PDA

View Full Version : The Great Mystery

crector
05-01-2004, 04:33 AM
Why does Danny Wright get to be 5th starter over either Neal Cotts or Felix Diaz? Cotts or Diaz each has a decent chance to contribute to the team's success while Wright has a good chance to embarrass himself.

owensmouth
05-01-2004, 10:40 AM
He gets the 5th start because he is the 5th starter.

Danny should have won, or at least not lost the last game. He was doing well until Konerko fielded a ball behind 1st base and threw away the game. The official scorer for some unknown reason called the play "a hit and an error". No announcer agreed with him, it should have been an out, therefore an error.

Wright pitched better in his last outing than either Buehrle or Garland.

Keep the level of competition in mind while judging Diaz. We've seen minor league superstars who can't cut it in the bigs far too often.

Cotts is doing fine so far. We probably need him more where is, putting out fires and helping us limp thru the sixth and seventh innings with this crew of starters.

DrummerGeorgefan
05-01-2004, 10:50 AM
Cotts should be used in extended relief for a while. He needs to face hitters a few times and get used to them before we throw him back into the fire again.

Danny Wright is a stop gap measure at best until Cotts sees big league hitters enough times.

DrCrawdad
05-01-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by owensmouth

Danny should have won, or at least not lost the last game. He was doing well until Konerko fielded a ball behind 1st base and threw away the game. The official scorer for some unknown reason called the play "a hit and an error". No announcer agreed with him, it should have been an out, therefore an error.

Wright pitched better in his last outing than either Buehrle or Garland.

Keep the level of competition in mind while judging Diaz. We've seen minor league superstars who can't cut it in the bigs far too often.

Cotts is doing fine so far. We probably need him more where is, putting out fires and helping us limp thru the sixth and seventh innings with this crew of starters.

Good points, even though I'm a Felix Diaz fan. IMO the Sox leash on Wright is going to be fairly short. If Wright gets whooped in his next 2-5 starts then Wright gone!

SoxxoS
05-01-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Good points, even though I'm a Felix Diaz fan. IMO the Sox leash on Wright is going to be fairly short. If Wright gets whooped in his next 2-5 starts then Wright gone!

They better error on the side of "two" starts. If he gets rocked (4 or more ER in 5 or less innings) then he has to go.

beckett21
05-01-2004, 11:35 AM
Wright has the most MLB experience of the bunch. Cotts looks much better this year, but looked AWFUL last season. He is comfortable in his current role and should stay there awhile longer.

I get the feeling that most people want Wright to fail just to be rid of him. Even if he pitches well, seems to me most people here will go out of their way to find flaw with his performance.

Can't wait to see who the next whipping boy will be once Dan is gone. Because short of acquiring a fifth starter from another team, personally I doubt that we have anyone who will give us anything more than Wright is capable of giving us right now. Long term we may have better options, but RIGHT NOW Wright is unfortunately the best we have.

I expect all the Wright-haters to bash me with full force...be my guest. I'm not crazy about him either, but enough with the hating already. Unproven rookies are not the solution.

SoxxoS
05-01-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by beckett21
I expect all the Wright-haters to bash me with full force...be my guest. I'm not crazy about him either, but enough with the hating already. Unproven rookies are not the solution.

You never know until you try, beckett. Florida decided to start a rookie from AA named Dontrelle Willis, and he turned out OK. All good pitchers are rookies at some time, and need to get their chance. As the games go on, it's getting more and more obvious that Danny Wright can't cut it.

He is becoming the "worse" of two evils.

OEO Magglio
05-01-2004, 12:07 PM
Wright has the most MLB experience of the bunch. Cotts looks much better this year, but looked AWFUL last season. He is comfortable in his current role and should stay there awhile longer.

I get the feeling that most people want Wright to fail just to be rid of him. Even if he pitches well, seems to me most people here will go out of their way to find flaw with his performance.

Can't wait to see who the next whipping boy will be once Dan is gone. Because short of acquiring a fifth starter from another team, personally I doubt that we have anyone who will give us anything more than Wright is capable of giving us right now. Long term we may have better options, but RIGHT NOW Wright is unfortunately the best we have.

