PDA

View Full Version : A good KW story

Viva Magglio
04-28-2004, 10:16 PM
I don't know if this has already been posted (forgive my laziness), but I was driving to class tonight with the Score on. I heard a caller tell North and Buffone that he pulled his kids out of school for today's game and everything. Immediately, I thought this was yet another petty complaint about the experience at USCF. However, it turned out that it was the complete opposite.

The caller said that Kenny Williams approached his kids and offered them a tour of the Sox clubhouse. George Ofman, the Score reporter covering the game, vogued for this. The kids got to meet Sox players including Mágglio Ordóńez, and it was like Christmas Day to them.

That is a feel good story if there ever was one.

SEALgep
04-28-2004, 10:25 PM
That is a good story, glad to hear it. :smile:

SoxxoS
04-28-2004, 11:39 PM
Then, he asked them to dinner, where he flipped over the table and started screaming at the kid for no reason.

CubKilla
04-29-2004, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Then, he asked them to dinner, where he flipped over the table and started screaming at the kid for no reason.

LMAO!!!!!

:D: :D: :D: :D: :D: :D: :D: :D: :D: :D:

pinwheels3530
04-29-2004, 01:19 AM
It's good to read some positive threads for once!

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-29-2004, 01:25 AM
These are the types of things that the white sox need to do to attract the casual family with a few kids to the park. Good story to hear, it's unfortunate that most people will never hear about the good things that the sox organization do.

SSN721
04-29-2004, 08:49 AM
Was KDub just walking around the park and saw them to invite them to see the clubhouse? I beleive the story I guess I am just curious how the family and KW met up in the first place.

wdelaney72
04-29-2004, 10:47 AM
Good job K-dub. Keep it coming.

He's made his mistakes, but this season
1) Uribe
2) Pollite
3) Schoenweis

Eat Koch's salary and ship him off to a non-contender and KW will have hit through the cycle.

Clarkdog
04-29-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Viva Magglio
I don't know if this has already been posted (forgive my laziness), but I was driving to class tonight with the Score on. I heard a caller tell North and Buffone that he pulled his kids out of school for today's game and everything. Immediately, I thought this was yet another petty complaint about the experience at USCF. However, it turned out that it was the complete opposite.

The caller said that Kenny Williams approached his kids and offered them a tour of the Sox clubhouse. George Ofman, the Score reporter covering the game, vogued for this. The kids got to meet Sox players including Mágglio Ordóńez, and it was like Christmas Day to them.

That is a feel good story if there ever was one.

Burston-Marsteller (a large Chicago PR firm) was recently hired to help with the Sox image problem. This has their name all over it. Likely there is an initiative in place to connect the team with fans with one of kind chance encounters. Not covered by the media, but spread by word of mouth through sports talk radio.

Don't be surprised to hear about Sox players or Ozzie showing up at little legaue games in the western and south suburbs this summer in unscheduled appearances.

steff
04-29-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by SSN721
Was KDub just walking around the park and saw them to invite them to see the clubhouse? I beleive the story I guess I am just curious how the family and KW met up in the first place.

He walks around a lot. We see him all the time roaming by the HOF store behing home plate.

Brian26
04-29-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by steff
He walks around a lot. We see him all the time roaming by the HOF store behing home plate.

:KW

"Damn bitches in the HOF store give Robin a whole locker on display and I can't even get a signed Kenny Williams baseball card on the wall. I feel like flippin' over a Churros stand!"

npdempse
04-29-2004, 01:20 PM
Can somebody remind me what the flipping-over-tables reference is about?

jeremyb1
04-29-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

That was probably the hardest I've ever laughed at something posted on this board.

Brian26
04-29-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
Can somebody remind me what the flipping-over-tables reference is about?

I might have the facts slighty skewed on this...maybe someone can check my memory.

In 2002, right after we fired Gary Ward as the hitting coach, it was reported that several White Sox players were found sitting in the lockerroom watching a movie (Meet the Parents?) instead of taking extra batting practice. This was around the time the team was lethargic after the hot start.

KW found out about this, and in an effort to fire some of these guys up, he (allegedley) flipped over a buffet table and called some guys out.

