PDA

View Full Version : Winning ugly may be exciting....

jlh0023
04-29-2004, 02:08 PM
A win is a win, but we can't always rely on 9th inning hitters. Our fundamental problem (besides pitching in general) seems to be pitching while ahead. Our pitchers rarely give up runs when we're losing, but when we get up, our pitchers seem to lose it. When we go on the road and it's our pitching that has to end the game, we're gonna be in trouble (remember our roadtrip to start the season). When you can't even count on Buerle or Marte to get the job done, thats a concern. Our offense can only save our asses once in a while.....look at the 2003 texas rangers or this year's cardinals. I don't ahve all the answers, maybe we gotta start making some deals, or getting some new pitching coaches, I really don't know.....any thoughts?

I just hope the next 17 games against Cleveland look a little different.

Eddie Gaedel
04-29-2004, 02:35 PM
after yesterday's game the sox are starting to remind me of the 2001 bears. improbable wins from an average team. when are they going to start playing consistantly good baseball? can they?

jlh0023
04-29-2004, 02:42 PM
only if they get consistently good pitchers

SEALgep
04-29-2004, 02:48 PM
You doubters, don't show up when the Sox win this division and start blowing out teams in the near future.

jlh0023
04-29-2004, 02:53 PM
Don't tell me you don't worry about our teams consistancy, and our offense always having to dig our pitchers out of losses.

SEALgep
04-29-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by jlh0023
Don't tell me you don't worry about our teams consistancy, and our offense always having to dig our pitchers out of losses. I'm not worried at all. A lot of our guys have had slow starts who typically warm up when the weather does. You can ask anyone on this forum whether or not I've thought we had a good team from the get go. In fact, these close wins give me more assurance of something special here, because last year we were criticized that we couldn't win games from behind or that were close. We blew teams out or we lossed. We're going to be blowing out some teams, but it's fantastic we don't have to rely on it, or that the Sox are never out of any game. It's early, but I'm very optimistic.

CHISOXFAN13
04-29-2004, 03:26 PM
]Df??]Originally posted by SEALgep [/i]
I'm not worried at all. A lot of our guys have had slow starts who typically warm up when the weather does. You can ask anyone on this forum whether or not I've thought we had a good team from the get go. In fact, these close wins give me more assurance of something special here, because last year we were criticized that we couldn't win games from behind or that were close. We blew teams out or we lossed. We're going to be blowing out some teams, but it's fantastic we don't have to rely on it, or that the Sox are never out of any game. It's early, but I'm very optimistic. [/QUOTE]

We are in 100 percent agreement. And for JH's argument about our pitching on the road, throw out one inning in the opening game and it's been solid.

If I'm not mistaken, we have 7 or 8 quality starts from our SP in nine road contests.

I'm not worried at all.

MRKARNO
04-29-2004, 03:41 PM
Our pitching carried us at first and now our hitting is carrying us. We will eventually put it together. This team is so good that even though everything isnt together, we're still able to win.