PDA

View Full Version : Dan Wright Sent Down

BBaum21
05-01-2004, 10:33 PM
Ozzie and KW have finally seen the light!! Dan Wright has been sent down to AAA Charlotte. Jamie Burke has been recalled to take his spot.

soltrain21
05-01-2004, 10:34 PM
Where did you hear that at?

santo=dorf
05-01-2004, 10:35 PM
I thought he was out of options. :?:

BBaum21
Courtesy of the ESPN 1000 postgame show.

voodoochile
Welcome Aboard! :D:

I though Wright was out of options.

RKMeibalane
05-01-2004, 10:36 PM
Good. That's where he belongs. I don't want to see him back with the White Sox again. It's good that they're giving his roster spot to someone who might actually make a positive contribution.

1951Campbell
05-01-2004, 10:36 PM
Wright got sent down? To quote Kurt Warner..."thank you Jesuuuuuuuuuuuussssssssssss!!!"

batmanZoSo
05-01-2004, 10:37 PM
I don't know about that. Anyone else confirm this? No offense, but I don't know if I trust a newcomer yet.

soltrain21
05-01-2004, 10:37 PM
They didn't bring up Wunsch because? Maybe he REALLY is on his way out?

Wright, Wunsch and Rowand to Montreal...LETS DO THIS!

Randar68
05-01-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Good. That's where he belongs. I don't want to see him back with the White Sox again. It's good that they're giving his roster spot to someone who might actually make a positive contribution.

Why recall Burke? Why do we need a 3rd freaking catcher?

How about Diaz, Rauch, anyone else...

batmanZoSo
05-01-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

I know, my god. Alomar trade must be in the works. This can't be true.

MRKARNO
05-01-2004, 10:40 PM
:threadrules:

voodoochile
05-01-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo

Who wants Alomar?

BBaum21
05-01-2004, 10:42 PM
Ozzie announced the decision at the beginning of his press conference.

soltrain21
05-01-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by BBaum21

Cool...I really wonder WHY its Burke though?

SoxxoS
05-01-2004, 10:43 PM
It's not true yet, MRKARNO.

I thought he was out of options as well, and calling up Burke doesn't make sense. Since Valentin is coming off the DL, they probably would just keep Dransfeldt up, or call Jeremy Reed up.

voodoochile
05-01-2004, 10:43 PM

Not a shock. He didn't even say anything when he took Dan out.

ChiSox7
05-01-2004, 10:47 PM
So who would the fifth starter be? Cotts? That really puts a hole in our bullpen. Only 1 lefty.

batmanZoSo
05-01-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Who wants Alomar?

Exactly. A trade of him would be the only reason to call up Burke, that's why I don't believe the whole thing. Or at least the Burke part must be wrong. Of course I could be too.

soltrain21
There HAS to be something in the works if Wunsch isn't the one getting called up.

Whitesox029
This brightens my day a bit. I want Cotts in there.

santo=dorf
Well as long as the bus is in the parking lot, how about Rowand and Harris?

MRKARNO
05-01-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
It's not true yet, MRKARNO.

Well unless it's a pretty big practical joke it's a sure thing. Just tune into ESPN 1000.

Danny Wrong is just absolutely brutal. After that outing he simply could not stay. It's clear that he will never be a good starter for this team again.

I was a little peeved that we called up Burke instead of Diaz, who clearly has earned a spot on the major league roster, but there have been times when we clearly needed another guy off the bench otherwise we'd be in trouble. Plus Burke can play 3rd and outfield, so that's always a plus.

I guess this begins part 2 of the Neal Cotts era.

Nard
05-01-2004, 10:55 PM
We better keep Kelly on board for a little while longer at least.

See if the success keeps up.