I feel like it's bad karma to even talk about it since the team is seemingly doing well right now, but it still remains a funny story. The word "bitches" (allegedley) came out of KW's mouth.

Also- I think one of the guys watching the movie was Lofton, which is one of the reason I have no love lost for the guy.

SSN721
04-29-2004, 01:44 PM

Thats pretty cool, never seen him there. Is he usually pretty approachable or just kinda minding his own business most of the time?

steff
04-29-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by SSN721
Thats pretty cool, never seen him there. Is he usually pretty approachable or just kinda minding his own business most of the time?

He runs the other way when he sees me.. I have no idea why he does that. :?:

:D:

Lip Man 1
04-29-2004, 01:57 PM
Actually I remember reading references about it in regards to the Sox blowing another brain dead game to Baltimore at home. kenny went nuts afterwards.

Lip

Unregistered
04-29-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I feel like it's bad karma to even talk about it since the team is seemingly doing well right now, but it still remains a funny story. The word "bitches" (allegedley) came out of KW's mouth. If memory serves, the quote was something about the team being ''a bunch of bitches and mother ****ers.'' I remember only cause when trying to picture KW saying that phrase, it always cracked me up.

I now use it whenever the Sox are playing like anything resembling the "corpseball" era. :D:

SoxxoS
04-29-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
That was probably the hardest I've ever laughed at something posted on this board.

I try jeremy :D:

SpartanSoxFan
04-29-2004, 03:43 PM
I have to say I think Kenny Williams is a good guy for the most part. My parents were in Florida for vacation recently and they made it to one of the Tampa Bay/White Sox games at Tropicana Field. They got pretty good seats because no one goes to those games at all and you can walk right up and get seats right behind home plate (and you think we have attendance issues....hehe). Anyway, the ended up sitting immmediately behind Kenny Williams, and my mom struck up a conversation with him. He ended up signing a pennant for me. My parents basically said he was a nice guy, but very intense about the game.

LASOXFAN
04-29-2004, 04:16 PM
Last season when the Sox were in LA playing the Dodgers Frank jacked a 3-run dinger that pretty much sealed the game and broke the big man out of a slump. I was sitting 20 rows or so behind the plate and all the sudden KW comes running past us up the aisle whooping it up and heading back to the clubhouse (I presume). He was sitting right behind the plate, apparently. Everyone around us was kind of like, "who's the Sox fan in the gray business suit and why is he so excited?"

If you'll remember that's the series where they finally started to turn things around a bit after a disastrous stop in Arizona and Toronto (I think).

It was very cool to see so much enthusiasm.

nasox
04-29-2004, 05:34 PM
KW is a good guy. anybody remember when his two kids got in trouble with the law in North Carolina (i think). Apparently, this didn't tarnish his reputation too much. Of course, everybody deserves a few chances and they were his kids that screwed up, not himself
yes, yes, that was totally pointless

NonetheLoaiza
04-29-2004, 05:43 PM
He is a pretty approachable guy. I saw him pull into a gas station in Bolingbrook right after we traded for Alomar and Everett. I noticed it was him standing in line ahead of me, and I told him in so many words how good the trades were. He was very polite, saying thank you and thanks for supporting the team and whatnot. But he was not at all standoffish, so to speak.

DaveIsHere
04-29-2004, 06:08 PM
I know that he lives in plainfiels, which isn't far from me, that would be cool to come across and tell hime thanks for all the efforts

steff
04-29-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by DaveIsHere
I know that he lives in plainfiels, which isn't far from me, that would be cool to come across and tell hime thanks for all the efforts

Right down the road from me (not for much longer though). To be honest.. he's a good guy outside of his baseball.

StillMissOzzie
04-30-2004, 01:27 AM
Right down the road from me (not for much longer though). To be honest.. he's a good guy outside of his baseball.

So that explains the "turns and runs in the other direction..." reference earlier?

SMO

steff
04-30-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
So that explains the "turns and runs in the other direction..." reference earlier?

SMO

After I scolded him at SF this year he just smiles and walks opposite from me now. It's quite amusing.