PDA

View Full Version : #1 Sox Hole So Far

nodiggity59
04-29-2004, 11:19 PM
What do you think is the Sox's biggest hole thus far?

Edite: A "hole" is a long term problem and is not a "slump." For example, I would categorize Crede's performance as a slump but 3rd base is not a hole, IMO.

soltrain21
04-29-2004, 11:24 PM
Gotta go with number 5 pitcher. Wright just isn't going to cut it. Rowand can turn it around at any moment, plus we have Reed waiting in the wings to fix the problem. Our #1 isn't a hole at all.

ma_deuce
04-29-2004, 11:36 PM
Wright is all wrong.

Deuce

SoxFan76
04-29-2004, 11:37 PM
I'm the first to vote number 1 starter. I expect the number 5 starter to be bad, although not this bad. But I've been more dissapointed with Buerhle and Loaiza. Yes, Loaiza is 4-0, and ultimately that is all that matters, but it hasn't been pretty. And Mark has not looked very good so far.

Shoeless Joe
04-29-2004, 11:40 PM
Easy wins! The other options are valid points, but winning games tends to make them a little moot.

mweflen
04-29-2004, 11:49 PM
Where is the option for Willie Harris?

nodiggity59
04-30-2004, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by mweflen
Where is the option for Willie Harris?

Omitted in the hopes that when Valentin comes back, Uribe goes to 2nd.

A guy can hope can't he? At least until I'm proved wrong

DonkeyKongerko
04-30-2004, 01:04 AM
My vote is the lack of leadoff hitter.

doublem23
04-30-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by DonkeyKongerko
My vote is the lack of leadoff hitter.

I second this.

wood28
04-30-2004, 08:23 AM
I'd have to agree with the lack of production from the leadoff spot.

misty60481
04-30-2004, 08:59 AM
I agree lead-off spot and 2nd base

hsnterprize
04-30-2004, 09:15 AM
I voted for the #5 starter, but the Sox also not only lack a leadoff hitter...they also lack a consistent offense (where's the smallball Ozzie promised?) and baserunning smarts. There's nothing wrong with being aggressive on the basepaths, but making boneheaded mistakes on the bases when the game's close is ridiculous.

Frater Perdurabo
04-30-2004, 09:19 AM
The Sox need an ace pitcher and a leadoff hitter. An ace pitcher pushes everyone back a spot in the rotation and Wright to the bullpen or to Charlotte. If they keep winning, though, perhaps Reinsy will loosen the purse strings and allow Kenny to pursue a deal to fill both holes around the All-Star break.

pjthesox13
04-30-2004, 10:38 AM
The pitchin isn't come along exactly how we want. That's where we need the support.

Dadawg_77
04-30-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
I voted for the #5 starter, but the Sox also not only lack a leadoff hitter...they also lack a consistent offense (where's the smallball Ozzie promised?) and baserunning smarts. There's nothing wrong with being aggressive on the basepaths, but making boneheaded mistakes on the bases when the game's close is ridiculous.

Small ball isn't offense and will produce consistently bad outcomes. This team is way over aggressive on the base paths, which has cost them.

Randar68
04-30-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by nodiggity59
What do you think is the Sox's biggest hole thus far?

Edite: A "hole" is a long term problem and is not a "slump." For example, I would categorize Crede's performance as a slump but 3rd base is not a hole, IMO.

In terms of a single position? A true Leadoff hitter.

In terms of an idea, philosophy or stat-line... This team is terrible at taking walks outside of Frank. OBP is the reason all you see are solo HR's (2-R HR's are like Grand Slams for this team)

fuzzy_patters
04-30-2004, 11:35 AM
I vote for left-handed hitter. I do not really how they get one. With Valentin injured, the Sox do not have any left-handed power hitters.

nodiggity59
04-30-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
(2-R HR's are like Grand Slams for this team)

:D: Nice point.

BigFrankFan
04-30-2004, 01:26 PM
I put Closer but this really goes for the whole bullpen.

The SOX have the strongest 1-4 rotation.
If Wright can pitch a little better that would be 1-5.
He's not any where near as bad as the other #5's in the ALC.

The lineup is not hitting as well as MIN, but it's also not firing on all cylinders. C Lee, Maggs, & even Frank are not hitting like they were in the 2nd 1/2 of 2k3. So overall I think the lineup will improve & the holes in it are small.

The reason why the SOX are once again looking up at MIN is the bullpen. It's not a bad bullpen overall, but it's not close to MIN
either. There lies the key to winning the division: bullpen strength.
If the SOX bullpen can't perform as well or better than MIN the SOX
will not win this division. It's that simple.

The good news is that the bullpen appears to be getting stronger
as the season runs. Let's not forget we don't have Wunsch in there yet & that will be a big addition. I hope he returns before the MIN series.

Railsplitter
05-01-2004, 08:34 AM
To me, the biggest hole is the bullpen, not just the closer.

NonetheLoaiza
05-01-2004, 01:36 PM
i also agree with leadoff and/or second base. we need some speed on the basepaths and in that number 1 spot.

Dan H
05-02-2004, 07:56 AM
Starting pitching from 1 through 5. I like the way the team is playing now, but over the long haul, you need consistent starting pitching. As far as I am concerned the whole starting staff is one big question mark. Someone will have to step forward, and I haven't seen it yet.

BigFrankFan
05-02-2004, 01:52 PM
Change my mind. It's the 5th starter. We need one. We don't have one. Look at Wright's ip. We don't have one. We can't edge the Twinks in the div w/out one. Definitely our #1 need.