PDA

View Full Version : Shingo's changeup poll

inta
04-30-2004, 04:39 AM
at times, i've been pretty impressed by it.
after reading the article about it in todays bune... and hearing it compared to Foulke's, i'm curious. whose changeup do you rate more?

Obviously I never saw Shingo when he played in japan, but hitting a 67mph changeup is pretty amazing control.

SEALgep
04-30-2004, 10:45 AM
Foulke has proved it on this level already, over several seasons at that. However, the discussion was who has the best changeup, and that's Takatsu. It moves and dives, and he has no problems throwing it for a strike. Takatsu will also prove he can play at this level, and I'm glad we have him. Except for his early jitters, that haven't cost us, he has been relaxed and effective.

DrummerGeorgefan
04-30-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
It moves and dives, and he has no problems throwing it for a strike.

Shingo's pitches are as unpredictable as the bullpen.
He really keeps hitters off balance with all his pitches, both speed wise and movement-wise

Randar68
04-30-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by inta
at times, i've been pretty impressed by it.
after reading the article about it in todays bune... and hearing it compared to Foulke's, i'm curious. whose changeup do you rate more?

Obviously I never saw Shingo when he played in japan, but hitting a 67mph changeup is pretty amazing control.

IMO, in order to rate someone's change-up, you have to consider a lot of other things:

1) deception
2) movement
3) control
4) mechanics of it (same arm angle/release as the fastball)

Foulke rates VERY highly in all of those categories. His change dives down an in on righties, and he has enough velocity on his fastball to make that 12-15 mph drop look like 20 mph.

I do like Shingo's, but every one he throws moves differently. He definitely has to rely on keeping it down in the zone, moreso than Foulke, because if someone is sitting on that 65 mph change and get's one up in the zone, they're going to hit it a long, long way.