PDA

View Full Version : Reinsdorf on WTTW11

nlentz88
04-30-2004, 05:21 PM
This is just a heads up. Bob Sirott (devote Cubs fan) will spend a half hour interviewing Jerry Reinsdorf tonight at 7:30 on Channel 11 (WTTW Chicago) on The Friday Night Show. Also, just before The Friday Night Show, the Chicago Tonight: Week in Review panelists will be discussing, among many other things, the "the comeback White Sox" according to the show's website. The panelists usually don't get to talking about sports until the final segment before The Friday Night show. Check out the interview if you get a chance; it should be quite interesting!

Go Sox!

Randar68
04-30-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by nlentz88
This is just a heads up. Bob Sirott (devote Cubs fan) will spend a half hour interviewing Jerry Reinsdorf tonight at 7:30 on Channel 11 (WTTW Chicago) on The Friday Night Show. Also, just before The Friday Night Show, the Chicago Tonight: Week in Review panelists will be discussing, among many other things, the "the comeback White Sox" according to the show's website. The panelists usually don't get to talking about sports until the final segment before The Friday Night show. Check it out the interview if you get a chance; it should be quite interesting!

Go Sox!

Might be a good Rain Delay activity.

hose
04-30-2004, 05:24 PM
Chicago Tonight is one of the better shows on tv.

I'll be tuning in to see Jerry.

Win1ForMe
04-30-2004, 09:00 PM
Haha. Not sure how smart it was, but JR referred to Mariotti as a "piss-ant."

Gumshoe
04-30-2004, 09:01 PM
He's a calm character, it was a solid interview. I don't believe him, though, with all the crap he says. I love Sirrott, he is a really good interviewer (but a Cub fan?).

I was outraged however when he said that the Sox fans hate the Cubs, and the Cubs don't hate the Sox, they just hate Sox fans. I think that is bullcrap. Yes, perhaps too many Sox fans are worried about the ATTENTION the Cubs get, which is valid, but it's the unfair treatment that has led to any hatred, it's not really the Cubs themselves. Fair?

I mean, what do Sox fans have to be jealous about, Jerry? We have had many many more winning seasons than they have, even with you as owner. hehe.

I resented that. Otherwise, I like the interview. He called Moronotti a "piss ant" too; I chuckled.

Any thoughts?

PaleHoseGeorge
04-30-2004, 09:14 PM
Damn, I forgot to watch. It will be rebroadcast at 12 am tonight. I wonder if we've got a blank tape for the VCR somewhere around here....

soxnut
04-30-2004, 09:29 PM
I saw the intertview and enjoyed it. People can believe him or not. I'll give him more credit than most, but anyone in business is not going to tell you the whole truth. So, see what you want to see, but I like the guy.

He is right about Sox fans worrying too much about the Cubs. If the Cubs get more attention, they get more attention, oh well. As long as JR owns the Sox, they aren't moving out of town, so what is anyone worrying about? If you're a true Sox fan, love your team and forget about the rest. It's fun living in a city where you have one team to root for and another one to root against. There are more cities that don't have that opportunity than do.

Bob Sirott mentioned that JR should do more tv, I think that's a good idea.

hose
04-30-2004, 09:32 PM
When asked what he thought of Jay Marriotti, Jerry called him a piss ant

The PISS ANT
:moron

Lip Man 1
04-30-2004, 09:55 PM
Did good old Uncle Jerry discuss anything of substance besides bashing Sox fans for hating the Cubs (and with good reason...)?

Did he talk about why they can't draw, why his organization is so disliked, why they won't raise the payroll, why they can't seem to win anything worth a damn?

Just wondering...

Lip

hose
04-30-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Did good old Uncle Jerry discuss anything of substance besides bashing Sox fans for hating the Cubs (and with good reason...)?

Did he talk about why they can't draw, why his organization is so disliked, why they won't raise the payroll, why they can't seem to win anything worth a damn?

Just wondering...

Lip

Reinsy gave a real good interview and was very candid.

Daver
04-30-2004, 09:58 PM

Just wondering...

Lip

I missed the first showing,I'll tape the re-air for you.

E-mail me mailing instructions please.

:)

kermittheefrog
04-30-2004, 10:02 PM
Could someone please give a summary of the interview?

Lip Man 1
04-30-2004, 10:04 PM
Hose:

Then what did he say that was so candid. Can you provide some details?

