rauch is sent back down bring back Wunch.

hose
05-03-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
You're right, I doubt that will happen. I didn't look ahead on the schedule and just took the "no need for a 5th starter" argument blindly. Thanks for keeping me in line!


I don't feel to bad about being wrong , even Lou Pinella can't figure out Ozzie's next move. :D:

Keep an eye on those Barons down there Rex . :cool:

steff
05-03-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by hose
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/probables?date=20040505

http://www.foxsports.com/named/FS/MLB/team?statsId=4

Neil Cotts is listed as the starter against Ponzon next Wednesday at Baltimore.

:gulp:


Next Wednesday, the 12th, we're at home. :D:


If this is correct.. I am so screwed. I'll probaby not go to this game. :(:

Mickster
05-03-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by steff
Next Wednesday, the 12th, we're at home. :D:


If this is correct.. I am so screwed. I'll probaby not go to this game. :(:

Actually, they were referring to this wednesday 5/5. Also, interestingly enough, it has been changed. Showing Buehrle v. Ponson as matchup on 5/5.

Cubbiesuck13
05-03-2004, 04:28 PM
the Oz's comments were in line with not having a fifth starter for a bit. I don't know the schedule but I think that he was not going to replace Wright.