PDA

View Full Version : Who is the Sox biggest rival?

pinwheels3530
05-02-2004, 04:30 AM
I say any team in the central division that stands in the way of the title. I hate the twins because of last year and the year before, and I still hate the Indians because of all those late 90's teams that won the division at our expense, and I hate detroit because they are detroit. I also love it when the sox beat the yankees, red sox and cubs, but this year I really want the sox to beat those twinkies GO SOX!

kevingrt
05-02-2004, 11:05 AM
Taking the Scrubbies out of consideration right now it is easily those darn Twinkies. Maggs and company probably just want to eat them alive. They have been so annoying the past two years! Don't even get me started! :angry:

voodoochile
05-02-2004, 11:43 AM
Definitely the Twinkies. The Sox have to prove they can beat them consistently and the road to the ALC crown goes through Minnesota.

SEALgep
05-02-2004, 12:35 PM
The Twins, may they be contracted. :D:

chisoxmike
05-02-2004, 12:35 PM
Twins. I can't stand them. It makes everything a lot more fun too becuase the two teams hate eachother. I remember last season the very first series between the two clubs at the Cell, Umpires warned each team before the games started that crap wouldn't be tolerated.

They didn't care, there was a bench-clearing brawl between them.
GO SOX.

oheeoh...magglio
05-02-2004, 12:37 PM
Twins without a doubt, the division title goes through them.

Our 2nd biggest rival could be debated between Kansas City and the Cubs. I'd go with the Cubs since they are the hated team from across town, and the Royals haven't been good in a while (with the exception of last year sort of), so I don't consider them a serious rival.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-02-2004, 12:56 PM
The Sox don't have any rivals. That's the problem. Our division is comprised of a bunch of teams none of us would really care about except that they were placed in our division and we have to beat them to get to the playoffs. That is *not* a rival in my book.

The Yankees are our natural rival. Detroit and Cleveland were rivals, too, before 1969 when we had 50+ years of competing directly with then for the pennant. The other A.L. owners plowed over those rivalries and we've only gotten them back the last few years.

Milwaukee could have been a rival, but Bud Selig has always kept his own team's interest in mind ahead of the Sox's. Hell, we ought to be thankful the Sox aren't playing 81 home dates in Cheeseland right now. The Sox most certainly would be Milwaukee's team if Bud had had his way back in 1967-69.

Minnesota sucks as rival. So does Kansas City. The Sox are charter members of the A.L. and we've been used like a dirty dish rag for most of 100 years.

**** the American League. They haven't done anything for the Sox but **** on us.

ode to veeck
05-02-2004, 01:03 PM
I disagree. Twins are the current rivals all the way down to the teams really disliking each other. Flubs are rivals for the crosstown city title, but that's about it and take up wayyyyy too much bandwidth of Sox fans attention otherwise.

MeanFish
05-02-2004, 01:13 PM
For fans: Cubs

For players: Twins

PaleHoseGeorge
05-02-2004, 01:35 PM
The Twins are our current "rival" for the same reason the A's were our "rival" in the early-70's and the Royals were our "rival" in the early-80's, and the Rangers were our "rival" in the early-90's. They are all teams that blocked our path into the playoffs. Big deal. Once those teams began sucking (or moved to another division) Sox Fans no longer gave a **** about the "rivalry" anymore.

There is nothing intrinsically noteworthy about Minnesota, Oakland, Kansas City, or Texas to make Sox games played against them into a real rivalry like Yankees/Red Sox or Cubs/Cards. We Sox Fans can thank all the other A.L. owners (and our own owners' incompetence) for why this is so.

iwannago
05-02-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by chisoxmike
Twins. I can't stand them. It makes everything a lot more fun too becuase the two teams hate eachother. I remember last season the very first series between the two clubs at the Cell, Umpires warned each team before the games started that crap wouldn't be tolerated.

They didn't care, there was a bench-clearing brawl between them.
GO SOX.

I agree but you have to admire the organization for doing better than the Sox with a smaller budget.

cheeses_h_rice
05-02-2004, 02:10 PM
Since 2001, it's been the Twins, by far. Combine their ability to win despite "not being better on paper," their horrible excuse of a ballpark, and their unbroken string of cocky jagoff characters, and you got yourselves a team worthy of hate.

