PDA

View Full Version : Interesting stuff from tonight...

hsnterprize
04-30-2004, 09:32 PM
I was at the ballpark for the first time this season, and even though the game itself was rained out, I was able to use whatever little clout I had to talk with some people...I think many of you would've like what I said.

Once I checked in, I noticed there are 2 "scrapbooks" on end tables inside the main media foyer behind home plate. Those scrapbooks are binded letters from fans thanking the team for supporting a particular event (i.e., field trip, player visit to a school, etc.). I found many of the letters touching, such as one where a girl in a group trip got sick, and someone from the first aid staff gave her 1st class care and treatment, or a letter from Lt. Governor Pat Quinn (a "lifelong Sox fan") thanking Minnie Minoso for speaking at an event. There were plenty of "thank you's" from kids, letters from out-of-town visitors, and letters from people representing organizations whom the Sox helped with either player visits or tickets. In short, if any of you would've seen these letter, I think your heart would melt, and any perception the Sox weren't reaching out to people would melt as well.

I then talked with an associate with the team working at the security desk and told her with Brooks Boyer, the team's new Marketing Director, there should be an "aggressive" effort by him and his staff to promote the Sox and draw the fans in. Let's face it...we here at WSI are sick and tired of going to other cities, and people there automatically assuming every Chicagoan is a Cubs fan. How many people have posted stories about such a misperception? Anyway, I gave her other ideas, and I'm sure she liked them. Long story short...I told here that outside of a consistently winning team, it'll take lots of promotion about the Sox and all-things-Sox to draw the "casual fan" to U.S. Cellular Field. And the Sox will have to take it to the Cubs' marketing machine and debunk the many myths about White Sox baseball vs. Cubs baseball. Like it or not, a big reason why there's so much negativity towards the Sox is that the Cubs have all the positivity, perceived or real.

Once I got on the field, I saw Christine O'Reilly, the team's community relations director. I had the same kind of conversation with her, and she really admired my passion for the Sox. She told me that I should write Mr. Boyer and tell him my ideas...and I do have a few of them...and I replied that I know people who would like to do the same. And that's where YOU come in...

This is our big chance as fans to have legitimate input as to how our team gets promoted and its image improved. Brooks has only been with the Sox for 4 days as of this post. He doesn't have established e-mail with the team, so until he gets an address, the best thing to do is snail-mail him. Here's his address...

Brooks Boyer, V.P. of Marketing
c/o Chicago White Sox
333 West 35th Street
Chicago, Illinois 60616

I'd say in your letter, let him know how much of a Sox fan you are, and tell him that you're tired of all the negative perceptions about our team that have gone unchecked for far too long. Brooks said on the radio tonight that he'll listen to the fans...he took suggestions from fans on Wilsy's broadcast from the Bullpen Sports Bar while it was raining, and he said he's concentrating on celebrating the uniqueness of south side baseball. He says he's not going to try to imitate the Cubs..."let them do what they're gonna do. We're gonna do what we wanna do here." Amen to that, brother.

Here's an inside scoop...there's going to be some kind of announcements from Brooks and his staff coming up soon, so when you hear something buzzing about "new promotions" happening with the Sox, keep your eyes and ears open. Staffers at the Cell told me Brooks is working on marketing this team heavily, but he's not talking about specifics until things are finalized. I think the first set of announcements is set for mid to late May...but don't quote me on that.

The ballpark looks great in person. I went to the UD, and saw the renovations for myself. They are OUT-DOGGONE-STANDING!!! A breeze can still blow in the upper deck concourse area, but it's not as cold/windy as in years past. The brick facing to the UD concourse is a good sight as well as the murals of past and present Sox players on the walls.

Send your letters to Brooks, and maybe, he'll be able to do his part in changing the perception of Sox baseball. The team is doing its part to improve itself, from ballpark renovations to an exciting team on the field. Now, let's do our part as fans to tell the team what we want. There's someone there who says he'll listen to us. Let's give him something good to listen to.

batmanZoSo
04-30-2004, 09:50 PM
I heard Dave Wills say that 41% of all Chicago baseball atendees went to Sox games. So, this town is not as much of a cub town as people let on. It's more of a bandwagon town.

We were only outdone 59-41 last year and we are currently in a stale period with our franchise, not making the playoffs or anything, while the cubs are in the greatest attendance boom they've ever had.

bafiarocks03
04-30-2004, 09:52 PM
you type to much!

MRKARNO
04-30-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
I heard Dave Wills say that 41% of all Chicago baseball atendees went to Sox games. So, this town is not as much of a cub town as people let on. It's more of a bandwagon town.

We were only outdone 59-41 last year and we are currently in a stale period with our franchise, not making the playoffs or anything, while the cubs are in the greatest attendance boom they've ever had.

By that does he mean that for every 41 individual people who went to at least one White Sox game last year, that 59 people went to at least one cubs game?

SoxFan76
04-30-2004, 10:04 PM
You hit it on the head: Don't try to imitate the Cubs. That is the biggest issue. Cub fan media personalities try to make suggestions for the Sox PR by making them more like the Cubs. I for one would not like that. I want the Sox to be like the Chicago White Sox. The team that ruled this town for so many years. The mayor needs to step in. If he is really such a Sox fan, he should of stepped in a while ago. He needs to spread the word.

hsnterprize
04-30-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by bafiarocks03
you type to much! Sorry...just like to write. Had a lot on my mind.