SEALgep
05-01-2004, 10:59 PM
I like the idea of having three catchers on the team, especially if one can play third as well. However, I think it would have been better to bring Diaz in as the fifth starter, and to keep Cotts in the pen. Not that I have a problem with Cotts starting, I just figured that would make more sense. Either way though, you can't complain about the decision to send him down. Today was just awful, and it ruined a chance to be even with the Twins. I'm not worried though, we're playing good ball, and four of our losses are from Danny, even though one game wasn't pitched that bad (Devil Rays). Is it a good idea to shrink our pen down though, and leave it with only left handed reliever? I'm not sure that's a good idea, but I'll wait for it to be a problem before I get overly concerned.

Soxheads
05-01-2004, 11:01 PM
This doesn't make much sense unless somethings happening. Besides gving the Knights less flexibility (A LOT LESS, unless something happens of course), and with Diaz tearing it up....

I dunno....

soltrain21
05-01-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads
This doesn't make much sense unless somethings happening. Besides gving the Knights less flexibility (A LOT LESS, unless something happens of course), and with Diaz tearing it up....

I dunno....

I honestly think something is happening...

Soxheads
Yeah, Danny is fine as far as options. I just don't see why we need another infielder, cause I can't see him catching that much.

South Side
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Well unless it's a pretty big practical joke it's a sure thing. Just tune into ESPN 1000.

Danny Wrong is just absolutely brutal. After that outing he simply could not stay. It's clear that he will never be a good starter for this team again.

I was a little peeved that we called up Burke instead of Diaz, who clearly has earned a spot on the major league roster, but there have been times when we clearly needed another guy off the bench otherwise we'd be in trouble. Plus Burke can play 3rd and outfield, so that's always a plus.

I guess this begins part 2 of the Neal Cotts era.

They just talked about it on the news. It's for sure.

SoxxoS
Don't get ESPN1000 in Arizona.

Now that its official, this can only be a good thing.

Soxheads
05-01-2004, 11:05 PM
Maybe this is just temporary since we won't need a fifth starter for a while and we might as well have a bat in the process...

Soxheads
05-01-2004, 11:07 PM
I guess we don't need a fifth starter until the 16th...

Win1ForMe
05-01-2004, 11:14 PM
Yeah, we won't need a 5th starter spot for a while. Not until the Twins series, although I'm not sure I want the 5th starter (whoever it is) pitching against the Twins.

SEALgep
05-01-2004, 11:15 PM
Yeah, Danny is fine as far as options. I just don't see why we need another infielder, cause I can't see him catching that much. I think it is temporary, but we'll see. It does give you flexibility, especially if you want to pinch hit for Alomar, or for extra inning games when you don't want to overuse Olivo or Alomar. I personally think we'd be better off with another pitcher, and maybe we'll see that instead soon. However, I do see the benefit of having Burke around.

ChiSox7
05-01-2004, 11:21 PM
UGH. The news isn't as good as we hoped. Wrights just getting sent down to 'get some work' in between his starts. Guillen acted like they were just sending them down so he doesn't miss a scheduled start.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040501soxgamer,1,6037671.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

soltrain21
05-01-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox7
UGH. The news isn't as good as we hoped. Wrights just getting sent down to 'get some work' in between his starts. Guillen acted like they were just sending them down so he doesn't miss a scheduled start.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040501soxgamer,1,6037671.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Son of a....

Here's hoping he gets rocked in Charlotte, than...

Win1ForMe
05-01-2004, 11:24 PM

Damn... I was becoming very 'osstimistic'

RKMeibalane
05-01-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by soltrain21
Son of a....

Here's hoping he gets rocked in Charlotte, than...

When is the Sox organization going to understand that Dan Wright can't pitch? Everyone wants to talk about how much talent the guy has. Well, I've got news for you: talent doesn't mean **** at the professional level. Mentally, Wright doesn't have what it takes to succeed in Major League Baseball. Period. He is killing the Sox every time he goes out there. It's almost automatic that any start by Wright will be a loss, because he can't stop opposing teams from putting runs on the board in bunches when he's out there.

