PDA

View Full Version : Rain, Rain, Rain

Irishsox1
04-30-2004, 10:21 AM
80% chance of heavy thunderstorms starting around 5:00. 50 degrees. My pick to click is this game is a wash out.

thepaulbowski
04-30-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
80% chance of heavy thunderstorms starting around 5:00. 50 degrees. My pick to click is this game is a wash out.

The Sox can't get a break with the weather.

fuzzy_patters
04-30-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski

Welcome to late April in the midwest. This is what is so stupid about the unbalanced schedule. If they have a rain out Sunday against Toronto, they will not play them at home again. They will be forced to make up the game with a one day series on a day that both teams have off.

bobj4400
04-30-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski

The week that the Cubs were at home it was 80 and sunny everyday. Now we have been home for a week and a half and it has rained or been absolutely freezing all but a few days.

If a franchise is cursed, I think it is the South Side franchise...

TDog
04-30-2004, 11:15 AM
You can expect media reports saying nobody cares about the White Sox if people don't show up in the cold rain.

Foulke You
04-30-2004, 11:23 AM
It was also ridiculous to schedule a Chicago team's LONGEST homestand of the season in April for weather reasons. It is rainy and chilly for a majority of the days in April throughout the midwest. Would it not have made sense for the Sox to play out west against Anaheim, Oakland, Texas, and in some of the domes? I understand there are lots of teams to balance but c'mon!! How about some common sense?

I agree with IrishSox1. My pick to click tonight is the weather.

:hawk
"Roger Gorman, Foulke You, and I are going to go with God himself tonight, Feisty."

batmanZoSo
04-30-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Welcome to late April in the midwest. This is what is so stupid about the unbalanced schedule. If they have a rain out Sunday against Toronto, they will not play them at home again. They will be forced to make up the game with a one day series on a day that both teams have off.

That's true. But there are a few benefits to it that are almost essential to our success. For one, we don't have to go to the West Coast more than once. We also get 38 games against the Jndjans and Tigres. Plus 19 against KC and I think we have their number, so you might as well call that series a bonus too.

MetalliSox
04-30-2004, 11:50 AM
I wouldn't mind a Halladay/Buehrle match up on Sat to see in person.

Johnny Mostil
04-30-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
My pick to click is this game is a wash out.

With profuse apologies for my considerable ignorance, may I please ask what, exactly, is a "pick to click"? Whom (or, in this case, what) one thinks will be the biggest influence on a game? If so, how is a winning "pick to click" determined in the contests on these boards?

Iwritecode
04-30-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Mostil
With profuse apologies for my considerable ignorance, may I please ask what, exactly, is a "pick to click"? Whom (or, in this case, what) one thinks will be the biggest influence on a game? If so, how is a winning "pick to click" determined in the contests on these boards?

WSI's Pick to Click Contest! (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&forumid=8)

soltrain21
04-30-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Mostil

A Sox fan not knowing what a PTC is? We shall teach you..young grasshopper...

Johnny Mostil
04-30-2004, 01:20 PM
Thanks, IWC and Soltrain. "Grasshopper" may apply in my case, but "young" . . . ?

skottyj242
04-30-2004, 02:40 PM
It's going to be 72 and smoky in the Bullpen Bar in right field tonight, and that's where I'll be.

fuzzy_patters
04-30-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
That's true. But there are a few benefits to it that are almost essential to our success. For one, we don't have to go to the West Coast more than once. We also get 38 games against the Jndjans and Tigres. Plus 19 against KC and I think we have their number, so you might as well call that series a bonus too.

How does this benefit us? The rest of the Central does not go west more than once, also. Unless you are counting on winning the Wild Card, this does not benefit or hinder us.

batmanZoSo
04-30-2004, 03:05 PM
How does this benefit us? The rest of the Central does not go west more than once, also. Unless you are counting on winning the Wild Card, this does not benefit or hinder us.

What? Do you know what our record is on the west coast the last three years? Minnesota doesn't have that problem.

Lizard
04-30-2004, 03:44 PM
Sounds like the Bullpen Bar is the place to be tonight!

MRKARNO
04-30-2004, 05:48 PM
There is a huge system on the verge of moving through the area. There's a very low chance of this game starting on time. I would expect them to be able to play by about 9:00 PM. It would be a foolish decision if they decided to start the game under the slightest bit of rain as it would be inevitably delayed. There is a tail system of light rain behind the huge system and if that looks like it would hit, the game might be postponed, but for now it looks like it wont

http://radar.accuweather.com/adcbin/public/radar_index.asp?partner=accuweather&getarea=nc&nxtype=sir&type=loop

Win1ForMe
04-30-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
[B]There is a huge system on the verge of moving through the area. There's a very low chance of this game starting on time. I would expect them to be able to play by about 9:00 PM. It would be a foolish decision if they decided to start the game under the slightest bit of rain as it would be inevitably delayed. There is a tail system of light rain behind the huge system and if that looks like it would hit, the game might be postponed, but for now it looks like it wont

Actually, I'd rather have a delay and force Halladay out of the game. I'll take my chances against the Toronto bullpen, even if it means Buehrle has to leave the game as well.

batmanZoSo
04-30-2004, 06:04 PM
There is a huge system on the verge of moving through the area. There's a very low chance of this game starting on time. I would expect them to be able to play by about 9:00 PM. It would be a foolish decision if they decided to start the game under the slightest bit of rain as it would be inevitably delayed. There is a tail system of light rain behind the huge system and if that looks like it would hit, the game might be postponed, but for now it looks like it wont

http://radar.accuweather.com/adcbin/public/radar_index.asp?partner=accuweather&getarea=nc&nxtype=sir&type=loop

It might be a blessing to get rained out tonight. You know we're not gonna hit Halladay.

MRKARNO
04-30-2004, 06:10 PM
What if we do beat Halladay and look great though? If we're patient and are able to make sure he doesnt go 7+ we're in good shape. It's very possible to hit Halladay hard, though it's only been done once this year, but Halladay has also been dominant in only one game so far. 3 quality starts account for the other 3 starts

batmanZoSo
04-30-2004, 06:17 PM
What if we do beat Halladay and look great though?

Well....I'll be happy.

It's very possible to hit Halladay hard, though it's only been done once this year, but Halladay has also been dominant in only one game so far. 3 quality starts account for the other 3 starts

I heard he's getting no run support. He has a fine ERA so it can't be all his fault that he's 2-3 or whatever he is. But that kinda stuff (no run support) tends to cease when we're figured into the equation. Then again, Buehrle's so due for a good start. He had a pretty solid one last time, but Politte let two Buehrle runs come in on a double making it 5 on the day.

MRKARNO
04-30-2004, 06:38 PM
I just looked at the radar again. This game will be played. Should start late by about an hour or an hour and a half.

batmanZoSo
04-30-2004, 06:52 PM
I just looked at the radar again. This game will be played. Should start late by about an hour or an hour and a half.

Who said it would start late? Or are you guessing based on the radar?

Railsplitter
05-01-2004, 08:00 AM

Unfortunately, an odd number of teams in the A.L. Central makes it impossible for them to only play each other.