PDA

View Full Version : Brandon McCarthy....gas he's gone

hose
04-30-2004, 06:49 PM
The 6'7 180 pound soon to be 21 year old right handed pitcher for Kannapolis is 1-0 with a 0.00 era and 6 k's in 6 innings of work this year.

McCarthy has led the league in k's and ip 2002 and 2003 while at Phoenix and Great Falls .

I've read McCarthy's stats in the Sox media guide but I would like to know if McCarthy is a power pitcher that can bring the heat or is he a finesse pitcher that relies more on location.

Any comments on Brandon or any other young arms down on the farm?

MRKARNO
04-30-2004, 06:55 PM
I was scared that he had arm trouble or was traded by the title of the thread.

I dont know a ton about him except that his K/9 and K/BB rates are just ridiculous and they were last year so there is no reason to believe this is a fluke.

And actually your stats are off:
2-2 W-L
3.42 ERA
23.2 IP
29 K
7 BB
1.06 WHIP

His last start he had 3 walks to 4 K's which hurt his K/BB ratio, but he still held the opposition to 1 run in 5 ip.

batmanZoSo
04-30-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

I dont know a ton about him except that his K/9 and K/BB rates are just ridiculous and they were last year so there is no reason to believe this is a fluke.

6'7" 180...let's see if we can get him to eat something.

DrCrawdad
04-30-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
6'7" 180...let's see if we can get him to eat something.

http://www.2walls.com/IMAGES/commentary_pics/ANTIPOP/goatee_wells.jpg
Forget Atkins, forget South Beach, put him on The David Wells Diet.

Daver
04-30-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

AKA the beer and pretzels diet........

:bandance:

batmanZoSo
04-30-2004, 07:33 PM
http://www.2walls.com/IMAGES/commentary_pics/ANTIPOP/goatee_wells.jpg

::making sign of the cross with index fingers::

AAAHhh my eyes are burning!

pearso66
04-30-2004, 08:18 PM

Thats funny, my dad swore by the beer diet a few years ago. but he doesn't look like Wells. Maybe cutting out the pretzels is key.

Randar68
04-30-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

And actually your stats are off:
2-2 W-L
3.42 ERA
23.2 IP
29 K
7 BB
1.06 WHIP

His last start he had 3 walks to 4 K's which hurt his K/BB ratio, but he still held the opposition to 1 run in 5 ip.

McCarthy only throws in the low 90's at best, usually in the 88-92 mph, but really knows how to pitch. Fastball, excellent curve, and a decent but developing change-up. Control is his deal. His fastball is relatively straight. If he is able to learn a cutter (already has good control) he could vault himself to a top 5 prospect for the Sox. His numbers don't lie, although it might be a tad more encouraging if he was able to miss a few more bats.

Down the road, McCarthy should be able to hold 200 pounds on his frame, which may help his velocity a little. He stands pretty tall during his delivery and if he learns to use his legs a little better, it could also add some velocity.

He was drafted in the 17th round out of Lamar CC in Colorado, and signed immediately by the Sox (not Draft 'n Follow)

Randar68
04-30-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Daver

"Ummmm, can I get a burger with that too?"

DrCrawdad
04-30-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

I'm going to send him this book...
http://www.vitaminwomen.com/product_images/304.jpg

Randar68
04-30-2004, 08:56 PM
I'm going to send him this book...
http://www.vitaminwomen.com/product_images/304.jpg

LOL. Where's JohnBasedowYoda when you need him?

hose
05-01-2004, 09:50 AM
McCarthy only throws in the low 90's at best, usually in the 88-92 mph, but really knows how to pitch. Fastball, excellent curve, and a decent but developing change-up. Control is his deal. His fastball is relatively straight. If he is able to learn a cutter (already has good control) he could vault himself to a top 5 prospect for the Sox. His numbers don't lie, although it might be a tad more encouraging if he was able to miss a few more bats.

Down the road, McCarthy should be able to hold 200 pounds on his frame, which may help his velocity a little. He stands pretty tall during his delivery and if he learns to use his legs a little better, it could also add some velocity.

He was drafted in the 17th round out of Lamar CC in Colorado, and signed immediately by the Sox (not Draft 'n Follow)

His numbers are very impressive and if he can fill out like you mention and add on to his fastball McCarthy might have a future on the South Side some day in the future.

Any word on Honel's arm?

IronFisk
05-01-2004, 11:10 AM

No doubt...I'm 185...at 5-11, and I don't think I'm all (that) fat.

Hey, is it me, or this Jon Garland's tall twin?

Rex Hudler
05-01-2004, 01:06 PM

That assessment is right on from everything I have heard. I think he needs to learn to be a little more wild, intenionally. Missing in off the plate on occasion should help him in that regard. The Sox have taken it slowly with him (two years in rookie ball) because of his frame. They want to make sure he can handle the workload and that his body will hold up. If he makes it through this year strong without tiring and has another great year, expect the pace at which they bring him up to increase somewhat.

TDog
05-01-2004, 01:21 PM

The low minors seem to have many hard-hard throwing pitchers who were impossible to hit in high school who average more than a strikeout and a walk per inning and have ERAs exceeding 5 or 6. It's nice to see a real pitcher once in a while, even if he doesn't throw 100 mph.