SoxxoS
05-01-2004, 11:29 PM
I just wanted to know when he started topping off at 90 mph...

DrCrawdad
05-01-2004, 11:29 PM
If Wright gets his (butt) kicked in a couple of starts in AAA (as I fully expect that he will) how can the Sox bring him up?

DrCrawdad
05-01-2004, 11:31 PM
When is the Sox organization going to understand that Dan Wright can't pitch? Everyone wants to talk about how much talent the guy has. Well, I've got news for you: talent doesn't mean **** at the professional level. Mentally, Wright doesn't have what it takes to succeed in Major League Baseball. Period. He is killing the Sox every time he goes out there. It's almost automatic that any start by Wright will be a loss, because he can't stop opposing teams from putting runs on the board in bunches when he's out there.

I heard Farmio talking up Wright tonight. Farmio, drop-it!

RKMeibalane
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
If Wright gets his (butt) kicked in a couple of starts in AAA (as I fully expect that he will) how can the Sox bring him up?

:reinsy

"We can bring him up because we're too cheap to go out and find another starter. And guess what? It's ALL YOUR FAULT!"

Randar68
Originally posted by soltrain21
There HAS to be something in the works if Wunsch isn't the one getting called up.

You mean 'something' as in:

- Kelly isn't getting near 90 mphh in AAA
- Kelly isn't getting guys ouot consistently in AAA

Those sound like good enough reasons to me...

HomeFish
05-01-2004, 11:32 PM
It's still a better press conference than "Danny Wright is still my #5 starter".

A.T. Money
05-01-2004, 11:32 PM

Amen. I was at this double header, and I said the same thing over and over. Every game Danny Wrong pitches, is a loss. Even when the offense starts scoring in the game, the deficit Wrong creates is just too hard to overcome.

Danny Wrong will never be a major league starter with success.

MRKARNO
05-01-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

I bet you that they'd say: "Oh, we cant do this with Wright anymore. Feliz Diaz(preferibly)/Jon Rauch can actually pitch at this level, unlike Danny Wright, let's promote one of them."

Viva Magglio
05-01-2004, 11:39 PM
Has the idea of calling Feliz Diaz up crossed Sox brass minds?

Randar68
05-01-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep

Hey, Sealgep, how was Rowand's stellar defense tonight??? "Fine?"

SEALgep
05-01-2004, 11:44 PM
Hey, Sealgep, how was Rowand's stellar defense tonight??? "Fine?" No today sucked, but it was the first day like that. Where were you when he was playing very well defensively? :D:

SEALgep
05-01-2004, 11:47 PM

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040501soxgamer,1,6037671.story?coll=cs-home-headlines That's what the Trib interpreted, Guillen didn't say that. If he's bad enough to be sent down in the first place, I doubt they have him as a lock to be brought back up. I think Diaz or Grilli will replace Burke when a fifth starter is needed more.

Daver
05-01-2004, 11:48 PM
No today sucked, but it was the first day like that.

It was?

You watching the same games I am?

OurBitchinMinny
05-01-2004, 11:51 PM
Cotts should be the #5 starter. We dont need to groom him to be a pen guy. He has started his whole life and is a starter. I know diaz is doing well, but cotts has go to be the first guy. As for wright I think he could be effective out of the pen

SEALgep
05-01-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Daver
It was?

You watching the same games I am? You bet.

EDIT: But I should include that I'm looking forward to Reed coming up. Always have been, I just like Rowand. With Reed being a left handed bat, I think it's going to be a tough decision when he does come up what to do with either Rowand or Perez. One will no doubtedly have to go, and I'm not really sure who it will be. We'll see, maybe even by June.

TornLabrum
05-01-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by A.T. Money
Amen. I was at this double header, and I said the same thing over and over. Every game Danny Wrong pitches, is a loss. Even when the offense starts scoring in the game, the deficit Wrong creates is just too hard to overcome.

That's only because he gives up the runs the offense gets back for him as soon as he gets back on the mound.

