PDA

View Full Version : Sox Fans Ideas - How To Fill Cell - Daily Southtown

Wsoxmike59
05-02-2004, 08:44 AM
Sox Fans on How To Fill The Cell -Daily Southtown Article (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/021sd4.htm)

Today's Daily Southtown has devoted a couple of pages of their Sports Section on how to fill the empty seats at U.S. Cellular Field. I'm proud to say my letter made the paper today! (along with WSI's very own Mark Liptak. My idea was the Upperdeck Rollbacks, Internet Coupons, etc....

TornLabrum
05-02-2004, 08:46 AM
Our own AlohaFri also appeared in the article with a suggestion about family packs for the upper deck.

Wsoxmike59
05-02-2004, 08:54 AM
How To Fill U.S Cellular Field by Mark Konkol Daily Southtown Staffwriter (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dsnews/021nd2.htm)

There was also this article on the front page of today's Southtown by Mark Konkol.

soltrain21
05-02-2004, 09:25 AM
That idea about the White Sox van going to different neighborhoods and being in parades is a pretty good idea...

HomeFish
05-02-2004, 09:27 AM
James Richard from Palos Hills needs to die.

kevingrt
05-02-2004, 11:02 AM
You think it would be possible for this forum and the Chicago media to ignore attendence issues on both sides of town for a week?

NO F-ING WAY :)

bafiarocks03
05-02-2004, 11:16 AM
i read those! there are some good ones there!!!

Lizard
05-02-2004, 11:31 AM
Hey Homefish, what's with that comment? I thought James Richard was right on the mark!

ewokpelts
05-02-2004, 11:31 AM
the sox already have seniors days....all weekDAYS except the home opener
Gene

Wsoxmike59
05-02-2004, 11:50 AM
I love the last comment by some guy named Len. "I'm an old guy and I gotta pee!!"

I can just picture the old guy puppet from Crank Yankers who falls in and out of senilty saying the same exact thing....LOL

MRKARNO
05-02-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
You think it would be possible for this forum and the Chicago media to ignore attendence issues on both sides of town for a week?

This was a special case. It was a collection of letters in a paper which featured many WSIers

hsnterprize
05-02-2004, 04:52 PM
The Southtown staffers had some ideas of their own...

Here's what some of them had to say... (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/021sd5.htm)

IMHO...their ideas were a LOT MORE CREDIBLE than those posted in last Sunday's Tribune Tempo section. That article was a definite waste of ink...but what do you expect from the Cubune?

inta
05-02-2004, 04:53 PM
actually the best idea i ever read for filling the upper deck came from the moronotti himself.

charge 5$ for all upper deck seats.

MRKARNO
05-02-2004, 05:17 PM
The tickets need to come down in price. It's that simple. Look at the attendence on half price nights. Cheap seats in the Upper deck will pay for themselves when those people spend money on parking, food, drink, etc, but it will bring in more people to the park.

Daver
05-02-2004, 05:31 PM
Here's a novel idea,how about fielding a championship caliber team?Think a team that can win a hundred games in a season might put some butts in some seats?

And you wouldn't have to devalue your product to do it.

inta
05-02-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Here's a novel idea,how about fielding a championship caliber team?Think a team that can win a hundred games in a season might put some butts in some seats?

And you wouldn't have to devalue your product to do it.

i think that could work, after we win.
the sox arent going to get much attention even if they fielding the same team as the yankees. people just love that cubbie mystique and follow the media's bashing of the cell as a dangerous southside place.

but if we won the world series, i'm sure we'd see a huge bump in attendance the following year, similiar to what happened in anahiem last year.

Frankfan4life
05-02-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by soltrain21
That idea about the White Sox van going to different neighborhoods and being in parades is a pretty good idea...
That's pretty close to something I proposed on this Board a few weeks ago, except my suggestion was to have several vans cruise Chicago and give tickets or other Sox stuff to people wearing White Sox gear.
I also liked these suggestions:
3. Promote signs on bed sheets and the like just like they used to do at the original Comiskey. I miss the Sox Supporters and all of those other groups who used to have a great time out in the bleachers. Remember "Washington Slept Here," "Pitch At Risk To Rich Zisk," "Ooooooooh For The Long One?" Sox fans were the absolute best at that! Bring that kind of humor and interest back. Not just kids writing on posterboard. Have a contest for a game and see who has the best banner. Free tickets to the winners (upper deck of course!).

4. Sponsor trips with the team to different cities to follow the Sox on the road.

Some kind of singles night promotion maybe you could hook couples up on blind dates, sitting them next to each other in a section of other singles.

Reach out to black and Latino fans. I know that teams all over the country have a tough time attracting fans of color, but I was shocked at how white-bred the fans were when I went to a game. With Ozzie and Maggs and Frank Thomas as the team's standout stars, it should be easy to draw from both the black and Latino communities.