Lip

joecrede
04-30-2004, 10:06 PM
No new ground was broken.

I don't think it will change anybody's opinion of the guy positively or negatively.

Randar68
04-30-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
No new ground was broken.

I don't think it will change anybody's opinion of the guy positively or negatively.

in Lip's case, nothing would, so I'm not sure why Lip is so interested unless he needs new negative "quotes of the day" for the next month...

soxnut
04-30-2004, 10:13 PM

Just wondering...

Lip

He said they do draw, they have had their top eight attendance figures in the new ballpark. He said people should not compare our attendance with the Cubs--it's similar to comparing someone who is 7' to someone 6'5 and calling the latter short. He also mentioned that most of the Sox fans are in the suburbs and it's more difficult for them to get to the park. But he also said that he knows all Sox fans are interested in, is winning, and they will come out if the team is doing well.

As for payroll, he said that he is not in baseball to make money, and he also has a responsibilty to the other investors to not lose money either. He wasn't asked why they haven't won anything...remember he is being interviewed by a Cubs fan, so, that's like the pot calling the kettle black. :smile:

Dadawg_77
04-30-2004, 10:57 PM
Forgot about till the end. Taping it tonight. If you want tape the 1:30 showing and let your tape run for another hour for Frontline.

gosox41
04-30-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by hose
When asked what he thought of Jay Marriotti, Jerry called him a piss ant

The PISS ANT
:moron

What's Jay's e-mail address at the Sun-TImes? I think it would be funny if we all sarcastically sent him an e-mail referring to him as a pissant and then reminding him to do his weekly Sox bashing ASAP.

Bob

nasox
05-01-2004, 12:35 AM
when is the replay showing?

Dadawg_77
05-01-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by nasox
when is the replay showing?

midnight is thje next, then 1:30

hose
05-01-2004, 09:36 AM
Hose:

Then what did he say that was so candid. Can you provide some details?

Lip

Well for one he mentioned that Jerry Krause would get to worked up about correcting the media on mis-qoutes.

Also that Jordan is and always will be what made the Bulls.

The best line was when asked about the perception of the Sox and Jerry used this example:

when you see somebody who is 6'5 they stand out as a very tall person, now have that 6'5 person stand next to a 7 footer and your perception changes.

Reinsy admitted that the Cubs are a phenomenon but still the Sox have recently had 10 of their best years in club history for attendance.

Bob Sirrot asked plenty of questions on correcting the Sox and Reinsy's image and that he should do more interviews.

Reinsy said that he believes fans go to see the players and not the owner and that he feels the GM should do the talking.

Sirrot also asked Jerry about the image of moving the club to Florida and Reinsy said that Jim Thompson told him that he never would get the votes for a new stadium without the threat of leaving.

Also when asked if his sons would ever take over for him Reinsy said he didn't think they would have any interest.

Reinsy also mentioned that it was a joke when he was listed as one of the most powerful men in sports in a magazine.

When asked about being a "hawk" during the strike Reinsy said that Selig was calling the shots and that he had a lot of respect for Marvin Miller because Marvin was smarter than the owners and knew when to get the deal done. Implying that if Miller was in charge of the PA things might have been different. Jerry mentioned that Fehr didn't handle the work stoppage well and that it cost the Sox because they had "his best" team he has had .

I give Jerry two thumbs up on the interview.

I'm sure PHG or someone else will critique the interview

Lip Man 1
05-01-2004, 11:55 AM
I see so the strike was all in the hands of Bud Selig? Sounds like 'revisionist' history to me.

“Several hard-line owners who favor an all out war with the union-similar to the one that resulted in the sixty-day midseason strike of 1981-have sided with Selig and Reinsdorf . Put Gene Autry of the Angels, Carl Pohland of the Twins and Doug Danforth of the Pirates in that group. ‘We have a small group of extreme owners who fantasize that they’re just one showdown (with the union) away from nirvana,’ said a member of baseball’s Executive Council. ‘They don’t seem to have much sense of baseball history.”–Thomas Boswell, columnist, Washington Post, July 8, 1992.

“The hawks picked up even more support with a Jerry Reinsdorf inspired procedural change. It would now take twenty one votes– 75 percent of the Lords– to approve settlement of a strike or lockout. The super majority rule vastly changed the dynamics from the old requirement of fifteen votes. It would take just eight votes to veto a proposed settlement. The hard liners easily commanded such numbers.” – From the book The Lords Of The Realm by John Helyar. Pg. 594.