MRKARNO
04-30-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
Sorry...just like to write. Had a lot on my mind.

I appreciated it a lot. It really provided a good internal view on the White Sox and whats coming in the near future

soxnut
04-30-2004, 10:15 PM
Sorry...just like to write. Had a lot on my mind.

I'm glad you write alot. It shows your passion as a Sox fan and a writer.

Thanks for letting us know how to contact Mr. Boyer. I have already started a list since the first day, he started.

I have been in that lobby area before and have seen those binders with all of the letters. I was surprised to see how many postive letters there are about the White Sox. You wouldn't think that was the case with this organization with the way people talk about it sometimes.

hsnterprize
04-30-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I appreciated it a lot. It really provided a good internal view on the White Sox and whats coming in the near future Thanks...that's what I was trying to do...paint a picture and describe it to folks so they could understand what I saw and how I saw it.

Here's something else with those "letters from Sox fans" I forgot to say earlier. A few of the letters I read were from officials with military units who thanked the Sox for providing tickets for soldiers. One unit from Indiana in particular used the tix to take the group to a game so they can "relax" and get away from the stress of an upcoming deployment. That really touched me since I was in the military for 10 years.

I remember telling that front-desk clerk Boyer should market stuff like that to help erase the negative notions about the Sox.

batmanZoSo
04-30-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
By that does he mean that for every 41 individual people who went to at least one White Sox game last year, that 59 people went to at least one cubs game?

I don't know, maybe. I'm not really following that.

He said that of all the people who went to baseball games in Chicago last year, 41% went to the Cell.

DrummerGeorgefan
04-30-2004, 10:37 PM
I am definitely going to send my idea about the high school/college ticket discount. Its a winner.

TornLabrum
04-30-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
I don't know, maybe. I'm not really following that.

He said that of all the people who went to baseball games in Chicago last year, 41% went to the Cell.

I don't recall the exact Cubs attendance last year, but wasn't something like 2.8 or 2.9 million. The Sox were over 1.9 million. That's slightly under a 3:2 ratio.

gosox41
04-30-2004, 10:48 PM
Thanks...that's what I was trying to do...paint a picture and describe it to folks so they could understand what I saw and how I saw it.

Here's something else with those "letters from Sox fans" I forgot to say earlier. A few of the letters I read were from officials with military units who thanked the Sox for providing tickets for soldiers. One unit from Indiana in particular used the tix to take the group to a game so they can "relax" and get away from the stress of an upcoming deployment. That really touched me since I was in the military for 10 years.

I remember telling that front-desk clerk Boyer should market stuff like that to help erase the negative notions about the Sox.

One thing a lot of people fail to see is the amount of charitable work JR does through his organizations. Of course this may be because he doesn't look to advertise it just to milk it. And don't get me started on moral obligations that some thinks he owes us fortunate fans.

Bob

cheeses_h_rice
04-30-2004, 10:49 PM
I heard a bit of Brooks being interviewed on AM1000 by Wills, and I gotta say, I think this guy *gets* it. I look forward to seeing what he's got in mind.

MRKARNO
04-30-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I don't recall the exact Cubs attendance last year, but wasn't something like 2.8 or 2.9 million. The Sox were over 1.9 million. That's slightly under a 3:2 ratio.

I think what that stat refers to is that the sox sold tickets to 41% of the baseball going public, whether once or 81 times and the cubs the other 59%.

batmanZoSo
04-30-2004, 11:17 PM
If the Cubs drew 2.8 and the Sox drew 1.9, that's a total of 4.7 million. 1.8 million is roughly 40% of 4.7 million.

Frankfan4life
05-01-2004, 12:11 AM
Thanks hsnterprize for the long-winded yet informative post. I will certainly write Boyer with the suggestions I gave the Sox before. I just hope he listens to the fans. I also hope he creates some new and refreshing marketing that will draw in more blacks and Hispanics.

nasox
05-01-2004, 01:27 AM
is the new director of marketing a white sox fan? I mean, he is now that he works for the team, but before he was employed by JR, was he a white sox fan?

batmanZoSo
05-01-2004, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by nasox
is the new director of marketing a white sox fan? I mean, he is now that he works for the team, but before he was employed by JR, was he a white sox fan?

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/reinsy.jpg

"That's classified."

Frankfan4life
05-01-2004, 01:49 AM
I just hope he's not one of JR's relatives.

hsnterprize
05-01-2004, 07:59 AM
is the new director of marketing a white sox fan? I mean, he is now that he works for the team, but before he was employed by JR, was he a white sox fan? From how he sounded on the radio last night, he may be on the Sox payroll, but he's a fan. He kept saying things like "our team", and "our Sox" and other words to personalize the team to him and the fans.

hose
05-01-2004, 08:07 AM

Brooks Boyer grew up in Michigan as a Tiger fan.
He was the captain of Notre Dame's basketball team and has worked his way up through the Bulls organization.

voodoochile
05-01-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by hose
Brooks Boyer grew up in Michigan as a Tiger fan.
He was the captain of Notre Dame's basketball team and has worked his way up through the Bulls organization.

So there's a 50/50 chance there will be a blimp with a Sox logo flying around the stadium. Maybe WSI can purchase ad space on the blimp - www.flyingsock.com.