It's nice knowing my freezing for seven hours or so didn't go in vain. Danny is gone for now.

SEALgep
05-01-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by ChisoxfaninMinny
Cotts should be the #5 starter. We dont need to groom him to be a pen guy. He has started his whole life and is a starter. I know diaz is doing well, but cotts has go to be the first guy. As for wright I think he could be effective out of the pen We need a left hander for the pen besides Marte. We're not grooming him to be a pen guy, it's just where he is now, and he's successful with it. Right now, it looks like we'd be better to keep Cotts where he is and have Diaz take the fifth spot.

chisox06
05-02-2004, 12:09 AM
Danny Wright flat out sucks. He's lost considerable velocity on his fastball and hitters are waitin for that and absolutely CRUSHING it, nothing new there. Every game this guy pitches in is a loss, hes never been much, the fact that Hawk/and DJ talk up this schmucks 14 games 2 years ago shows that he hasn't been anything more than mediocre, like to see what Diaz can do but we'll just have to wait, he'll factor into this team later in the season IMO.

CHISOXFAN13
05-02-2004, 12:20 AM
You bet.

EDIT: But I should include that I'm looking forward to Reed coming up. Always have been, I just like Rowand. With Reed being a left handed bat, I think it's going to be a tough decision when he does come up what to do with either Rowand or Perez. One will no doubtedly have to go, and I'm not really sure who it will be. We'll see, maybe even by June.

You miss Tuesday's game when he not only had an error but also completely butchered an angle to the ball IN LC early in the game?

I like the guy, but only as a fourth OF. He's had his chance and isn't getting the job done defensively or offensively.

Rex Hudler
05-02-2004, 12:32 AM
I thought he was out of options.

Options were never an issue with Wright. I am not sure if he has ever been optioned down. There is a gray area in 2003 because he was sent down twice. But there is a rule that says an option is not used if a player is sent down for less than 20 days. And another that says an option is not used if a pitcher is sent down during Interleague play so a position player can be called up.

I can't find the exact dates in old transactions so I am not sure if those situations apply or not. I never could find in the transactions where it said he was optioned to Charlotte, like it does in tonight's transactions.

Nevertheless, this is his 2nd option at most, meaning next year could be another option year. So options are not a problem here.

pearso66
05-02-2004, 12:43 AM
Welcome aboard, nice to have another Michigan State guy. They seem to be growing around here.

As for Wright being sent down, its about time. Although there were more runs given up today than just by him, Cotts gave up a couple, as did Atkins. But if he had a good outing, we probably wouldnt have been in those positions.

NonetheLoaiza
05-02-2004, 01:18 AM
wright really looked terrible today

lowesox
05-02-2004, 01:43 AM
Wow, it's amazing to me how many people here are actually hoping Danny Wright will get hit hard in AAA. Why would anybody want that? You don't like him on the sox, fine. But let's all keep in mind Wright is a guy that other teams see potential in. If he pitches well, he could rebound and become consistent. Or he could raise his trade value.

Let's also remember that Wright has a history of being a pretty good reliever. So no matter what he still has a tremendous amount of value to the White Sox.

I for one will continue rooting for Danny WRight.

Nard
05-02-2004, 01:48 AM
Me too.

So he's been terrible this season. That's no reason to not like the guy. It's not like he was trying to give up hits out there.

If you're gonna blame anyone for his failures, blame the people who put him out there for yet another start when his problems had pretty much already been exposed.

If he stops sucking so hard and comes back to the majors, more power to him.

nasox
05-02-2004, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
Wow, it's amazing to me how many people here are actually hoping Danny Wright will get hit hard in AAA. Why would anybody want that? You don't like him on the sox, fine. But let's all keep in mind Wright is a guy that other teams see potential in. If he pitches well, he could rebound and become consistent. Or he could raise his trade value.

Let's also remember that Wright has a history of being a pretty good reliever. So no matter what he still has a tremendous amount of value to the White Sox.

