PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Think Farmer and Rooney Are Funny?

Ken
05-01-2004, 08:36 PM
Fact - John Rooney is an outstanding play-by-play man.
Fact - Ed Farmer is a very knowledgeable baseball man.
Fact - The two of them together are idiots!

Does anyone really find their inside jokes and play on words, funny?? It's like one bad, ongoing Saturday Night Live skit! As entertaining as the Sox are this year, it is to the point where I almost can't stand listening to the radio broadcast.

John Rooney used to be a well-respected baseball play-by-play announcer, but what has happened to him in the past few seasons? He and Farmer spend the vast majority of their broadcast with stupid comments that insult the radio listeners. I want the classy John Rooney back on the air!

Rooney and Farmer seem to really like each other and they must feel they have this great chemistry. But, ESPN should really ask Sox listeners if we enjoy this broadcast team and their style of humor.

Is it just me??

Brian26
05-01-2004, 08:40 PM
I enjoy John and Ed immensely. I think they are some of the best radio announcers in the game today. Yes, I do find them to be humorous, too.

HomeFish
05-01-2004, 08:40 PM
I find them hilarious.

mjmcend
05-01-2004, 08:49 PM
As I am away at school (at least for another week) with no cable or satellite, all I can do is listen to the games on mlb audio, and I am highly entertained by Farmer and Rooney. I think they do a wonderful job of mixing covering the game and keeping you entertained with all their stories, even the seemingly out of left field ones.

The only thing I cannot stand is after every homerun, double play, when the white sox win by five or more, ect. someone is giving $25 or $100 to some charity. Not that I am opposed to giving to charity, it is just that I am sick of having it mentioned 15 times a game. However, I am sure that this is not the fault of Rooney and Farmer.

WSox8404
05-01-2004, 09:13 PM
I love listening to them. I think they are great. They are as great as Chip Carrey sucks.

duke of dorwood
05-01-2004, 09:49 PM
They are interesting, informative and a pleasure to listen to

mike squires
05-01-2004, 10:13 PM
I agree. The only thing I don't like are their home run calls. I shudder everytime I hear, "It's a gonner." And Ed just has no drama on his. Otherwise, I like them a lot.

Whitesox029
05-01-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by mjmcend
The only thing I cannot stand is after every homerun, double play, when the white sox win by five or more, ect. someone is giving $25 or $100 to some charity. Not that I am opposed to giving to charity, it is just that I am sick of having it mentioned 15 times a game. However, I am sure that this is not the fault of Rooney and Farmer.
That happens on TV too. Every time the Sox hit a homer some family donates $100. I'm not sure I'd say that's quite as annoying as...wait there isn't anything annoying about any of the Sox' four broadcasters.....

inta
05-01-2004, 10:19 PM
i love rooney and farmer. they're perfect lazy summer night baseball announcers in my opinion.

owensmouth
05-01-2004, 11:20 PM
Is it just me??

Yup, it's just you

Huisj
05-02-2004, 12:08 AM
i like 'em too. i really actually like ed farmers' dead pan style when it contrasts with the way rooney gets so excited so quicky sometimes.

I miss wayne hagen though. he was cool. "kiss it goodbye"

JohnJeter
05-02-2004, 12:16 AM
Jays' Phelps was up in a situation Thursday night, and Rooney said "his mission, if he chooses to accept it. . ."- too funny.

Please tell me someone gets that. . .

Viva Magglio
05-02-2004, 12:45 AM
I think Rooney is a solid play-by-play announcer who is one of the best in the game.

As for Farmer, I think he is good as well but I do find him annoying at times. He tends to get too preachy at times. I am not taking a stand about U.S. troops in Iraq, but does Ed have to remind us to support them every game? Or do we need Farmio to remind us about Notre Dame during each broadcast?

Viva Magglio
05-02-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by JohnJeter
Jays' Phelps was up in a situation Thursday night, and Rooney said "his mission, if he chooses to accept it. . ."- too funny.

Please tell me someone gets that. . .

Mission: Impossible.

mjmcend
05-02-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Viva Magglio
I think Rooney is a solid play-by-play announcer who is one of the best in the game.

As for Farmer, I think he is good as well but I do find him annoying at times. He tends to get too preachy at times. I am not taking a stand about U.S. troops in Iraq, but does Ed have to remind us to support them every game? Or do we need Farmio to remind us about Notre Dame during each broadcast?

I go to ND so it doesn't bother me at all....

chisox06
05-02-2004, 01:20 AM
I love those guys, they do a great job. They'll get me to chuckle every now and then but Im not listening to the game to laugh, Im listening to follow the game, and from that standpoint they do a great job.

WLL1855
05-02-2004, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Viva Magglio

Couldn't agree more.

nasox
05-02-2004, 03:04 AM
I don't care if they gets preachy, or if they are egotistical and controlling.....they call a really good game and they personally make me laugh and smile all the time. What more do you need?

