PDA

View Full Version : Think We'll Play Tonight?

NSSoxFan2
04-29-2004, 06:12 PM
Of course I'm sure you guys are aware of the weather situation tonight: scattered t-storms.

Calling all weathermen!: YES OR NO on the game tonight?

npdempse
04-29-2004, 06:23 PM
I can't remember the last time a home game was cancelled. I don't know if it's a JR thing, but they seem to have a religious fervor about not issuing rain check tickets. I remember one game that Colon pitched last year that had a rain delay for hours upon hours but still got played. They ended up giving rain checks for that because it dragged on so long.

It could be that they know the drainage system is so good, they can play very soon after a storm.

So yes, the game will be played tonight, even if they have to wait an hour and a half while a thunderstorm passes over.

Randar68
04-29-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
I can't remember the last time a home game was cancelled. I don't know if it's a JR thing, but they seem to have a religious fervor about not issuing rain check tickets. I remember one game that Colon pitched last year that had a rain delay for hours upon hours but still got played. They ended up giving rain checks for that because it dragged on so long.

I've been to games with very long rain delays that they issued free tickets vouchers to anyone who stayed for the whole thing...

SoxxoS
04-29-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
I've been to games with very long rain delays that they issued free tickets vouchers to anyone who stayed for the whole thing...

:reinsy

"I know nothing about this. Heads will roll."

batmanZoSo
04-29-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

I got gypped then. I went in May of 2000, Cal Eldred beat the Indians and there was a good hour and a half delay for that one.

Champs2004
04-29-2004, 07:25 PM
man i loved that game last year at the start of the 2nd half. I was stupid enough to stand out there rain soaked. all in all that was the best game i ever went to. stayed until 3 am

maurice
04-29-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
I can't remember the last time a home game was cancelled.

Deuce and I had tix for a Sox game that was cancelled hours before game time, and it wasn't even raining that day. The official reason was "too cold," but the actual reason was "Bulls playoff game." It was plenty warm, so we thought the waitress at Hickory Pit was kidding when she told us it was cancelled.

:angry:

pearso66
04-29-2004, 07:36 PM
I once sat through an hour and a half rain delay also, against the Yankees, no voucher, oh well, it was a great game nonetheless

nasox
04-29-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
I got gypped then. I went in May of 2000, Cal Eldred beat the Indians and there was a good hour and a half delay for that one.

either they didn't give away free tickets to those fans that stayed back then, or the delay wasn't long enough, or maybe too many fans stuck around and JR didn't want to give that many tickets away (probably not since more tickets equals more money spent on parking, concessions, etc.).

Remember that tigers game the day after the all star game last year? There was something like a 3 and a half hour rain delay and they still played. All the 100 fans or so that stuck around got free tickets. And i think that was the game that ESPN.com's Page 2 came around to rate the cell.

NonetheLoaiza
04-29-2004, 11:10 PM
i was at one of those games last year. i think it was a 2 hour rain delay. then they said that next game you show your ticket from that game and get a free ticket of equal or lesser value. it rocked. the game was against the tigers, but hey it was a free ticket.

soltrain21
04-29-2004, 11:22 PM
The only thing forcasted tonite was another White Sox comeback, baby!

:ozzie
"You damn right!"

batmanZoSo
04-29-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by nasox

Remember that tigers game the day after the all star game last year? There was something like a 3 and a half hour rain delay and they still played. All the 100 fans or so that stuck around got free tickets. And i think that was the game that ESPN.com's Page 2 came around to rate the cell.

Yes I do and yes they did. What luck we have. It figures to rain the night someone's evaluating the park.

nasox
04-30-2004, 01:14 AM
I guess we did play, uh. Well, actually, we really didnt start to play until the 6th, huh? :D:

HomeFish
04-30-2004, 08:11 AM
Around the third or fourth inning it started raining slightly harder and the grounds crew came in to roll out the tarp.

Just as they had rolled the tarp to third base the rain stopped and they were caught the field. The entire crowd started booing them; they couldn't get off fast enough.

It was great.

BeerHandle
04-30-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by NSSoxFan2
Of course I'm sure you guys are aware of the weather situation tonight: scattered t-storms.

Calling all weathermen!: YES OR NO on the game tonight?

I hope we play because I'm in a group of 60 going to the game.