If he doesn't get hit hard in AAA, then they will surely call danny Wrong back up. Ozzie said they are sending him down because he won't have a start for some time. But if he can't pitch well in AAA, they are gonna have to look at him and say, if he can't pitch there, how can he pitch here. Therefore, they will call up Diaz or promote Cotts to that role. Many of us are hoping for a scenario similar to that.

As far as Wrong being a good reliever in the past, many posters here feel that Danny is so maligned that he should be rid of the team forever. He has great stuff-I'll give him that. But he has the mental capacity and strength of Bambi (not very good). He doesn't have the attitude, mind set or metal capability to be a pitcher in this league IMHO.

And even if he does raise his trade value, what good is it gonna do? KW and the rest of the front office won't trade him. They keep on using him when it clearly doesn't work. What is going to stop them from continuing that process in the future?

mikef1331
05-02-2004, 02:48 AM
I found this quote on the White Sox Website. (http://www.whitesox.com/)

"Wright was optioned to Triple-A Charlotte following the game and will be replaced on the roster by Jamie Burke, the catcher/infielder who made it to the last round of cuts in Spring Training before being reassigned. With three days off between Sunday and May 25, Wright's spot would have been skipped in order to keep the top four starters on their regular rest.

Instead of the right-hander sitting in the bullpen and not getting used regularly, Wright will work every five days for the Knights."

depy48
05-02-2004, 03:05 AM
I've always thought that Wright can be effwectiv out of the pen. So i'm not giving up hope on Wright. I would like to see Cotts start, but i have a gut feeling that Grilli can impress.

OurBitchinMinny
05-02-2004, 03:09 AM
By Paul Sullivan
Tribune staff reporter
July 26, 2001 11:16 PM CDT
James Baldwin is gone, and Keith Foulke can't help but wonder whether his days with the White Sox also are numbered.

After recording his 23rd save Thursday night in the Sox's 5-4 victory over Cleveland, Foulke said the Sox don't appear interested in keeping him for the long term.

"They don't want to negotiate," Foulke said. "We've talked on and off for two years. Whenever something is close, they back off or change their mind. I guess I'm not on their priority list."

Responding to Foulke's comment, general manager Ken Williams said the Sox have told Foulke's agents they'll revisit negotiations after the July 31 trading deadline, which suggests Foulke is available until then if Arizona or any other team is willing to pay a hefty price.

The Sox earned a split in the Indians series with Gary Glover making a last-minute start for Baldwin, yielding one run in 3 1/3 innings, and Matt Ginter notching the win in relief. Jose Canseco hit a three-run homer, tying him with Carl Yastrzemski for 22nd on the all-time home run list at 452.

"A lot of guys will miss , but that's the way baseball is structured," Canseco said. "Who knows? More guys could be traded. I could be traded too."

Williams said he wants to keep the core of the team together, though Foulke knows the Sox have a history of trading pitchers they don't think they can re-sign. Foulke isn't eligible for free agency until after 2003.

"I definitely know it's a great possibility, but there's a lot of business to be taken care of between now and then," Foulke said.

The Sox announced after the game that right-hander Danny Wright was called-up from Class-AA Birmingham, pushing the Sox toward another youth movement.

"By no means are we shutting down," Foulke said. "The young guys have been doing it all year for us, and we're going to rely on them just a little bit more."

Wright, a second-round draft pick in '99, will move into the rotation soon, probably following a brief stint in the bullpen. With the future of Foulke uncertain, Wright could eventually replace him as closer.

[B]"Danny Wright is a guy who very may well be a top-of-the-rotation starter but can also be a top-notch closer," Williams said. "We have to see which one he adapts to best."

Remember when his future looked so bright? I still think he can be effectice in long relief and maybe some day as a closer. Wasnt Gagne a failed starter? I could be wrong, but Ithink he was.