CanOfCorn
05-02-2004, 04:54 AM
Almost every announcer has flaws, but I'd say they're a pleasure to listen to.

They give a lot of information, they side with the Sox, but aren't afraid to criticize, and they never seem to act out of their own style. There's some great deadpan going on as well.

I go to the U. of Missouri, and I listen to a lot of Cardinals games with Mike Shannon, who slurs words and likes to leave people guessing. I'd take Farmer and Rooney with the aforementioned gripes over anybody else I've heard on radio any day.

DrummerGeorgefan
05-02-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by CanOfCorn

I go to the U. of Missouri, and I listen to a lot of Cardinals games with Mike Shannon, who slurs words and likes to leave people guessing. I'd take Farmer and Rooney with the aforementioned gripes over anybody else I've heard on radio any day.

Rooney and Farmer are tolerable, and since I've got MLB radio, I have listened to them alot. They grow on you. Farmer especially. Is it me, or is he drunk sometimes?

With respects to Mike Shannon, he may slur words, but I listened to the Cubs Cards game on Friday, and found him hilarious. His hokey sayings are a throwback to older announcers. Rooney needs to take some lessons.

TornLabrum
05-02-2004, 08:54 AM
Of the two I like Farmio the least, which is not to say I dislike him. I really like his analysis. It's his monotone delivery that needs work.

johnny bench
05-02-2004, 10:53 AM
My mother loves it when they talk about when they are going to Mass when they are on the road.

Farmer knowledgeable? Yes.
Funny? Never.
Annoying? Yes, especially when we get to hear about Mike Schmidt. There is no HoFer less interesting than him.

Wsoxmike59
05-02-2004, 11:08 AM
I think John Rooney is an excellent play by play guy. Farmer has improved into one of the most solid second men in the booth and compliments Rooney just fine.

They try to make the game more enjoyable with their banter back and forth. The word play and corny puns have kinda grown on me. I used to groan a lot and roll my eyes at some of the things they'd say, but now it's sort of their signature during the broadcasts.

I love listening to the post game shows on radio with Dave Wills too. I wish he'd get to fill in a bit more on radio doing the games. I wouldn't mind seeing Rooney move over to the TV side from time to time.

SoxBoy14
05-02-2004, 12:22 PM
I think Farmer has the most boring voice I've ever heard. HE never seems to be into the games at all. Maggs hit a double to score somebody and I couldn't tell if he got a double or got into a double play from the tone of farmer's voice.

WLL1855
05-02-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by SoxBoy14
I think Farmer has the most boring voice I've ever heard. HE never seems to be into the games at all. Maggs hit a double to score somebody and I couldn't tell if he got a double or got into a double play from the tone of farmer's voice.

I'll agree with you that Farmer is too much the "easy going California boy" on broadcasts. It sounds like he should be hosting easy listening programming, not a baseball game. Rooney needs to slip him some espresso or something before the game starts.

NonetheLoaiza
05-02-2004, 01:17 PM
I love Farmer and Rooney alot. Personally, I enjoy Rooney's home run call, while Farmer's is pretty...well he doesnt have one. I think that if you listen to some of the other announcers on mlb audio, you start to realize that Rooney and Farmer are damn good. I think that they are hilarious too.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-02-2004, 01:53 PM
:farmer
Why you gots to be doggin me

awesomefan
05-02-2004, 03:08 PM
I've always liked listening to Farmer & Rooney. I like Ed's style....pretty cool.

One year I met Ed Farmer at the Sox Fest & visted with him in the lobby of the Hyatt Regency. Ed was very nice & relaxed & seemed to enjoy chattin' with a Sox fan.

Before we left, I got my picture taken with Ed & it's one of my favorite White Sox pictures.

stockonline2
05-02-2004, 05:50 PM
I love listening in on MVP 1000. I think Ed and Jon do a great job keeping the game exciting and providing good information. I think they both know their stuff and can be hilarious. Seriously listen to a game on 1000 and then flip to 720. Night and Day.

SoxFan76
05-02-2004, 06:03 PM
Looks like you are in the minority on this one. I really love listening to Rooney and Farmer. What makes them great is their chemistry together. Seperately, I don't think they would be very good. Where as Hawk and DJ have very little chemistry, but individually they would probably be better. I know DJ is pretty good on FOX, and Hawk is good no matter what. But when DJ is with Hawk, it just sounds so unnatural.

Just enjoy what you have, we are very lucky as Sox fans to have the announcers that we do. Ever listen to the other broadcasters during highlights on Sportscenter? They aren't even in the same ballpark (no pun intended). Same for the northsiders. Chicago might have the best and worst broadcasting tandems in the majors.

Frankfan4life
05-02-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by SoxBoy14
I'm with you on that one. In fact, sometimes they both seem to get more excited when the opposing team does something exciting than when the Sox do. But, mostly they sound boring to me.