Fire Darrin "DJ" Jackson. Hire Mike North, the city's biggest big mouth when it comes to sports, and pair him with Hawk. North is guaranteed to say something outlandish every inning or so, more people tune in, more people decide to go to the ballgames. North is the poor man's Harry Caray, without the beer.
Even though I like DJ and I'm not really fond of North, a little more "spice" in the broadcast booth would make things interesting.

Lip Man 1
05-02-2004, 07:50 PM
I don't think a hot dog vendor who thinks he knows sports has any place in a broadcasting booth especially for a pro sports team. It would be as bad as J.C. Martin (with respect to J.C. who is a very nice man but was a very bad broadcaster) doing the games with Harry Caray.

Bill Melton would be an outstanding edition.

Lip

Whitesox029
05-02-2004, 08:05 PM
I liked Steve Rosenbloom's comment in his column in today's paper the best:

"If everybody who had an idea on how to market the attendance-challenged Sox just bought a ticket instead of offering advice, the Sox would draw like the Cubs."

Please...PLEASE don't get all hyped up over the fact that I have failed to provide a link to the article here;
1. Because I don't feel like finding it
2. Because I don't understand why I have to
3. Because I have clearly stated that STEVE ROSENBLOOM OF THE CHICAGO TRIBUNE IS THE AUTHOR OF THE PIECE and I am NOT claiming that it was MY WRITING and I have even provided a quote box
and
4. Because I don't feel like finding it...did I say that?

Frankfan4life
05-02-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I don't think a hot dog vendor who thinks he knows sports has any place in a broadcasting booth especially for a pro sports team. It would be as bad as J.C. Martin (with respect to J.C. who is a very nice man but was a very bad broadcaster) doing the games with Harry Caray.

Bill Melton would be an outstanding edition.

Lip
On second thought, you are right. I don't think I could stand Mike North doing Sox games. He is too big of an as-whole. However, most Sox fans like Melty. Do you know if he drinks?

hsnterprize
05-02-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Daver

And you wouldn't have to devalue your product to do it. Daver...we're all on the same page as far as fielding a winning team is concerned. But...isn't there an article here on WSI indicating the lackluster design of new Comiskey Park ultimately resulted in the constant raising of prices? In fact, the article is linked on WSI's home page.

If lowering prices so more people could afford to go to games is "devaluing" a product, then the Anaheim Angels are in BIG trouble. All Arte Moreno, the new owner of the team, did was not only go on an aggressive marketing campaign to raise awareness of the team IN THE HEART OF LOS ANGELES (Dodgers terrority), but lowered the prices of tickets in certain sections of the ballpark, as well as dropped the prices of beer, some other concessions, and some souvenirs.

If the owners want to raise prices AFTER the team wins a World Series, then I don't think the masses will mind too much, as they're finally seeing what their money is going for. How many times have we seen on the news the meetings in Lakeview where people say they'll do just about anything, from pay more for a seat, to deal more with rowdy crowds in their front yards, if the Cubs were to win it all?

Think about this...in order to reap a harvest, you must first plant a seed. The "harvest" we want is World Championships and popularity. The "seeds" are not only good transactions that will bring top-quality players to the south side, but also good PR with the people the Sox are wanting to spend money at the Cell. You ought to know the people here in Chicagoland aren't going to just spend money any kind of way...you have to give them a reason to put it in what you're doing. And right now, the Sox have a GOLDEN opportunity to make their case in the face of an overwhelming PR mountain. It can be done, but the Sox will have to eat some "humble pie" and get to their fanbase before they can act like the Yankees , Red Sox, and Cubs of the world.

batmanZoSo
05-02-2004, 09:43 PM
It's not easy to win a world series. Obviously (1917). That's why they have to do things to get fans out to the park. Winning it all would bump up attendance, but until we win it we have to keep improving the experience of going to a game. And we all know the Sox aren't going to dump a whole bunch of money into the team to win it all unless we're already drawing over 30,000. And of course we aren't going to draw that much until we win it all. Or at least make the playoffs consistently.

Nick@Nite
05-02-2004, 09:51 PM
As a safety net, there's always nickel beer night to fall back on.

Lip Man 1
05-02-2004, 11:01 PM
Batman says: "It's not easy to win a world series."

Hell Sox fans would be happy just to get to a World Series!

But seriously if it's that hard, how do you account for the Reds, Dodgers, Braves, Phillies, Pirates, Cardinals, Mets, Marlins, Diamondbacks, Orioles, Tigers, Athletics, Angels, Twins, Yankees, Royals and Blue Jays, all winning at least one since the last time the Sox were even in the series?

It didn't seem that hard for them.

Lip