A.T. Money
05-02-2004, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by ChisoxfaninMinny

Remember when his future looked so bright? I still think he can be effectice in long relief and maybe some day as a closer. Wasnt Gagne a failed starter? I could be wrong, but Ithink he was.

Yeah except Gagne is an absolute bad ass on the mound and has wicked stuff. Wright can't even throw a strike without getting murdered.

gosox41
05-02-2004, 07:58 AM
Ozzie and KW have finally seen the light!! Dan Wright has been sent down to AAA Charlotte. Jamie Burke has been recalled to take his spot.

I expected more from Wright this year as a SP, but he is best suited for the bullpen. I would have considered flipping him in Cotts around on the pitching staff.

And for the record (though it's early and Cotts hasn't had a start yet) I'm thrilled to see him pitching well.

Bob

gosox41
05-02-2004, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by mikef1331
I found this quote on the White Sox Website. (http://www.whitesox.com/)

"Wright was optioned to Triple-A Charlotte following the game and will be replaced on the roster by Jamie Burke, the catcher/infielder who made it to the last round of cuts in Spring Training before being reassigned. With three days off between Sunday and May 25, Wright's spot would have been skipped in order to keep the top four starters on their regular rest.

Instead of the right-hander sitting in the bullpen and not getting used regularly, Wright will work every five days for the Knights."

IMHO, once Valentin is activated, Bruke should be sent down and Dransfeldt kept up.

Also, did anyone catch Ozzie's comment in Saturday's Trib about how the Sox need 12 pitchers up here? Why not bring up Kelly?

Bob

Rex Hudler
05-02-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
IMHO, once Valentin is activated, Bruke should be sent down and Dransfeldt kept up.

Also, did anyone catch Ozzie's comment in Saturday's Trib about how the Sox need 12 pitchers up here? Why not bring up Kelly?

Bob

I didn't catch the article you referred to, but with the off days, the Sox won't need 12 pitchers for awhile..... as long as we don't have any more DH's where the bullpen gets used heavily. lol

rmusacch
05-02-2004, 09:48 AM
I guess we don't need a fifth starter until the 16th...

We need a fifth starter on Wednesday unless you are going to pitch Buehrle on three day's rest.

Rex Hudler
05-02-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by rmusacch
We need a fifth starter on Wednesday unless you are going to pitch Buehrle on three day's rest.

You might see them sneak Cotts into that spot, hoping to squeeze 4 innings out of him.

bafiarocks03
05-02-2004, 11:17 AM
oh PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

doctor30th
05-02-2004, 11:43 AM
can I ask why we would trade for alomar when he is on the dl for a broken hand that was just surgically repaired and he won't be back until late june?

I dont' think it would happen.

beckett21
05-02-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by lowesox

Amen.

This was my contention in the other threads about Wright. Personally I have been highly critical of other players, namely Billy Koch. While I understand the frustration with Wright, let's not crucify the poor guy. I highly doubt that it's his intent to stink up the joint every 5th night. For whatever reason, be it lack of preparation, loss of velocity, physical/psychological problems, he can't cut it right now. Unlike Koch, he doesn't make 6 million dollars a year and cannot be held to the same standard in the sense that there is only so much to be expected from the guy. Sure we want everyone to succeed every night, but it is not going to happen. Doesn't give him a free pass, but let's look at him for what he is: a 5th starter.

It does no one, least of all the Sox, any good for him to continue this downward spiral. Maybe there is something mechanical that can be corrected; maybe not. I have no idea, I don't know enough to venture an opinion. But if nothing else, hopefully he can show enough to maintain some trade value as you mentioned.

All that being said, he has forfeited his claim to the 5th spot after last night, no doubt about it. To not cheer for the guy as a fellow human being is just sad. Hopefully those that cheer his demise are perfect people who have never had a day of failure in their lives. Congratulations. I for one am admittedly far from perfect.

We're all on the same side here. Criticize his performance, fine. Let's just hope he improves so that he can help us one way or another, be it on the field or via trade.

