PDA

View Full Version : Per ESPN: Feds have steroid results for ALL 1,200 MLB tests

StillMissOzzie
05-02-2004, 03:08 AM
According to ESPN.com, the feds now have the steroid test results for ALL 1,200 MLB tests done . Besides the repurcussions if the results leaked (no pun intended), there was some interesting spin control underway: (My comments)

One unidentified player is contemplating filing suit against MLB, presumably for not destroying the samples and results while they had the chance, before the feds laid a subpoena on them. (Why?)

Two agents for "high-profile" players have expressed concern that the results could hurt their client's chances at election to the HOF (Ya think?)

The results for the 10 BALCO-related clientele (Bonds, Giambi, et al) are being examined to see if they committed perjury in their grand jury testimony.

The feces could really be hitting the fan soon!!

SMO

DrCrawdad
05-02-2004, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
According to ESPN.com, the feds now have the steroid test results for ALL 1,200 MLB tests done . Besides the repurcussions if the results leaked (no pun intended), there was some interesting spin control underway: (My comments)

One unidentified player is contemplating filing suit against MLB, presumably for not destroying the samples and results while they had the chance, before the feds laid a subpoena on them. (Why?)

Two agents for "high-profile" players have expressed concern that the results could hurt their client's chances at election to the HOF (Ya think?)

The results for the 10 BALCO-related clientele (Bonds, Giambi, et al) are being examined to see if they committed perjury in their grand jury testimony.

SMO

Oh how I hope the test results and names get leaked to the press.

gosox41
05-02-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie

SMO

I hope Sammy's name comes out. Let's hope one of those Feds acts as an 'unnamed source' and is a White Sox fan.

Bob

TornLabrum
05-02-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I hope Sammy's name comes out. Let's hope one of those Feds acts as an 'unnamed source' and is a White Sox fan.

Bob

The only way I see the Feds leaking this info is if it helps convince someone to testify, or if former owner George Bush wants to continue to make an example of ball players.

gosox41
05-02-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
The only way I see the Feds leaking this info is if it helps convince someone to testify, or if former owner George Bush wants to continue to make an example of ball players.

I want that to happen to. But I also want Sammy to be exposed for the cheat he is.

As far as I'm concerned (and this is a little off subject) all those home run records from 98-02 should have the asterisk by them or be removed. Probably won't happen. But I want Sammy exposed for what he is and I want the media to go after him for once. It hurts Sosa's 'lovable' image and will hopefully serve as a big distraction to the team.

Bob

The Critic
05-02-2004, 09:26 AM
Although the means is a little sketchy ( access and possible leaking of results to a supposedly anonymous test ), I really want to know who is/isn't ( or at least was/wasn't ) using something.
If only for the reason that I want to know who was stupid/arrogant enough to use when he KNEW that a test was coming up, anonymous or not.

TornLabrum
05-02-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by The Critic
Although the means is a little sketchy ( access and possible leaking of results to a supposedly anonymous test ), I really want to know who is/isn't ( or at least was/wasn't ) using something.
If only for the reason that I want to know who was stupid/arrogant enough to use when he KNEW that a test was coming up, anonymous or not.

:shammy

"Who are you calling stupid and arrogant?"

johnny bench
05-02-2004, 11:14 AM
Everyone on this thread is so sure that Sammy is taking steroids and so they want the results released so that Sammy is taken off the board and the Cubs falter.

I want everyone to think about:
1. Would the Cubs really be worse off without Sosa as part of their baseball team? It's not clear to me that if you eliminate all those clutch strike outs, bad throws and poor decisions on the base paths for which we all hold Sammy in such low regard, that the Cubs would not be able to make up for the lost RBIs.
Keep in mind that I am differentiating the performance of the baseball team from that of the Cubs as part of the Tribune Company, which would clearly be worse off without Sammy's power as a drawing card.

2. Since so many former players have said that steroids use is widespread, who on the Sox would be taken down in the same dragnet and wouldn't the Sox be worse off?

SoxEd
05-02-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by johnny bench

2. Since so many former players have said that steroids use is widespread, who on the Sox would be taken down in the same dragnet and wouldn't the Sox be worse off?

I would expect the Sox to be totally clean - look at their refusal to take any tests, in order to trigger mandatory testing (before the MLBPA banjaxed that idea).

Of course, if Sammy did test positive, can't you just see the headlines now - "Former Chicago White Sox player Sammy Sosa proves to be Drug Cheat"?

DrummerGeorgefan
05-02-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by johnny bench
off without Sosa as part of their baseball team? It's not clear to me that if you eliminate all those clutch strike outs, bad throws and poor decisions on the base paths for which we all hold Sammy in such low regard, that the Cubs would not be able to make up for the lost RBIs.

I totally agree. Often times I have watched/attended a cubs game when all the Sammy lovers go crazy when he gets to bat with a runner in scoring position and 2 outs. I really wonder if they have ever watched him hit in those situations.

I would love to find a stat that shows how many times Sosa has K'd with runners in scoring position to end an inning.

johnny bench
05-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by SoxEd
I would expect the Sox to be totally clean - look at their refusal to take any tests, in order to trigger mandatory testing (before the MLBPA banjaxed that idea).

I would not expect any team to be totally clean, even the beloved.

batmanZoSo
05-02-2004, 08:12 PM
No good player on this team is taking steroids. Frank doesn't, Magglio definitely doesn't, Lee and Konerko... If anyone is, it'll be another Marvin Benard.