PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks the A.L. Central has a legit shot at the Wild Card?


SoxxoS
04-28-2004, 11:50 PM
Before anyone replies...I know it's early in the season.

It's pretty obvious that both us and the Twins are good teams. We are currently leading the A.L. Wild Card by a game over Baltimore.

The A.L. West is shaping up like the 4 teams can beat up on one another. I think all four of those teams are very equal, with the Angels having the slight advantage. But it's going to be a dogfight.

The A.L. East is an alleged two team race, but the Yanks don't impress me much. Their starting pitching is not coming along, and they are getting old. They are good, and Jeter and AROD aren't going to slump forever, but how good is their rotation going to be? Can they expect Brown to stay healthy the whole season? Plus, Baltimore looks like a scrappy team that can hit and pitch pretty well. Their rotation has some issues behind Ponson and Riley, but they aren't going down easy. Tampa Bay gives the Yankees fits and Toronto isn't going to slump forever. They have a solid 1 in Halladay, solid 2 in Lilly, and a solid 3 in Bautista. They aren't going down easy, either.

So that leaves us and the Twins. Let's face it...Detroit, Cleveland and K.C. might have the three worst bullpens in the major leagues. Seriously. It looking like we can handle these teams with Ozzie at the helm, not go into a deep sleep with the Tinkerer.

A LONG season ahead, but I think we have a legit chance to win the wild card if Minnesota wins the division. Anyone with me?

MRKARNO
04-28-2004, 11:51 PM
It'll be hard to fend off Chokeland or the Halos, but it's very possible.

It's not that hard to see the yanks missing the postseason

kermittheefrog
04-28-2004, 11:52 PM
I don't think the AL Central has a chance in hell of taking the wild card.

I think there are two separate AL races that look something like this.

3 playoff spots:
Oakland
Anaheim
New York
Boston

1 playoff spot:
Us
The Twins.

SoxxoS
04-28-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I don't think the AL Central has a chance in hell of taking the wild card.

I think there are two separate AL races that look something like this.

3 playoff spots:
Oakland
Anaheim
New York
Boston

1 playoff spot:
Us
The Twins.

Why? Remember how many times we play Cleveland, Detroit and K.C. That is 60 games against these three teams. Now, think of who those other divisons and which teams they need to play 20 times a year. That is a big advantage for us.

We were 9 games out of the Wild Card last year, when Boston won it. I think the Boston team of '03 is better than any of the A.L. teams in '04. So let's say the Wild Card wins 93 games? You don't think that is a feasible goal?

NonetheLoaiza
04-29-2004, 12:19 AM
given the strength of the east and west, i dont think there is anyway the wild card is going to come from the central. the yanks are bound to heat up. in any case, its way to early to tell. once the weather warms up, things should get clearer.

SoxxoS
04-29-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by NonetheLoaiza
given the strength of the east and west, i dont think there is anyway the wild card is going to come from the central. the yanks are bound to heat up. in any case, its way to early to tell. once the weather warms up, things should get clearer.

But "strength" isn't necessarily a "good" thing. It's common sense that says if you have to play more "strong" teams, you are going to lose more games than if you were to play "weak" teams.

All I know is we are 13% into the season and we are leading the Wild Card. :smile:

NonetheLoaiza
04-29-2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

All I know is we are 13% into the season and we are leading the Wild Card. :smile:

that is a great thing. the problem is that the sox tend to play down to their competition such as cleveland and detroit. if we could step that up and win 13 or 14 againts each, we will be in great position for the wild card.

Nard
04-29-2004, 12:40 AM
If the Yanks keep sucking it up then it's a possibility.

But I'm not too worried about it either way.

The Twins are on an incredible streak, but they're playing KC, Det, Cle, and now Toronto. People are getting all wound up because Minny has won these last two.

THEY ARE PLAYING THE TORONTO BLUE JAYS.

doublem23
04-29-2004, 03:22 AM
No. Way. In. Hell.

kermittheefrog
04-29-2004, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

We were 9 games out of the Wild Card last year, when Boston won it. I think the Boston team of '03 is better than any of the A.L. teams in '04. So let's say the Wild Card wins 93 games? You don't think that is a feasible goal?

So you think this years Boston team which is basically last years team plus Schilling and Foulke is weaker? And this years Yankee team which now has Alex Rodriguez, Kevin Brown and Javier Vazquez, isn't stronger than last year's Boston team? Don't be fooled by their starts to the season, we're looking at two of the best teams assembled in the last 10 years.

