PDA

View Full Version : Good Sox column

cburns
04-28-2004, 10:55 PM
Downey just wrote a really good column on the Sox...everyone should check it out and heed his advice..

NSSoxFan2
04-28-2004, 11:03 PM
just read it. I think it was a great article. A lot of what he says can strike a cord with the casual fan. This is one of the simple things that will get Sox Park more attendance, positive media coverage.

Saracen
04-28-2004, 11:04 PM
Good article! Linkie:
Downey Column (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-040428downey,1,2334254.column?coll=cs-home-utility)

ShoelessFred
04-28-2004, 11:04 PM
i'm lazy, how's about a linky

cburns
04-28-2004, 11:05 PM
I especially like it since its the Tribune....I know they own the Cubs but they are still leagues ahead of the sun times in sox coverage

ShoelessFred
04-28-2004, 11:11 PM
nice article

Unregistered
04-29-2004, 01:16 AM
Caution: Hangar, your head might explode.

Kiley's article in Thursday's Trib is a fluff piece on the Sox?? Man, I must need some sleep:

Ah, the friendly confines of U.S. Cellular Field.

Come on out. The White Sox are having a heck of a first month without you.
I don't care if you come because this is "Dollar Dog Thursday" and the ballpark franks cost $1 each. Come on out.

I don't care if you come because the Sox are leading the American League in home runs and you want to see how many times the scoreboard goes ka-boom. Come on out.

I don't care if you come because Juan Uribe's batting average is up to .386 and you want to see if he can stay as hot as Ted Williams stays cold. Come on out.

I don't care if you come two hours late because you know the Sox will wait to win until you get there. Come on out.

Sox Give a Show Chicago Should Cheer (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-040428downey,1,2334254.column?coll=cs-home-utility)

WhiteSox = Life
04-29-2004, 01:28 AM
Cburns beat ya to it (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32480).

:smile:

SSN721
04-29-2004, 06:25 AM
Very nice little article. Definitely the type of thing that would appeal to the casual fan. Just simple things that show all the little positives of coming to US Comiskular Field. :D:

depy48
04-29-2004, 10:43 AM
Very well written and good article

Hangar18
04-29-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Caution: Hangar, your head might explode.

Kiley's article in Thursday's Trib is a fluff piece on the Sox?? Man, I must need some sleep:

Sox Give a Show Chicago Should Cheer (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-040428downey,1,2334254.column?coll=cs-home-utility)

It was Rick Downey, Not Mike Kiley. Somewhere, in a niteclub in StLouis, Mike Kiley is doubling over in pain for no apparent reason. I like this column by Downey, but he thinks hes slick, he gets a Back-Handed compliment to the SOX with this piece, but its good because It is Deserved. Had he written Something NOT MENTIONING Attendance, wouldve been good too.

SoxFan76
04-29-2004, 11:07 AM
I noticed the same thing Hangar. It was a nice article, but they have to play the attendance card again. Big deal, they brought in 12,000 on a WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON!

Unregistered
04-29-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
It was Rick Downey, Not Mike Kiley. Somewhere, in a niteclub in StLouis, Mike Kiley is doubling over in pain for no apparent reason. Right, Downey not Kiley. Actually MIKE Downey, not RICK Downey. My head hurts... :D:

Unregistered
04-29-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
Cburns beat ya to it (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32480).
Well played, CBurns. You win this round... :D:

Clembasbal
04-29-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
I noticed the same thing Hangar. It was a nice article, but they have to play the attendance card again. Big deal, they brought in 12,000 on a WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON!

Going off of the Afternoon attendance figures...here is a good quote that I saw today...

"Mike Veeck, in the Chicago Tribune, on how the White Sox should try to boost attendance: 'I would declare war on the Cubs. I would schedule all night games. I would never have a day game, pointing out the fact that we have to work on the South Side.' "

I like it because it makes fun of those bums.

soxrme
04-29-2004, 12:02 PM
I saw the column and was not happy about the attendance remarks after every good statement. Enough is enough :gulp:

pudge
04-29-2004, 12:49 PM
Is it just me, or does Downy consistently write about absolutely nothing?

I just don't think you can start asking fans to show up because of one miracle win in Apil (or several miracle wins for that matter). If this team can prove they're for real over a couple months, then I think you can start questioning why fans are not showing up.

Hey a couple nights ago it was rainy in Baltimore and the park was barren. And that's a team that spent a ton of money on free agents and is winning out of the gates.

TaylorStSox
04-29-2004, 01:14 PM
Does this whole thing sound tongue and cheek to you? It seems completely sarcastic and childish IMO.

mcfish
04-29-2004, 01:41 PM
It's not fair - Cheese isn't burdened by the extra weight of the toppings. It should have to be an extra cheese pizza:

"Wednesday's crowd was bored stiff for a couple of hours except by the pizza race on the scoreboard, won in a huge comeback by Cheese over Pepperoni and Sausage."

thecell
04-29-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by mcfish
It's not fair - Cheese isn't burdened by the extra weight of the toppings. It should have to be an extra cheese pizza:

"Wednesday's crowd was bored stiff for a couple of hours except by the pizza race on the scoreboard, won in a huge comeback by Cheese over Pepperoni and Sausage."

Welcome aboard! :gulp:

SpartanSoxFan
04-29-2004, 02:51 PM
It is nice to see someone who does not have a total hard-on for the Cubs (Read: MORONotti) who can write an article that is very matter-of -fact and favorable to the Sox. I think I know who my new favorite jornalist is!!! :)

inta
04-29-2004, 04:49 PM
it's a decent article.

but this is all i've wanted to see. just some sox coverage mentioning how well they've started off.

i wrote the moron about this and he just wrote back a dismissive letter about how i'm wrong because i'm "in the minority".

TornLabrum
04-29-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Right, Downey not Kiley. Actually MIKE Downey, not RICK Downey. My head hurts... :D:

Is he any relation to Mike Telander?