PDA

View Full Version : This team a lot different from 'Winning Ugly' Sox of 1983

Realist
04-29-2004, 01:34 PM
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sox.asp

There are significant differences between this year and 1983. For one thing, the "winning ugly" crew started the season 16-24 and didn't reach .500 until the 66th game.

Plus, the 1983 team captured the attention and the imagination of an entire city, something unlikely to happen until the media points its spotlight at on-the-field miracles rather than off-the-field public relations disasters.

I never leave the game early no matter how bad the Sox are losing because its comebacks like yesterday's that leave everlasting fond memories.

NEVER say die.

kittle42
04-29-2004, 01:50 PM
I think the way that it differs from the 1983 team most is that it has none of the same players. :smile:

npdempse
04-29-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
I think the way that it differs from the 1983 team most is that it has none of the same players. :smile:

Hey, Harold's on the bench.

MisterB
04-29-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by npdempse

And Julio Cruz is still on the payroll. :redneck

eriqjaffe
04-29-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
And Julio Cruz is still on the payroll. :redneck

I bet 49-year-old Julio could outhit Willie...

hold2dibber
04-29-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by npdempse

And Walker, too!

Baby Fisk
04-29-2004, 04:29 PM
Let's not forget we have WAAAAAY better uniforms now.

:lsox

vegyrex
04-29-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk

We sure do. :smile:

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-29-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk

You have to admit though, that logo is AWESOME! But the one we have now is fine. :)

batmanZoSo
04-29-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
You have to admit though, that logo is AWESOME! But the one we have now is fine. :)

Is that a righty facing us with his hat backwards or is it a lefty facing towards the right? Either way, I doubt that little guy would get many hits with that batting stance. It's like he has both his arms in splints. :smile:

RedPinStripes
04-29-2004, 06:52 PM
Hey! Those 83 uni's are becoming my favorite after geting the refreshened memory of them last year. That was my first year i really followed baseball.

Greg Luzinski looked even larger in that jersey. Now there's a guy who needed to wear vertical pin stripes. :D:

Lip Man 1
04-29-2004, 08:57 PM
The biggest difference is that the Sox had five quality starting pitchers (now there's a radical idea!) in Hoyt, Dotson, Bannister, Burns and Koosman.

In fact the Sox also acquired two other guys the previous off season in Steve Mura and Randy Martz who also had years where they won ten or more games in the bigs. They weren't even good enough to crack the rotation.

Lip

white sox bill
04-30-2004, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337

Hey, I've benn looking for that logo as a sew-on for Polo shirts or ball cap for years. Anyone know where I can buy one?

TommyJohn
04-30-2004, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by kittle42

Humor. Ark, Ark.

TDog
04-30-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The biggest difference is that the Sox had five quality starting pitchers (now there's a radical idea!) in Hoyt, Dotson, Bannister, Burns and Koosman.

In fact the Sox also acquired two other guys the previous off season in Steve Mura and Randy Martz who also had years where they won ten or more games in the bigs. They weren't even good enough to crack the rotation.

Lip

In April and May, few believed the Sox had five quality starting pitchers. Bannister was a HUGE disappointment before the All-Star break. He had two wins, and Harry Caray was slamming him on the Cubs broadcasts. The Arizona Republic did a midseason story about what a lousy pitcher Bannister had turned out to be after signing a big contract. Burns was considered someome who would never fulfill his early promise. His best game came at the end, when he pitched nine shutout innings as the Sox couldn't score on the final blustery day. Many thought Koosman was over the hill. Sox fans were very down on their pitching and their manager until mid-season. If this forum had existed, posters in May would have been screaming about their team having only two quality starters.

In 1984, the Sox had mostly the same starters. But the best starter, though, was Seaver. He didn't even have to be as good as he was to be the best starter as the year was a major disappointment, pitching and all. A couple of years later I saw Bannister trying to hang on with Japan's Yakult Swallows when they were training in Yuma, Arizona.

Pitching is a fragile commodity. When it comes together like it did for the Sox after the 1983 All-Star break, you're lucky.