Realist
04-29-2004, 08:42 AM
I think we could very well be in the mix with Baltimore for the Wild Card. If the friggin' Twins EVER stumble, we'll take the division and Baltimore will skate with the Wild Card.

I predicted Boston and Baltimore to go 1-2 in the East and the New York Yankees to battle it out with Tampa Bay and Toronto for the center of the pack. So far I'm a genius but there's plenty of ball yet to be played.

Don't sell Baltimore short. My crystal ball tells me to prepare for a rematch of 1983 in October.

Remember Britt Burns!!

SoxxoS
04-29-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
So you think this years Boston team which is basically last years team plus Schilling and Foulke is weaker? And this years Yankee team which now has Alex Rodriguez, Kevin Brown and Javier Vazquez, isn't stronger than last year's Boston team? Don't be fooled by their starts to the season, we're looking at two of the best teams assembled in the last 10 years.

No. I think the Boston team of '04 is a lot stronger than the Boston team of '03, but I think Boston is going to win the division.

I think the '03 Boston's team is better than this year's most probable Wild Card team...the Yankees. You list the additions to the Yankees, but what about the losses of Pettite, Clemens and Soriano? Plus, they are a year older.

Frater Perdurabo
04-29-2004, 11:23 AM
We should not even worry about the Wild Card at this point. The Sox need to focus on winning consistently and winning the division, and all of our hopes need to be directed in this direction.

SoxFan76
04-29-2004, 11:33 AM
I don't know about any Central teams winning the wildcard, but give the Indians a few more years and they can be pretty good. They have a lot of talent on offense, and they are all young. The pitching is horrible, but they do have Jason Davis and C.C. I'd say they could be a contender again in a few years. But not this year, or any other central team for that matter...sorry.

pjthesox13
04-29-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Realist
I think we could very well be in the mix with Baltimore for the Wild Card. If the friggin' Twins EVER stumble, we'll take the division and Baltimore will skate with the Wild Card.

[/B]

Baltimore is much improved this year and this one might not be that far off. The Twins can be beaten folks! Their pitching is a little shaky so far as compard with other seasons.

My thoughts on races (In order of ranking):

AL West
Anaheim
Oakland

AL East
Boston
NYY (Absolutely LOVING the way they're playing now!)
Baltimore (very close to 2nd, if not flip flopped)

AL Central
SOX
Twins

CHISOXFAN13
04-29-2004, 12:47 PM
I just don't understand the love fest with Oakland. They lost their best player and top reliever from last season. I don't care how good their starting pitching is, they won't win that division and sure as hell won't win the WC.

Anaheim's is just as good and the lineups don't even compare.

In order for us to compete for the WC, I think the magic number of wins is between 92-95. I don't see that happening and expect the WC to come from the AL East again.

Hokiesox
04-29-2004, 01:54 PM
I'll let you know after I see the white sox in baltimore next weekend.

SoxxoS
04-29-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
In order for us to compete for the WC, I think the magic number of wins is between 92-95. I don't see that happening and expect the WC to come from the AL East again.

That is where we disagree. I have a lot of faith in this team. In this division, I think we are a 90-92 win team, RIGHT NOW. The key, however, is what moves is KW going to make in a couple of months? You know he is going to add someone...that will only help the team.

Obviously that is speculation, but we know KW can't go more than a few months without pulling the trigger on something.

All I am saying is that I am not that impressed with the Yankees, and they are the "favorite" for the Wild Card. The A.L. West is going to be a 4 team bloodbath where the division winner may only have 90-92 wins b/c they beat up on each other so much. I am not happy about us playing the N.L. East, but we will deal with it.

I am not saying it's LIKELY. But I think it could definitely happen.

jlh0023
04-29-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I don't think the AL Central has a chance in hell of taking the wild card.

I think there are two separate AL races that look something like this.

3 playoff spots:
Oakland
Anaheim
New York
Boston

1 playoff spot:
Us
The Twins.

This is the truth.... If by chance the Yankees don't make the post season (which they will (make it that is)) than the Oakland/Anaheim duo will take the wild card. They will have a tough time playing against each other in the West, but they're great teams.

SoxxoS
04-29-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by jlh0023
This is the truth.... If by chance the Yankees don't make the post season (which they will (make it that is)) than the Oakland/Anaheim duo will take the wild card. They will have a tough time playing against each other in the West, but they're great teams.

I don't know what is so great about Oakland...Anaheim is good, but Oakland doesn't impress me much.

OurBitchinMinny
04-29-2004, 08:38 PM
No chance in hell and AL central team gets a WC