PDA

View Full Version : Paul Ladewski Column


Lip Man 1
04-29-2004, 01:17 PM
Paul Ladewski in the Daily Southtown has an outstanding column looking at the Sox marketing / PR issues.

He devotes some of it to a point brought out very often by Pale Hose George and that's the fact that the Sox aren't devoting a lot of effort towards their season ticket base.

I recommend reading it.

Lip

fledgedrallycap
04-29-2004, 01:25 PM
That was good stuff. Name that man PR Director!

Iwritecode
04-29-2004, 01:41 PM
Lip, with almost 4,000 posts here I would figure you know how to link articles by now...

Click here (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/ladewski/x29-lad1.htm)

poorme
04-29-2004, 01:41 PM
There is nothing worse than an empty seat. An empty seat can't park its car (cha-ching). It can't buy a hot dog and a beer (cha-ching). It can't buy a ballcap and a pennant (cha-ching-cha-ching). It can't tell the guy at work what a great time he had at the Sox game last night.

Clembasbal
04-29-2004, 01:45 PM
Paul is a long time friend of my dads. He is a Sox fan and my old man was a Scubs fan, but not anymore. As of what Paul said two weekends ago at a wedding, he was working on the Bulls but not traveling with them because MJ is no longer with the team.

If he has become the Sox writer then that would be awesome, he is a great writer with a lot of great ideas...and he isn't one for bashing everybody like those other tools in downtown.

Props to Paul, great article and great points!

bobj4400
04-29-2004, 01:53 PM
That is a great column with some fantastic ideas. Too bad this management group would scoff at them b/c as usual they know best and dont need help from outsiders...

Kid Kip
04-29-2004, 01:53 PM
i was be very disappointed if joe cowley wasn't covering the sox beat for the southtown. he consistantly does the best job while covering the white sox. i like ledewski, but i rely on joe cowley to tell me what's going on.

Hangar18
04-29-2004, 03:28 PM
this is a good column .....................

iwannago
04-29-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Lip, with almost 4,000 posts here I would figure you know how to link articles by now...

Click here (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/ladewski/x29-lad1.htm)

Thanks

Dadawg_77
04-29-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Lip, with almost 4,000 posts here I would figure you know how to link articles by now...

Click here (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/ladewski/x29-lad1.htm)

I am not sure Lip gets his news via the net but reading what comes over the wire at work.

thepaulbowski
04-29-2004, 03:56 PM
He's got some pretty cool ideas. Hopefully the Sox are taking notes. Boyer has to be a smart guy, he went to Notre Dame, hopefully he is taking notes.

hose
04-29-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
I am not sure Lip gets his news via the net but reading what comes over the wire at work.


The wire?..... Morse code?

Dadawg_77
04-29-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by hose
The wire?..... Morse code?

Lip works for a paper out in Idaho (I think). I think he explained it once, that he sees the stories via the new service they have (wire)

BeerHandle
04-29-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Paul Ladewski in the Daily Southtown has an outstanding column looking at the Sox marketing / PR issues.

He devotes some of it to a point brought out very often by Pale Hose George and that's the fact that the Sox aren't devoting a lot of effort towards their season ticket base.

I recommend reading it.

Lip

What a good article! Thanks for posting the information on the article.

FarWestChicago
04-29-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Lip, with almost 4,000 posts here I would figure you know how to link articles by now...He can't even quote. :smile:

mweflen
04-29-2004, 05:10 PM
Hmm.... a budget section in the UD corner...

what a concept!

Rex Hudler
04-29-2004, 08:18 PM
There is nothing worse than an empty seat. An empty seat can't park its car (cha-ching). It can't buy a hot dog and a beer (cha-ching). It can't buy a ballcap and a pennant (cha-ching-cha-ching). It can't tell the guy at work what a great time he had at the Sox game last night.

Actually, there is nothing worse than a strategy that tries to fill those seats by heavily discounting tickets or giving them away.

Ladewski (sp?) had some good ideas, but you have to be careful about discounting your tickets. If done strategically and on a limited basis that is fine, but too much will actually reduce your ability to sell any seats for full price.

Lip Man 1
04-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Joe Cowley is going to remain the Sox beat writer for the Southtown. Paul Ladewski is a columnists for the Southtown.

Lip

TornLabrum
04-29-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Lip, with almost 4,000 posts here I would figure you know how to link articles by now...

Click here (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/ladewski/x29-lad1.htm)

Sounds like Ladewski has been listening to PHG.

batmanZoSo
04-29-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
He's got some pretty cool ideas. Hopefully the Sox are taking notes. Boyer has to be a smart guy, he went to Notre Dame, hopefully he is taking notes.

I know someone who goes to Notre Dame and he ain't all that bright. Let's just wait and see.

Dadawg_77
04-30-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
Actually, there is nothing worse than a strategy that tries to fill those seats by heavily discounting tickets or giving them away.

Ladewski (sp?) had some good ideas, but you have to be careful about discounting your tickets. If done strategically and on a limited basis that is fine, but too much will actually reduce your ability to sell any seats for full price.

Then why not make it a permanent discount? The fact is price is not in equilibrium and needs to lower to meet demand. You can multi tier pricing scheme, so those seats become higher price on high demand games, but weekday games vs Devil Rays those seats will be empty.

Rex Hudler
04-30-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Then why not make it a permanent discount? The fact is price is not in equilibrium and needs to lower to meet demand. You can multi tier pricing scheme, so those seats become higher price on high demand games, but weekday games vs Devil Rays those seats will be empty.

Unfortunately you won't ever see a team do that. I disagree with the Sox consistent increase of prices over the past few years, which is why I suggested they publicly state they will hold those prices over the next 2 years.

Discounting tickets too much causes two problems. First, people want to buy cheaper seats and then "upgrade" to better seats. When ushers stop them from doing so, they are seen as rude and the fan is upset and customer service is perceived as bad. Allowing this practice trains fans to buy the cheaper seats, in effect lowering your revenue.

Second, it conditions fans to come only when there is a discount offer. Provide fans enough opportunities to buy discounted tickets and they are less likely to come when there is no such offer. In the long run, it can effectively lower your revenue and depress demand for your tickets.

If you are constantly discounting tickets, youa re in effect admitting to your fans that your product is not worth the value you place on your tickets.

The key is to find ways to make your product more valuable. The Sox should change their marketing focus, better their customer service (going only on what I have heard), increase their sales efforts and hold their ticket prices for at least two years. A public guarantee of doing so might just have a positive effect.

Those things, along with being competitive on the field are what will help the Sox and USCF fill up again, and stay that way for the long run.