PDA

View Full Version : 2 Concerns about Sox

gosox41
05-02-2004, 08:09 AM
Not to start sounding to negative because the team is off to a better start then I predicted, there are two things that concern me:

1. Sox record in 1 run games is 8-1. That's great. I'm thrilled. They need to win the tight ones to stay in contention. But keeping that in mind, I'm willing to bet a lot of $$$ that after a marathon season the Sox don't maintain an ..890 winning percentage in one run games. Outside of the Yankees (and they were struggling at the time) the Sox haven't plated a 2004 team with an above .500record at the time (except for Game 2 of the first series against KC if you want to get technical).

2. This ties in with my first point. I love come back wins and the don't quit attitude of the team. I just think it's going to be that much harder to come back against teams that are built with strong bullpens like Anaheim, Boston, and yes even Minnesota. These are some of the teams aren't going to have bullpen blow ups as often as KC and CLE. At least we get to play those 2 teams a combined 38 times.

Bob

johnny bench
05-02-2004, 09:58 AM
Maybe what you are seeing is a 2004 Sox team that so far has demonstrated the confidence in themselves to beat the poorer teams. If we can continue to beat the second division teams and also play 500 against the better teams we'll be in the runing for the playoffs for sure.

kevingrt
05-02-2004, 11:00 AM
I agree with point #2... I think we are going to have to start winning some games in the 3rd or 4th innings. It makes watching the ends that much more easier when you have a 5 run lead going into the 9th.

DrummerGeorgefan
05-02-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by johnny bench
Maybe what you are seeing is a 2004 Sox team that so far has demonstrated the confidence in themselves to beat the poorer teams. If we can continue to beat the second division teams and also play 500 against the better teams we'll be in the runing for the playoffs for sure.

I agree. IMO the problem the last few years was that the team dragged against lower quality teams, but had the confidence to go to NY and sweep the Yanks or take 2 of 3 from the Bosox.

Just hope we can reverse our luck against the west too.