PDA

View Full Version : Guillen Assessment

NonetheLoaiza
05-01-2004, 03:00 PM
What do you think has been Ozzie's strength as a manager with this team, and what do you think his weakness has been?

I think team chemistry and his lineup day in day out is his strength. He doesn't make Jerry type tinkerings, but seems to always put the best team out there. People like Gload and Perez are getting enough at bats to be warm off the bench, but not too few so they are completely cold going into a game. I think Ozzie's weakness, however, has been his handling of the bullpen. There have been times where he put the wrong guy in and too many guys in. This is not to say his handling of it is terrible, but it could be improved.

I also wonder if this team would be any different, strategy wise, if Joe Nossek was still on the bench.

Any thoughts?

soltrain21
05-01-2004, 03:12 PM
I kind of disagree with you about the bullpen. I think he has done a very good job with it, his guys have just let him down on a few occasions.

Ozzie has been GREAT, esspically since he has NO head coaching experience whatsoever. He could be a mainstay here in Chicago for a while, I would really like that.

I don't think he has the exact team he wants though, but that could slowly be evolving in the next couple years with Reed and Uribe and HOPEFULLY a decent 2b.

DrummerGeorgefan
05-01-2004, 04:10 PM
ozzies strength has definitely been the attitude he has brought to the team. He realizes, as we all did as kids, that baseball is fun. I've never seen a manager so animated when he walks out to the mound to talk to his players. And he doesnt talk in a dictating way. He goes out there as your buddy.

johnny_mostil
05-01-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by DrummerGeorgefan
ozzies strength has definitely been the attitude he has brought to the team. He realizes, as we all did as kids, that baseball is fun. I've never seen a manager so animated when he walks out to the mound to talk to his players. And he doesnt talk in a dictating way. He goes out there as your buddy.

We'll see how some players like their buddy telling them they are being released/sent-down/traded.