PDA

View Full Version : Can the Sox really beat the Twins?

Irishsox1
04-29-2004, 12:39 PM
I am very depressed by the Twins this year. They lost Joe Mays, LaTroy Hawkins, Eddie Guardado, Eric Milton, A.J. Pierzinski and Denny Hocking and they still have the best record in baseball. After the last three years of doing the El Foldo to the Twins in September, I naturally feel that the Sox have no shot against the Twins. However, with Ozzie in town and the way things are shaping up, any game with the Twins should be high drama this year.

pjthesox13
04-29-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
I am very depressed by the Twins this year. They lost Joe Mays, LaTroy Hawkins, Eddie Guardado, Eric Milton, A.J. Pierzinski and Denny Hocking and they still have the best record in baseball. After the last three years of doing the El Foldo to the Twins in September, I naturally feel that the Sox have no shot against the Twins. However, with Ozzie in town and the way things are shaping up, any game with the Twins should be high drama this year.

Most of those guys are finding decent new life in Baseball but the Twins haven't played too many powerhouses yet. I think we got a shot at them. Let's see how they fare against NY soon.

bobj4400
04-29-2004, 12:44 PM

I know they still have to win the games, but look at who they have played...

pinwheels3530
04-29-2004, 12:45 PM
The sox have to minimize mistakes and play loose, players like
Rowand, Crede, Olivio, Harris, and Uribe will be key they have to come through in clutch situations like they have been.

Clembasbal
04-29-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400
I know they still have to win the games, but look at who they have played...

I concur whole-heartedly. They have played all but three games against the central division which is by far the powerhouse of baseball , and their other three were against the lowly Bluejays.

Palehose13
04-29-2004, 01:08 PM
YES!

SEALgep
04-29-2004, 01:08 PM
They're going against Anaheim next, let's see how they fair aginst them. Although they're at home too.

jeremyb1
04-29-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
They're going against Anaheim next, let's see how they fair aginst them. Although they're at home too.

I'm guessing they will come back down to earth pretty soon. Blanco, Offerman, and Mientkiewich have already fallen off their ridiculous early paces and Lou Ford probably doesn't hit .400 the entire season.

lowesox
04-29-2004, 01:24 PM
I think Minnesota and KC have both been flukes so far. Minnesota won't be that good and KC won't be that bad.

ChiSox14305635
04-29-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by pjthesox13
Most of those guys are finding decent new life in Baseball but the Twins haven't played too many powerhouses yet. I think we got a shot at them. Let's see how they fare against NY soon.

You'll be waiting awhile then. They don't play New York until late August, though they do get the Yankees again in the final series of the season. If the AL Central is on the line at that point between the Sox and Twins, I'll gladly put aside my Yankee hatred for 3 games.

pjthesox13
04-29-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
You'll be waiting awhile then. They don't play New York until late August, though they do get the Yankees again in the final series of the season. If the AL Central is on the line at that point between the Sox and Twins, I'll gladly put aside my Yankee hatred for 3 games.

I thought they played them sooner then that.

But I think I might have to put my Yankees hatred aside as well for that one.

I just think the Twins will cool off soon. As stated earlier, the Angels should do some damage to them.

Lip Man 1
04-29-2004, 01:52 PM
The entire contraction issue focused the Twins organization into proving a point. One of their marketing executives happens to be a basketball official in the Big Sky Conference so I see him once or twice a year.

We talked about this and I can't relate to you how much he hates Bud Selig. His attitude flows through their entire organization.

Add to that the fact that the Twins are able to develop 'can't miss kids,' who actually know how to play the game and produce and throw in their obvious home field advantage and you get a pretty good club.

Finally I can only suggest a trite phrase...'they know how to win.'

It'll be an interesting season.

Lip

kittle42
04-29-2004, 01:55 PM
:reinsy
"There is no way we are going to catch the Twins."

Unregistered
04-29-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by pjthesox13
I just think the Twins will cool off soon. As stated earlier, the Angels should do some damage to them. The same Angels that lost 10-2 to the Tigers the other day? (Bartolo with 7ER in that game)

Sure hope so.

fuzzy_patters
04-29-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
The same Angels that lost 10-2 to the Tigers the other day? (Bartolo with 7ER in that game)

Sure hope so.

Those same Angels are up 7-0 on those same Tigers today. By the way, the Tigers are only 2 games out of first place. They may be this year's Royals.

Realist
04-29-2004, 02:09 PM
September 28th, 29th, and 30th, I just may be the biggest Yankee fan in the history of the universe.

Unregistered
04-29-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Those same Angels are up 7-0 on those same Tigers today. By the way, the Tigers are only 2 games out of first place. They may be this year's Royals. Oh, so they will be this years AL Central 3rd place team... :D:

Sure, as long as we're this years Marlins, they can be whatever the hell they want.

pjthesox13
04-29-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
the Tigers are only 2 games out of first place. They may be this year's Royals.

That's what I'm afraid of.

hold2dibber
04-29-2004, 05:43 PM

The Twins were, what, 3 or 4 better than the Sox last year. They lost all the guys you note, BUT the Sox lost Colon, Gordon, Sullivan, Alomar, Daubach, Graffinino and Everett. Thus, no reason to think that they'd just drop off the map while the Sox flourished. I said it at the beginning of the year and I still believe its true - I think the Twins are the team to beat in the division despite their personnel losses. They aren't going to finish with the best record in baseball, but they'll either win the Central or be in the thick of things 'til the end.

jlh0023
04-29-2004, 06:06 PM
YES

OurBitchinMinny
04-29-2004, 06:24 PM

Ive been to a few games at the dome. 10 of their 13 wins are come from behind, which means two things. They are usually down meaning they dont have a great staff or team in general. But they are also patient at the plate and never give up. The sox have more talent, but they have for the past 4 years and only finished ahead of them once. The sox bullpen is a huge weakness and that where we could struggle against the twins if nothing is done to improve it.

duke of dorwood
04-29-2004, 07:45 PM
Sure we can. We now have a manager that will not be intimidated by whoever is in the other dugout. Therein lies your difference

RedPinStripes
04-29-2004, 07:56 PM
I think the Sox can kick their ass with the team the Twins have now.