MRKARNO
05-02-2004, 02:26 PM
Anyone who remembers when Garland beaned Mientkiewicz last year would tell you that its the Twins by far. The Cubs are an early-summer sideshow.

faneidde
05-02-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Since 2001, it's been the Twins, by far. Combine their ability to win despite "not being better on paper," their horrible excuse of a ballpark, and their unbroken string of cocky jagoff characters, and you got yourselves a team worthy of hate.
Wow, you got all of the reasons why I think its the Twins except for one. That one is the way the media falls in the love with the whole they were almost contracted BS everytime they do anything good. Argh, I really hate the Twins. :angry:

stockonline2
05-02-2004, 04:00 PM
I feel that it is the Twins, because they are the sole team that kept the Sox out of the playoffs the last couple seasons. That POS "park" that the Twins play at is a huge advantage for them. They can exploit the fast surface with weak hits that visiting teams have trouble getting a read on.

inta
05-02-2004, 04:40 PM
it's definitely the twins.
but thing is, i dont hate anyone in the AL Central except cleveland... and they're a joke.

detroit, Minneapolis, and KC are all respectable franchises in my book. if the sox dont make it to the playoffs, i always root for those guys.

wasnt there a period in the 70's/80's when there was a pretty heated fan rivalry between the sox and the brewers?

stockonline2
05-02-2004, 04:45 PM
Yeah when they were in the AL and the Sox division. Now, who gives a crap?

WhiteSox = Life
05-02-2004, 04:45 PM
:reinsy
"The fans."

Nellie Comiskey
05-02-2004, 10:37 PM
50's/early 60's - NY Yankees
70's - Royals (with Cheese)
80's - Royals and A's
90's - primarily Indians, little Twins
00's - Twinkies
As far as I'm concerned every team besides the pale hose are rivals. Simply I only care for one team and one team only. I personally like the Cleveland rivalry. There was a lot of tension and resentment when they squared off. The intelligence of Indians fans and Cubs fans are identical. Both like their teams ugly uniforms, pretend to be loyal and lastly know nothing about the game. White and Red Sox fans (generally) are knowledgeable and passionate about the game and specifically the needs of their team. :comiskey

lowesox
05-02-2004, 10:48 PM
I think the twins and royals are just temporary rivals. The sox and indians seemed to really hate each other for a few years there. I think the indians will be good again very soon. Hopefully, the sox will still be good then.

I really liked hating the indians. For the last few years, the twins have really seemed to have our number, but I don't respect them as much as I used to respect the indians.

bigdommer
05-02-2004, 10:59 PM
I agree with the consensus: Twins are the biggest rivals now, because they have been winning the division.

My bold 2004 prediction: there will be one huge bench clearing brawl this season between the Sox and the Twins. I'm talking, 5-10 ejections and some blood spilt. I think, given the right circumstance, Ozzie will have these guys so fired up that they will take the gloves off and duke it out. And I see Frank laying out Mienkayvichz (Doug).

elrod
05-02-2004, 11:40 PM
For the Sox, it's the Twins for sure. I root for the Twins to lose every day. But if they tanked it like the Royals then I wouldn't care.

For me, it's the Cubs and Yankees. I despise no two teams in baseball as much as those teams. Thank God the Florida Marlins dispatched both of them in the post-season last year.

batmanZoSo
05-02-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
The Sox don't have any rivals. That's the problem. Our division is comprised of a bunch of teams none of us would really care about except that they were placed in our division and we have to beat them to get to the playoffs. That is *not* a rival in my book.

Well, yeah, but you're getting too anal in defining "rival." The Twins and Sox have a great rivalry because they DO play each other 19 times a year and they're evenly matched. They'll probably not be our rivals ten years from now or twenty, because it's not a deep-rooted thing, it's just about fighting for the division. And maybe one of us will be out of contention and nothing will matter.

But these things take time. I don't think any classic rivalry was natural. When teams are created, they don't pick a team and say "okay, we're gonna be your rivals." It has to start somewhere. Maybe it's starting right now, maybe not.

Whitesox029
05-03-2004, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by kevingrt
Taking the Scrubbies out of consideration right now it is easily those darn Twinkies. Maggs and company probably just want to eat them alive. They have been so annoying the past two years! Don't even get me started! :angry:
Don't go taking the Scrubbies out of consideration so quickly. In a literal, direct sense, the twins are a much bigger rival because we're fighting over a division. But aren't the cubs almost as big a rivalry because we're fighting for the alllegiance of our city? I was looking at the skyline today going south on Lake Shore drive and thinking..."Such a beautiful city...what a shame it's going to the Cubs."

JohnBasedowYoda
05-03-2004, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by Whitesox029
.."Such a beautiful city...what a shame it's going to the Cubs."

