PDA

View Full Version : Valentin, Uribe, Harris: a predicament?

starboy0
04-28-2004, 10:22 PM
Three guys , two positions. What do you do when Valentin gets healthy? How can you take the bat out of Uribe's hand? He's batting .352 (just heard the radio say .386) and has power besides! But do you want to take away Valentin's left handed bat? Without the offense has looked flat. Do you sit Harris down? How is he going to develop if he doesn't play every day? A lot of good players were not good instantly. His speed is a real asset. Look at today at that run down at 3rd. He was a jack rabbit! They couldn't tag him.

Platooning the answer?

MRKARNO
04-28-2004, 10:34 PM
You sit Harris because he is never going to be as valuable to the team as Valentin is now or as Uribe could be in the future.

JRIG
04-28-2004, 11:18 PM
Harris sits. Uribe plays 2B. Just as it should have been to start the season.

nodiggity59
04-28-2004, 11:20 PM
Frankly I wouldn't mind seeing Willie in center.

JC456
04-28-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by nodiggity59
Frankly I wouldn't mind seeing Willie in center.
Willie is no Center Fielder. Sorry!!! Harris sits or goes back to the minors.

stillz
04-28-2004, 11:29 PM
I really want Willie to have success, but I'd rather put the best team out there. Bench him.

CWSGuy406
04-28-2004, 11:35 PM
I'd put Uribe at 2nd till he cools down - is there really any other option?

Aaron Rowand on the other hand hasn't held his own, so perhaps a platoon at center might be in order. Ozzie's decision here.

SoxxoS
04-28-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
I'd put Uribe at 2nd till he cools down - is there really any other option?

Aaron Rowand on the other hand hasn't held his own, so perhaps a platoon at center might be in order. Ozzie's decision here.

Uribe should not be at 2nd until he "cools down" he should be there permanently. Harris is a "permanent cool down."

Jeremy Reed time is SLOOOOOWWWWLLLYYYYYY approaching. I am going to set an ETA of May 20th.

CWSGuy406
04-28-2004, 11:48 PM
I want to ask a question, but let me start off by saying that I really don't follow the minor leagues as much as I should. That being said:

Would it honestly be a wise move to move Reed up to the majors if, say, by June 1st, Rowand still isn't hitting consistently? I mean, you don't want to rush a kid, but if the kid could handle it (A la Miguel Cabrera), than he should be up here. I believe that if he has a good batting eye, he already should be able to be pretty successful.

SoxxoS
04-28-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
I want to ask a question, but let me start off by saying that I really don't follow the minor leagues as much as I should. That being said:

Would it honestly be a wise move to move Reed up to the majors if, say, by June 1st, Rowand still isn't hitting consistently? I mean, you don't want to rush a kid, but if the kid could handle it (A la Miguel Cabrera), than he should be up here. I believe that if he has a good batting eye, he already should be able to be pretty successful.

If he is over .340 by June 1st...IMO...he has proved all that he needs to show the Sox he can play in the majors. What more would the guy have to do? I would hate to "rush" anyone, but not if they proved over a period of time they can hit over .340 consistantly in the minors.

batmanZoSo
04-29-2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
If he is over .340 by June 1st...IMO...he has proved all that he needs to show the Sox he can play in the majors. What more would the guy have to do? I would hate to "rush" anyone, but not if they proved over a period of time they can hit over .340 consistantly in the minors.

Yeah if he keeps tearing up the league he's in what are we gonna do send him to AAAA? Timo or someone's gotta go. Or send Gload down to see what Reed can do. If he's ready, then trade Rowand.

ShoelessFred
04-29-2004, 12:13 AM
wasn't jeff abbott a .350 career hitter in the minors?

SoxxoS
04-29-2004, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by ShoelessFred

Jeff Abbott was going to be a very good player, had he not changed his swing. Hawk talks a lot about Abbott and his swing change on the broadcast. Hawk loved that guy.

SEALgep
04-29-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Yeah if he keeps tearing up the league he's in what are we gonna do send him to AAAA? Timo or someone's gotta go. Or send Gload down to see what Reed can do. If he's ready, then trade Rowand. Sending Gload down would be a mistake, he's not the guy. Most likely Timo would have to go somewhere unless a trade was made.

bestkosher
04-29-2004, 08:36 AM
although I do love Uribe at 2b when valentine comes back, I question his deense there. When he and willie were platooning there Uribe was not as sharp at 2B as he was at SS. Personally I would like to see Valenitine and Harris sit and try Kelly at 2b. Have Harris sit in AAA for a bit and work on his bunting.