“The players bridled, in turn, when David Glass (the Royals owner) began the second day’s meeting with a homily on how they should help baseball better compete for the entertainment dollar. Nor did the players’ mood brighten when Jerry Reinsdorf offered his version of ‘Give us a number!’ ‘Let’s do a deal,’ he said, ‘Just tell us the percentage you want.’ There was no response. Reinsdorf persisted: ‘What percentage do you want?’ ‘How much profit do you want?’ Don Fehr finally shot back. That was the end of the sessions and as it turned out, the end of the meetings.” – From the book The Lords Of The Realm by John Helyar. Pg. 599-600.

“Jerry Reinsdorf was not used to losing battles. The White Sox, which he almost lost to increasing debts a few years after putting together a group of investors for the team, had become the second most profitable team in baseball, and was successful on the field as well. Baseball, was without a commissioner, due largely to Reinsdorf’s manipulations, and the baseball union was naming him the power behind the management- labor struggle that had brought the sport to a standstill.”– Sam Smith. From the book Second Coming. Pg. 15.

“I think Jerry Reinsdorf greatly underestimated fan backlash to the strike. Reinsdorf must have realized the strike would turn some fans away from the game, but I don’t think he realized the lasting impact it would have. The effects went beyond the disappointment Sox fans felt watching a rare chance to go to a World Series vanish in the midst of a power struggle between owners and players. Though we all know baseball is a business, we fans still have a somewhat childlike reverence for the game. 1994 destroyed some of that reverence. Time won’t change those feelings.” – Dan Helpinstein. From the book Through Hope And Despair. Pgs. 182-183.

"I’m a dove, until they strike." ––Jerry Reinsdorf , August 1994. Comment printed in the Chicago newspapers after he spoke with the media from his luxury box at Comiskey Park.

“The Sox had their best team decades- led by guitar-playing pitcher Jack McDowell and young slugger Frank Thomas, they were 21 games over .500 when baseball shut down- only to see it neutered by the strike, with management’s biggest nut cutter being the Sox’ chairman, Jerry Reinsdorf . “ – Rick Telander from the Sports Illustrated story, Hey Chicago, Wait Till This Year. April 7, 2003.

But of course it was all Bud Selig's fault!!! LOL

Lip

TDog
05-01-2004, 01:55 PM
I've seen Jerry Reinsdorf talk to groups a few times and have always found him candid and willing to answer questions that many would consider abusive. I respect him for that.

Hangar18
05-02-2004, 09:32 PM

Just wondering...

Lip

IM GLAD someone asked this, I COULDNT WAIT TO CHIME in on this. This Was a Good INterview, and Only Cemented WHY I HATE JERRY, and Say He must Go. As Lip has said many times before, this Guy STILL cannot re-connect with the Average Sox Fan, berating us on the air regarding "stop paying attention to the cubs". Jerry, in case you havnt Noticed, theyre beating your organization to a pulp, Financially and PR-wise.

I especially delayed heading out Friday Nite, so that I could watch this. Sirott at first came off as very kissy-kissy and acknowledged right away that Reinsy doesnt do interviews OFten, and that he was glad to have him there. Reins was dressed very impeccably, and you could see they put a ton of make-up on him.

The interview was pretty FLuffy, til Sirott asked him some Very Good Questions, one of which was how he felt that SOX fans were blaming him for the teams attendance/payroll woes. JR said he had to have a "fiduciary responsibility" to the other shareholders, and that they cant lose money. He said that
Going to Tampa was a much better deal for the SOX all the way Around, but he chose to stay here and take "worse" deal, in order to hold to his promise to keep the SOX here. I laughed My A** off, knowing how Terrible this team wouldve been had they been playing all their games in Tropicana Field. He said he doesnt hate the cubs, and that they are a "phenomena" (little did he know, at HIS expense) and that "chicagos a cubs town" and said there NOTHING they could about the cubs, but to just worry about themselves. (I immediately thought how that attitude the last 20 yrs has put the SOX in the boat theyre in now). He said SOX fans worry too much about them, we should worry about the SOX. He also said that "Sox Fans should be Happy that theres a good team in CHicago" and implied that a Cub World Series would be "great for a chicago team". I cant tell you how much that ANGERED me hearing this .