That should be our new unofficial motto for chicago. Love it

Baby Fisk
05-03-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

The Yankees are our natural rival. Detroit and Cleveland were rivals, too, before 1969 when we had 50+ years of competing directly with then for the pennant. The other A.L. owners plowed over those rivalries and we've only gotten them back the last few years.

Milwaukee could have been a rival, but Bud Selig has always kept his own team's interest in mind ahead of the Sox's. Hell, we ought to be thankful the Sox aren't playing 81 home dates in Cheeseland right now. The Sox most certainly would be Milwaukee's team if Bud had had his way back in 1967-69.

Minnesota sucks as rival. So does Kansas City. The Sox are charter members of the A.L. and we've been used like a dirty dish rag for most of 100 years.

**** the American League. They haven't done anything for the Sox but **** on us.

I agree with PHG 100%. The Sox have no natural, long-time rival and that's a shame.

Some could argue the Cubs because of the Chicago rivalry, but that's only worth 6 games a season. The last time these teams met in the post-season was 98 years ago.

The Twins are rival-of-the-month right now. If the Twins & Royals exchanged records, everyone would have said the Royals. It is really hard to work up a lasting hate for any of the AL Norris teams.

I think this lack of a natural rival goes a long way to explaining the bitter navel-gazing and extreme sentiments we see here at WSI towards things like ownership and media columnists and whichever pitcher blew the last game. There isn't another team that consumes all our hate, so we fixate on these other things. I'd love to see a long-term, three-way rivalry develop between the White Sox, Yankees and Red Sox. Three major market teams battling for the AL year after year. Of course, something major would have to change in the Sox organization first:

"That would be me and my small market thinking."

nasox
05-03-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
I agree with PHG 100%. The Sox have no natural, long-time rival and that's a shame.

Some could argue the Cubs because of the Chicago rivalry, but that's only worth 6 games a season. The last time these teams met in the post-season was 98 years ago.

The Twins are rival-of-the-month right now. If the Twins & Royals exchanged records, everyone would have said the Royals. It is really hard to work up a lasting hate for any of the AL Norris teams.

I think this lack of a natural rival goes a long way to explaining the bitter navel-gazing and extreme sentiments we see here at WSI towards things like ownership and media columnists and whichever pitcher blew the last game. There isn't another team that consumes all our hate, so we fixate on these other things. I'd love to see a long-term, three-way rivalry develop between the White Sox, Yankees and Red Sox. Three major market teams battling for the AL year after year. Of course, something major would have to change in the Sox organization first:

"That would be me and my small market thinking."

I think in order for that to happen, the 3 division format and the wild card would have to be done away with, as well as something major changing in the Sox organization. I don't like it. It dilutes the game and fixes something that wasn't broken for a hundred years. The reason we were such rivals with the Yankees in the 50s and 60s were because we always were battling them for the pennant year after year. This wouldn't happen nowadays because we would never be battling them for a pennant directly year after year, even if we had a team good enough to do so. I hate the wild card but it will never be rid of because of the extra revenue that is generated by the extra games and the extra teams in the WS. Damn you Bud Selig. Damn you. You are as bad of a Comish as Ford Frick was.

Treated like a dish rag, just like PHG said. No wonder we have so much anger. I just want to murder Selig right now. POS

greenpeach
05-03-2004, 11:11 AM
If & when the Tigers get good again, I could see the Tigers being the natural rival of the Sox. After all, both teams are fighting for fans (along with the Cubs) on the west side of Michigan. When I lived in Kalamazoo in the early 1980's, the fan base was divided equally between those three teams.

Baby Fisk
05-03-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by nasox
I think in order for that to happen, the 3 division format and the wild card would have to be done away with, as well as something major changing in the Sox organization. I don't like it. It dilutes the game and fixes something that wasn't broken for a hundred years. The reason we were such rivals with the Yankees in the 50s and 60s were because we always were battling them for the pennant year after year. This wouldn't happen nowadays because we would never be battling them for a pennant directly year after year, even if we had a team good enough to do so. I hate the wild card but it will never be rid of because of the extra revenue that is generated by the extra games and the extra teams in the WS.

Agreed: unless some moron commish of the future turns MLB's postseason into an NHL-like circus (2 months of playoffs with the Stanley Cup finals in June!), we are stuck with the current format.

I think a great Palehose-Yankees-Carmines rivalry could still be stoked in the postseason...provided the Sox can be built into a franchise that makes the postseason on a regular basis ala Yankees/Braves. Of course, JR's been unable to achieve this in 23 years, so why get one's hopes up? :(:

"You people just got a new upper deck! One demand at a time, please!"