Lip Man 1
05-02-2004, 01:24 PM
I like jamie Burke but the bullpen is tapped out, the next off day isn't until Thursday and they need arms not guys off the bench.

Wunsch must have really done something to piss Williams' off that he's willing to potentially hurt the team rather then bring him up.

Either that or he is really hurt and the Sox aren't telling anyone.

Lip

faneidde
05-02-2004, 02:11 PM
My thoughts on all the topics discussed in this thread:

1. Danny Wright does in fact suck. He is awful. I hope he gets drilled in AAA or they'll call him back up. He has no trade value now anway. We couldn't even get a tube of glove oil for him right now. Although Jaime Navaro might be available.

2. Danny Wright could NEVER be a closer. He never strikes anyone out, something closers generally do a lot. Also, he gives up a bunch of home runs and walks. Two things I'd prefer a closer not to give up.

3. Roward isn't good defensively, but he's not terrible. I think I'll go with below average. I don't think he's ever gotten a good jump on a line drive.

4. Who is Jaime Burke? I know he's a cather/infielder, but why do we need him? No one has really answered this. Calling up Reed doesn't really make sense now since Timo is playing well. Maybe its just a case that there is no one else to call up and Burke earned a chance to play in the bigs druing Spring Training.

5. Any word on when Jose might come back?

6. Oh, here's a thought. Once Jose is back, bat Timo lead-off, Uribe 2nd, and Manos in the 8 spot. Just a thought, of course against lefties Rowand would start and bat at the end of the order where he belongs.

StockdaleForVeep
05-02-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo

alomar doesnt really play anymore so burke would be the backup

all alomar does now is teach olivo and now burke will get major experience and elssons froma good teacher

MRKARNO
05-02-2004, 04:34 PM
Danny Wright isnt even passable as a 5th starter. Pretty much anyone with an 8 ERA isnt deserving of a spot on our roster. If Cotts or Diaz could do a better job than Wright, I dont see why we dont use one of them. I really hope they're just disguising this as a way to keep Wright down until he turns it around later in the year and we can use him from the bullpen so that when we do need a 5th guy, we call up Diaz or Wunsch while handing the spot to Cotts

SEALgep
05-02-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I like jamie Burke but the bullpen is tapped out, the next off day isn't until Thursday and they need arms not guys off the bench.

Wunsch must have really done something to piss Williams' off that he's willing to potentially hurt the team rather then bring him up.

Lip I don't think KW would purposely hurt the team by implementing his personal vengence. It's not like Wunsch is throwing lights out in AAA right now. Maybe, since we don't need the fifth starter for a while, they keep Cotts in the pen until we do, and then move Wunsch into Burke's spot. Not sure if they are, but that's a possible scenerio. Or you can keep Cotts there and move a guy like Diaz or Grilli into that spot. I don't think Burke is going to be here very long, so I wouldn't look too much into why Wunsch isn't up yet. Especially since I pointed out that he hasn't been overly impressive in his rehab.

SEALgep
05-02-2004, 05:32 PM
I've said before that Danny Wright should be learning how to close, or possibly a short inning reliever. I think he can be effective in that role, and now's the time to see if he has any worth. It's possible he could be a starter, but I think it's pretty obvious he isn't going to be one with us. Teach him to be a closer/reliever and see what he does. If he can't do that either, then we cut our losses. However, I think he can show he has some value in that role. We'll see, but that's the direction I would take with him at this point. Especially since we have at least three guys in the minors, IMO, that could come in and be our fifth starter (Diaz, Grilli, and Rauch, and probably a few other guys if we wanted to give them a shot) and that's not even including Cotts (but I would rather keep him in the pen as our left hander unless Wunsch got the call). Point is, it's not necessary to give Wright another shot, it's time to see who else can get it done, and to see if Wright can be an effective reliever, if for no other reason to give us possible trade value for him.

