PDA

View Full Version : Too many black uniforms?

Railsplitter
05-01-2004, 08:49 PM
Am I the only one who thinks it? I guess it's all to keep up marketing or have new revenue for caps, t-shirts, etc.

Pity, becuase I can remember when teams tried to set themselves apart (A's green and gold) rather than copy them.

doublem23
05-01-2004, 09:23 PM
Black uniforms look good when it makes sense for the team. The White Sox black uniforms are sweet; they just wear them too often. But yeah, when teams like the Royals, Blue Jays, and Mets are wearing black alties, they look stupid.

Ten bucks says the next crazy wave will be vests that have the cap logo on the right breast, a la the Indians.

batmanZoSo
05-01-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Black uniforms look good when it makes sense for the team. The White Sox black uniforms are sweet; they just wear them too often. But yeah, when teams like the Royals, Blue Jays, and Mets are wearing black alties, they look stupid.

Ten bucks says the next crazy wave will be vests that have the cap logo on the right breast, a la the Indians.

Here's hoping that doesn't happen. Those Indians unis you described are terrible. So are the Rangers similar one's with a big T on the chest. Oh my lord. Who thought that looked good? Leave well enough alone. Both teams have great uniforms as it is.

illinibk
05-01-2004, 10:19 PM
I think alternate jerseys in general are stupid, it has really gotten out of hand.

While I hope that doesn't happen, what I fear is that some team will have dark vest as yest another alternate, for the days when the regular darks are a little too much, but the light vests aren't flashy enough

Huisj
05-01-2004, 11:04 PM
The blue jays new jerseys and logo are awful. every time i see them i think they are tampa bay, and it confuses the heck out of me. the writing across the chest and the logo are so similar to TB.

oharewx
05-01-2004, 11:31 PM
the worst black uniforms are the blackhawks. i still can't get over the fact they broke tradition.

pasquasroachclip
05-02-2004, 12:41 AM
The Jays black uniforms look like they were bought at a Frontier League garage sale

RKMeibalane
05-02-2004, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by pasquasroachclip
The Jays black uniforms look like they were bought at a Frontier League garage sale

I had the same thought. They should have stuck with their earlier uniforms.

kevingrt
05-02-2004, 11:06 AM
Didn't you guys love it when the Blue Jays changed there jerseys in between games. I thought that was so funny. Just wanted the cleaners to get their respected pay I guess

soxnut
05-02-2004, 11:15 AM
I was thinking the same thing about all the black jerseys. But I have been thinking about that subject ever since the Mets went to black jerseys. It is stupid.

Also I don't like that the Rockies and the Marlins have almost the same exact uniform style as the Sox. I think MLB should make them change to something more original. They could at least change the styling of the letters and numbers. :(:

PaleHoseGeorge
05-02-2004, 12:25 PM
I believe the proliferation of black jerseys is caused by the same lack of marketing savvy that plagues MLB marketing elsewhere. Every team is out for themselves. They stubbornly refuse to work cooperatively on hardly anything.

All the stupid new black jerseys is just the most recent example. How about all the teams who wear blue, white, and red uniforms? It isn't too obvious that they all want to wrap themselves in the flag because nothing sells like AMERICA'S pastime, is it? Thus every team on TV looks nearly the same. The Lovable Losers are a great example of this wearing their baby bear pajamas.

Or how about all the teams that use the exact same design elements in their logo: a diamond, homeplate, crossed bats or ball, and a script name (usually with underline flourish). Gag, wretch. The retro "salute" to tradition is completely out of control when everybody does it in the exact same manner.

Thank God the Sox have largely kept themselves within the simplicity of the black & white color scheme. It's 100 percent unique, the only confusion coming from other teams (notably Detroit and the Yankees) whose primary color is navy blue that might be confused with black from a distance.

The Sox have great uniforms because they are unique, traditional, and fashionable all at the same time. Now if they would stop looking like a softball team from wearing the black shirts too often, everything would be perfect.

:cool:

soxnut
05-02-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
The Sox have great uniforms because they are unique, traditional, and fashionable all at the same time.
:cool:

But they aren't that unique. Just look at the backs of the Sox, Rockies and Marlins, besides the name, how unique are they really?

PaleHoseGeorge
05-02-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
But they aren't that unique. Just look at the backs of the Sox, Rockies and Marlins, besides the name, how unique are they really?

Well sure, now that everyone has copied *us* they don't seem so unique, do they? Whose problem is that? Not the Sox.

:?:

soxnut
05-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Well sure, now that everyone has copied *us* they don't seem so unique, do they? Whose problem is that? Not the Sox.

:?:

No I know it's not the Sox, and I'm not trying to argue with you. I just hate the fact that we are being copied---and therefore it doesn't make the Sox uniforms as unique as they once were. :whiner: :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
05-02-2004, 01:39 PM
No I know it's not the Sox, and I'm not trying to argue with you. I just hate the fact that we are being copied---and therefore it doesn't make the Sox uniforms as unique as they once were. :whiner: :D:

I hate it, too. MLB is run by morons, but you already knew that.

:smile:

iwannago
05-02-2004, 01:46 PM

Who cares about uniform uniqueness. If you want unique remember what Mrs. Veeck did!!!

Hangar18
05-02-2004, 07:45 PM
I COMPLETELY AGREE. I turned on the game yesterday, and kept getting confused as to WHO was playing, The White Sox vs The White Sox, or the SOX vs the Black Jays. Toronto had me with the Logo, but lost me with the rest of their Uniform. Its about as bad as can get, and unfortuneately for them, theyve COMPLETELY LOST THEIR IDENTITY. I was at Thursdays game, and there was this Blue Jays fan behind me, cheering loudly for them. And I kept telling him "who are you cheering for, those arent the blue jays" "Hey, your Charcoal and Black Jays are going down". He did admit the color scheme was very confusing now and got my point. Everyone wearing BLACK jerseys now is just too much. The WORST examples have to be the Marlins, Rockies and ughhhhhhhhhhh the METS. That team has no Idea who they are. PHG is right, this Black Jersey/Alternate jersey thing is simply a lack of Creativity Idea on MLB's part.

chidonez
05-02-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I COMPLETELY AGREE. I turned on the game yesterday, and kept getting confused as to WHO was playing, The White Sox vs The White Sox, or the SOX vs the Black Jays. Toronto had me with the Logo, but lost me with the rest of their Uniform. Its about as bad as can get, and unfortuneately for them, theyve COMPLETELY LOST THEIR IDENTITY. I was at Thursdays game, and there was this Blue Jays fan behind me, cheering loudly for them. And I kept telling him "who are you cheering for, those arent the blue jays" "Hey, your Charcoal and Black Jays are going down". He did admit the color scheme was very confusing now and got my point. Everyone wearing BLACK jerseys now is just too much. The WORST examples have to be the Marlins, Rockies and ughhhhhhhhhhh the METS. That team has no Idea who they are. PHG is right, this Black Jersey/Alternate jersey thing is simply a lack of Creativity Idea on MLB's part.

What do you suggest? Neon? One team wears lights, the other darks. After that, who cares? I've always liked the white & black uni's and I like the logo. They have a classic look to them, like the Yankees or Red Sox. The only thing that bothers me is when teams change their uniforms every few years, perhaps as a way to sell more merch? I don't think the Yanks, Cubs, Red Sox have any trouble selling stuff.

On the other hand, I've always loved the throwback uniform days.

chidonez
05-02-2004, 07:55 PM
BTW, I always liked the 70/80's era Pirate uniforms with the black/yellow striped hat. Talk about unique.