24thStFan
04-29-2004, 09:12 AM
Uribe should be leading off. Use Harris as a pinch runner in the late innings and occasionally in CF platooning with Rowand and Perez.

pjthesox13
04-29-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by 24thStFan
Uribe should be leading off. Use Harris as a pinch runner in the late innings and occasionally in CF platooning with Rowand and Perez.

Uribe is a dead on lock to play when Valentin comes back. In CF, I think maybe you do give Timo more chances, Rowand hasn't dazzled us, Reed is almost ready to come up but Timo could do some good out there in the short term (or long term) I just feel he needs to get more starts.

bobj4400
04-29-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by starboy0
Three guys , two positions. What do you do when Valentin gets healthy? How can you take the bat out of Uribe's hand? He's batting .352 (just heard the radio say .386) and has power besides! But do you want to take away Valentin's left handed bat? Without the offense has looked flat. Do you sit Harris down? How is he going to develop if he doesn't play every day? A lot of good players were not good instantly. His speed is a real asset. Look at today at that run down at 3rd. He was a jack rabbit! They couldn't tag him.

Platooning the answer?

You sit Harris b/c he will never be able to hit ML pitching...

He is a track kid trying to play baseball.

Frater Perdurabo
04-29-2004, 11:26 AM
I have a hunch that all three will see significant playing time this season. Of course I want to ride Uribe's hot streak at 2B for as long as possible when Valentin comes back. I've not given up on Harris' ability to someday become a decent #9 hitter and good defensive second baseman, though, and we never know when the injury bug will bite.

jeremyb1
04-29-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by ShoelessFred

Yeah but he didn't advance as quickly as Reed, demonstrate as much plate discipline, or hit .400 at any point.

Lip Man 1
04-29-2004, 01:55 PM
You play Uribe at second until he cools off. Hopefully the Sox stay in contention and have a shot at getting Jose Vidro then for the stretch run. If not Uribe keeps playing.

Willie Harris goes back down to Triple A until he can learn how to hit.

Lip

MeanFish
04-29-2004, 01:58 PM
I think the big issue is that Willie Harris can't learn to hit in AAA. He has to learn to do it here. I honestly think he's closer than people give him credit for. I just wish he'd stop trying to be Juan Pierre. When he just tries for singles he has mild success at it.

Mickster
04-29-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
You play Uribe at second until he cools off. Hopefully the Sox stay in contention and have a shot at getting Jose Vidro then for the stretch run. If not Uribe keeps playing.

Willie Harris goes back down to Triple A until he can learn how to hit.

Lip

Agree to all including Vidro (been saying it for months and beating the drum even louder since Montreal has been off to a horrible start). If you get Vidro, do you let Uribe play SS and have Valentin off the bench? Would love the depth....

34 Inch Stick
04-29-2004, 02:13 PM
If the Sox are going to sign Maggs, Harris will have to be your everyday secondbaseman next year. He has to platoon at 2B this year.

There will be plenty of playing time for Willie this year. Valentin has a history of hamstring trouble and Frank is definitely gimpy. If either of these two get on base after the 7th inning they should be replaced with a pinch runner. I would be suprised if Willie did not make an appearance in the late innings of just about every game.

pjthesox13
04-29-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Mickster
Agree to all including Vidro (been saying it for months and beating the drum even louder since Montreal has been off to a horrible start). If you get Vidro, do you let Uribe play SS and have Valentin off the bench? Would love the depth....

Either have Valentin off the bench or he might have to go to make the deal.

Lip Man 1
04-29-2004, 02:24 PM
Home Fish says: "He has to learn to do it here."

If the Sox are a 'rebuilding' team that's fine....but if you consider the Sox a 'contender' (even in the A.L. Comedy Central) then how many games are you willing to risk losing until he does learn?

Lip

jlh0023
04-29-2004, 03:15 PM
Go to batting practice early, and have Willie face off against every pitcher on our roster. He can hit (.304 in AAA), he just can't hit major league pitchers.... and until he learns, use him sparingly. A big league game is not the time to learn to hit.

If he could learn to slap a shot into shallow left he would dominate, because third basemen play him so far in.

MeanFish
04-29-2004, 03:29 PM
nonono, not HomeFish. I'm way meaner than HomeFish :D:

-MeanFish

P.S.-For real, I'm a completely different person.