Frater Perdurabo
05-02-2004, 05:32 PM
An honest question for the scouts and pitching experts among us:

What is wrong with Dan Wright? How can a young pitcher go from winning 14 games in 2002 to such a miserable performance in 2003 and this year?

Is it mechanical? Is his delivery screwed up? Has he lost velocity? Is it in his head? Did he thrive under (gasp!) Nardi? Or did he benefit from being virtually unknown to opposing hitters in 2002?

SEALgep
05-02-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo

What is wrong with Dan Wright? How can a young pitcher go from winning 14 games in 2002 to such a miserable performance in 2003 and this year?

Is it mechanical? Is his delivery screwed up? Has he lost velocity? Is it in his head? Did he thrive under (gasp!) Nardi? Or did he benefit from being virtually unknown to opposing hitters in 2002? He did lose velocity, and he isn't hitting his spots effectively. When he is throwing strikes, they're usually cookies that guys can pound. Wright has good stuff, but he isn't using it effectively. Maybe he has the same problem Garland had in his first few seasons (which I think he has remedied for this one). It's mostly mental, but he has lost velocity.

MRKARNO
05-02-2004, 05:39 PM

Is it mechanical? Is his delivery screwed up? Has he lost velocity? Is it in his head? Did he thrive under (gasp!) Nardi? Or did he benefit from being virtually unknown to opposing hitters in 2002?

I wouldnt really call his 2002 all that impressive. He had a 5.18 ERA, a WHIP of 1.38 and not a ton of strikeouts. He had 12 losses to go with those 14 wins. He got 4 of those wins in the last 4 starts with a 3.54 ERA. That 4-game stretch is essentially the only thing keeping him from being a terrible starter with no success ever. He was 10-12 with a 5.45 ERA up till then.

Daver
05-02-2004, 05:42 PM

He spent almost all of 2003 injured,and did not rehab well,because he thought his injury to be more severe than than what was dignosed by the Sox medical staff,even though he saw a specialist that confirmed the Sox diagnosis.

I have no idea why he broke ST with the ML club,he should have gone to Charlotte to work out his mechanical problems,and that is where the bulk of his problems are.His release point varies from pitch to pitch,he is leery to throw his slider,and is not following through with his curve,these are all related to rehab,and to regaining confidence in his ability,something he needs badly.

But then again,what the hell do I know? ©

SEALgep
05-02-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Daver
He spent almost all of 2003 injured,and did not rehab well,because he thought his injury to be more severe than than what was dignosed by the Sox medical staff,even though he saw a specialist that confirmed the Sox diagnosis.

I have no idea why he broke ST with the ML club,he should have gone to Charlotte to work out his mechanical problems,and that is where the bulk of his problems are.His release point varies from pitch to pitch,he is leery to throw his slider,and is not following through with his curve,these are all related to rehab,and to regaining confidence in his ability,something he needs badly.

But then again,what the hell do I know? © Maybe you should bust out the elephant gun for Wright. :D:

Lip Man 1
05-02-2004, 07:54 PM
Danny Wright was rushed to the major leagues without learning how to pitch plus as Daver pointed out, he's a head case.

Seal: I understand Burke probably won't be here long but the bullpen needs fresh arms right now, not three days from now or a week from now.

Lip

Rex Hudler
05-02-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

If they need another lefty in the pen, I would not be surprised if it is Munoz. There were Sox brass in Birmingham today to watch him pitch. He was actually kind of shaky, but if you can give up 4 hits and two walks in 5 innings while striking out six, while not being at your best, it must not be too bad. He gave up 3 runs but only one was earned due to his own stupid error.

jordan23ventura
05-02-2004, 10:31 PM

Probably because the organization wants to put Burke on the field. If it hadn't been for the Timo trade he would hvae been the last man. All the utility/bench players have collectively done an admirable job thus far, so why not add Burke to the mix, especially considering that there has to be some trade in the works w/ either Wunsch and/or Valentin.