Sirott EXPERTLY REMINDED Reinsdorf that this "wasnt always a cubs town" and TOLD HIM HOW WRIGLEY was still closing the UpperDeck during the 1983 season.........THe SOX had still lead in attendance, and that the SOX were playing Extremely well and were the Toast of the TOwn. JR had to Cover his Tracks and admitted that it was "another owner in 1968" that took the SOX off WGN and has hurt the SOX ever since then. I shook my head in amazement .................

Sirott asked him about his role in the strike, and how Most SOX fans still blame HIM for that, costing the SOX a chance at the WS.
He said he wasnt the one Ringleading the thing, but that it was BUD SELIG WHO TOOK THE REINS AND COALESCED THE OWNERS INTO THEIR HARDLINE STANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I nearly rolled off the couch!!!!!!!!!!! Just like JR to Pass the Buck like this. I didnt believe a word of this nonsense and Immediately thought JR to be not only a Liar, but a very scary person at this point, as he said everything with this GIant Smile on his face. I immediately PIctured BUD, waxing JR's Bentley, sweat dripping off his Used Car Salesmans face, and JR telling him to apply a 2nd coat ........"and make it quick".

What was most startling, was Sirott saying they were gonna play 10 names, and mention the first thing that comes to mind.
when he got to the last name..........Jay Mariotti.......JR didnt let him finish the name MARRIOTI, before he said PISS ANT.
I was aghast at how proper and well spoken he was in this interview, before seemingly lowering himself to Gutter-Talk in a Flash. SIrott laughed and said "do you want to take a second and rethink your answer" before again being CUToff by JR saying
PISS-ANT. I was flabbergasted how quick this guy could immediately turn into a seeming street-hood like that.

This was a good interview for sure............It sure made me Not Like This Guy even More, and evidenced the REASON this TEAM HASNT BEEN TO THE WORLD SERIES SINCE 1959. It all starts from the TOP. I highly recommend EVERYONE get a copy
and watch this interview for themselves..........

TornLabrum
05-02-2004, 09:44 PM
Hangar: the term is pissant, and it means "one who is insignificant or unimportant."

Lip Man 1
05-02-2004, 09:47 PM
Sure and it was 'another owner,' who started SportsVision right?

It's easy to see senility creeping into good ole Uncle Jerry's mind. In his world it's always someone else's fault.

LOL

Lip

soxphotos
05-02-2004, 10:38 PM
1981 was the last year the Sox and Harry Caray were on WGN. Think of what might have been.....the Sox start winning, they are broadcasted all over the country on ch9 and Harry helps to develop an even LARGER following then he and the Sox had at the time (compared to the Cubs).

Harry Caray helped the Cubs more than anyone can imagine. The Sox had him and were too stupid to realize what they had. Reinsdorf should take full credit for this blunder....it wasn't Art Allyn's fault in 1968. It was Jerry Reinsdorf circa 1981.

soxnut
05-03-2004, 01:57 AM
I liked the intertview and I still like JR. :smile: And this is not in teal.

indysoxfan
05-03-2004, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
I liked the intertview and I still like JR. :smile: And this is not in teal.

concur

nasox
05-03-2004, 03:15 AM
I don't like JR, and will always call for his head, but I have to admit the interview made me hate him a little bit less. I think he is a brilliant guy and a skilled business man, and very savvy. He knows his stuff, let me put it that way.

Lip Man 1
05-03-2004, 02:15 PM
Nobody (at least not me) ever said good ole Uncle Jerry wasn't a shrewd bussinessman. He's a self made multi millionair.

Uncle Jerry's problem is that he's 'all business, all the time.' With him it's always 'the bottom line, short term thinking.'

It's that attitude that has driven this franchise into the state it's in in the first place. He is the steward of this organization....and it shows doesn't it?

A little less bottom line, a little less trying to blame everyone else, a little less fiscal responsibility to his other share holders and this team might not be a distant second in its home market.

Funny it wasn't that way before good ole Uncle Jerry got control was it? Hmmmmm...

"Chicago has always been a Cubs town..."--Jerry Reinsdorf. June 2002. ESPN Radio 1000. (Even Sirott called him out on this!)

Lip

Hokiesox
05-03-2004, 03:06 PM
At least he's not Billfold Wirtz.