I disagree with Wright being the best option, I really believe cotts is ready right now, but on the other hand if we gave danny his 3rd start, you have to leave him in the rotation longer and give him a couple more starts and see what he can do.

beckett21
05-01-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
You never know until you try, beckett. Florida decided to start a rookie from AA named Dontrelle Willis, and he turned out OK. All good pitchers are rookies at some time, and need to get their chance. As the games go on, it's getting more and more obvious that Danny Wright can't cut it.

He is becoming the "worse" of two evils.

I agree that you never truly know; point given.

BUT, those examples are few and far between. Generally it takes guys awhile to figure out how to pitch in the majors. Sure there are exceptions to every rule.

I think that as a 5th starter, Wright can do what we need him to do. We can only work with what we have. If you want to know my honest opinion, we actually need a true #1 and everyone else moves down a spot. Garland can be #4, because what has he actually proven?? And Schoeneweis?? So my answer would be not get a #5 guy in here, but a #1. Due to economics and the powers that be that will never happen.

Cotts or Diaz is not the immediate answer IMHO. In two years maybe, but would you want to rely on those guys in a pennant race? I wouldn't. Not that I would rely on Wright either. I am not convinced that this rotation has 3 stoppers. The two we supposedly have are suspect so far, though I do believe Loaiza and Buehrle can get the job done.

Randar68
05-01-2004, 09:04 PM
Cotts or Diaz is not the immediate answer IMHO. In two years maybe, but would you want to rely on those guys in a pennant race?

Frankly Beckett, there are probably 4 or 5 pitchers I'd rather see take his turn right now:
Cotts
Diaz
Rauch
Adtkins
Munoz

It can't be much worse. We're not even getting an average of 5 IP out of Danny, his velocity is gone, and his control has never been good. IMO, he's hurt or just so messed up mechanically that he's useless at this level right now.

Using the bullpen this much really hurts, let alone all in one day. What do we do tomorrow when Garland is getting pulled after 6 (hopefully longer) tomorrow.

batmanZoSo
05-01-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

I like the thought of 5 more automatic losses. Wright needs to go to the bullpen in mop-up until he proves he belongs on the team, let alone starting.

Daver
05-01-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Frankly Beckett, there are probably 4 or 5 pitchers I'd rather see take his turn right now:
Cotts
Diaz
Rauch
Adtkins
Munoz

It can't be much worse. We're not even getting an average of 5 IP out of Danny, his velocity is gone, and his control has never been good. IMO, he's hurt or just so messed up mechanically that he's useless at this level right now.

Using the bullpen this much really hurts, let alone all in one day. What do we do tomorrow when Garland is getting pulled after 6 (hopefully longer) tomorrow.

I'd rather see Pacheco over Munoz.

Win1ForMe
05-01-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth

While you could argue that Wright was a victim of bad luck his previous time out, there's no explanation to the 0-for-18 (soon to be 0-for-19) losing streak which the Sox have in his starts. As far as I'm concerned, that's all I need to see. I'm amazed that people want to give him another start, much less 2 to 5 more. There's no absolutely no reason to think we would win those games.

Long term we may have better options, but RIGHT NOW Wright is unfortunately the best we have.

How do you figure? We've lost his previous 19 games. How in the world can it get any worse? I mean really, at least TRY something different.

Fungo
05-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Cotts
Diaz
Rauch
Adtkins
Munoz

I'd agree with all but Adkins. He's spent after about 40 pitches. He needs to be more stretched out than he currently is. Right now, Adkins can't cut it as a starter.

I'm one of Wrights biggest fans, but my patience has run thin with him. The dude constantly works from behind and that just doesn't work in the bigs. Cotts or Rauch would get my vote. Cotts has beeen solid and its about time to make a decision on Rauch.

Win1ForMe
05-01-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
While you could argue that Wright was a victim of bad luck his previous time out, there's no explanation to the 0-for-18 (soon to be 0-for-19) losing streak which the Sox have in his starts. As far as I'm concerned, that's all I need to see. I'm amazed that people want to give him another start, much less 2 to 5 more. There's no absolutely no reason to think we would win those games.

Thankfully, the Sox seem to agree with me.

EDIT: Nevermind!! :angry:

beckett21
05-01-2004, 11:29 PM

Crap. Did I really write this?

Pass the salt please... :(: