PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 4.29.04

Hangar18
04-29-2004, 08:43 AM
Our Beloved actually get FRONT PAGE & BACK PAGE in the Cub-Times today! I was impressed. Too bad we were outstoried 4-3 in the BrightOne today, but thats OK, the PICS definetely command attention. What I found particularly Irksome, was Moronottis column today. He Rails on cub fans who didnt like the Expletive laced tirade by Flim-Flam Baker last week. HELLO.......newsflash. Had that been OZZ doing that and getting suspended, the Writers wouldve been falling all over themselves Blasting the SOX again, doing something that isnt "family" oriented, goons running on the field etc etc. Funny how its ok 8miles north, but on the southside? Murph on the Score tried to Bait Callers and was whining about how
"one fan" made a call to commish office to complain. Murph, your team isnt as lovable as the Media makes them, and a group complained. It was excellent, noone took the bait.
And just for kicks, I was on hold for 30 something minutes, on hold to get on the Air to talk about the SOX. I hung up, got thru again, and told them I was a CubFan and was at the expletice laced game. Know how fast I was put to 1st?
Murph himself came onthe line and told me he was getting me on in 10 seconds........but I hung up on him, heh heh.

Downeys column today was alternately a blessing and a Slap in the Face. We did deserve the slap for having 14K at the park
on a great day ............

Cubune:
4 cub
5 sox
Cub-Times:
4 cub
3 sox

Since Spring Training began ........
CUBS 492
SOX 325

bennyw41
04-29-2004, 09:10 AM
Jeez...you think this is where people say you're a little obsessive?

Palehose13
04-29-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by bennyw41

I don't think he really takes too much time out of his day to do this. He reads the paper, then keeps track of how many stories per day...takes him maybe an extra minute, maybe.

In defense of Hangar, I appreciate that he has kept a tally cause it shows that there really is a media bias. Without those numbers, I may be inclined to be swayed by the media who claims that we are too sensitive or that the media bias is all in our heads.

Thanks Hangar!

Hangar18
04-29-2004, 09:16 AM

Feel free to use this idea everyone if your trying to get on the
air at the SCORE 670. Murph mostly airs cub calls, but if you
get thru, and they ask what you want to talk about, tell them CUB and you will get thru. Saves you time on your phone bill
and gets you on. trust me.

Jerko
04-29-2004, 09:21 AM
Another thing that works is if you pretend you're a Cub fan and once you get on the air, you bash things about the Cubs that we hate. THEN people will start seeing what WE hate about the Cub, and since it's a "CUB fan" saying it instead of a Sox fan, it will be looked upon as a valid point and you won't get hung up on.

bennyw41
04-29-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Palehose13
I don't think he really takes too much time out of his day to do this. He reads the paper, then keeps track of how many stories per day...takes him maybe an extra minute, maybe.

In defense of Hangar, I appreciate that he has kept a tally cause it shows that there really is a media bias. Without those numbers, I may be inclined to be swayed by the media who claims that we are too sensitive or that the media bias is all in our heads.

Thanks Hangar!

I was talking about the scamming of local radio stations in order to hang up on them. Seems a little sophomoric. But thanks palehose for a faulty endorsemnt.

Palehose13
04-29-2004, 09:26 AM
I was talking about the scamming of local radio stations in order to hang up on them. Seems a little sophomoric. But thanks palehose for a faulty endorsemnt.

Faulty endorsement? Sorry if I was confused about what you found obsessive.

Frater Perdurabo
04-29-2004, 10:28 AM
Keep it up, Hangar. I appreciate the stats. I may just use these stats for a class or a paper on media bias.

pjthesox13
04-29-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Keep it up, Hangar. I appreciate the stats. I may just use these stats for a class or a paper on media bias.

I agree totally. It is always good to know.

habibharu
04-29-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Palehose13

Thanks Hangar! i have to disagree with you. the amount of stories that each team gets doesnt show that there is a bias. i hate to admit it, but come on, the scrubs deserved more stories before the season started. they made a lot of big moves, and also got to game 7 of the NLCS last year. we didnt make any big moves, and didnt make the playoffs last year. while i agree that there is a bias i dont think that is because of the amount of stories, it is in the content of the storiesl. even when we win, all the writers talk about is the attendence and the park itself instead of the team. thats where the bias is.

Palehose13
04-29-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by habibharu
i have to disagree with you. the amount of stories that each team gets doesnt show that there is a bias. i hate to admit it, but come on, the scrubs deserved more stories before the season started. they made a lot of big moves, and also got to game 7 of the NLCS last year. we didnt make any big moves, and didnt make the playoffs last year. while i agree that there is a bias i dont think that is because of the amount of stories, it is in the content of the storiesl. even when we win, all the writers talk about is the attendence and the park itself instead of the team. thats where the bias is.

I agree with your point. I was also going to mention in that post that it would be interesting to see how many of the Sox stories had a negative spin.

rahulsekhar
04-29-2004, 11:44 AM
i have to disagree with you. the amount of stories that each team gets doesnt show that there is a bias. i hate to admit it, but come on, the scrubs deserved more stories before the season started. they made a lot of big moves, and also got to game 7 of the NLCS last year. we didnt make any big moves, and didnt make the playoffs last year. while i agree that there is a bias i dont think that is because of the amount of stories, it is in the content of the storiesl. even when we win, all the writers talk about is the attendence and the park itself instead of the team. thats where the bias is.

I'd agree, but a 50% discrepancy is WAY out of line. What I'd be curious about is the discrepancy after the season started (i.e. once both teams have started doing well).

Also, it appears to me that after last week's Ozzie comments and the resulting articles on media bias (or lack thereof depending on the columnist), there's been an improvement in both the tone and quantity of Sox news. The Thomas article a few days back in the Trib being a prime example: Focusing more on his performance than on the fact that he's not talking to the media. Hopefully this got the "dirty little secret" out in the open and the increased attention to the imbalance is forcing things to be more equitable. It also may have galvanized Sox fans to make their feelings heard....and smartly, the papers are listening.

Hangar - any chance you have easily accessible the totals at the beginning of the season and as of last week? It would be interesting to see how things have varied since then.

daveeym
04-29-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
Hangar - any chance you have easily accessible the totals at the beginning of the season and as of last week? It would be interesting to see how things have varied since then.

I agree that it would be intereting to see the break down since the begginning of the season so here's a link from hangar's 3/30 thread Link (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30896)

And here's the math.

3/30
Cubs 257
Sox 152

4/29/

Cubs 492
Sox 325

Actual Season Numbers
Cubs 235
Sox 173

Considering that first week of the season was TONS OF CUBS that's pretty reasonable.

Hangar18
04-29-2004, 12:00 PM

People, were not Looking at the BIG picture here. My Thesis if you will, was on how the Cubs were getting Twice the Media Exposure, DESPITE them being TERRIBLE and oftentimes at the EXPENSE of the SOX being better. This has gone on and on and on and on for years, and last year, decided to keep track of the numbers. SOme of you say "well we dont deserve it". Fine. But why do THEY deserve it then? My Contention is NorthSide popularity is MEDIA INDUCED. This is an ongoing project of course, when the SOX make the WORLD SERIES, these Numbers will be THat much more important. Think about this for a moment. If I wasnt doing this ............... would you rely on a Rick Telander to tell you the truth? " 'You dont cover the SOX enough' say Sox fans ....Not True". Note how he doesnt PROVE his point? Weve been bombarded with the Rick Telanders, the Mike Kileys, the Propoganda inspired Mike Murphys for too long. Dont tell me theyre more popular .....because of Attendance. Thats BullJunk. Its all Media Inspired .............like a bad 20 year Infomercial. That we have Fans all over the world is amazing to me. Did anyone Know there were a TON of Sox Fans in Dodger Stadium last year?
Did anyone know there were a TON of SOX fans in KC last summer?

Hangar18
04-29-2004, 12:04 PM
DaveyM, thank you for the Break-Down :gulp: