PDA

View Full Version : 20 games in .....

idseer
04-28-2004, 07:15 PM
i think enough games have been played to at least see something of what this team is all about.

12 & 8 with 12 of those games against the yankees and kc, who are both coming off winning seasons. a record topped at this time by only 2 teams in the american league! how could ANYone not be happy with the results so far? with the way this team was shaping up no one had any right to expect .500 ball from this team this year with the starting pitching being downgraded, the relief staff very suspect, konerko looking finished, magglio rumored to be gone, no significant acquisitions, not resigning alomar or everett, and a new manager many here thought was the worst choice of a lousy lot.

these guys have already made more exciting late comebacks than i saw from a JM team in the last 2 years! 12 and 8 and they're still not really firing on all cylinders.

so far ... they rate an absolute 'A'! and yet i still see the dumbest comments about this team. that they play corpseball or oz is making all these mistakes ... as if most of you would know a mistake if it bit you. :D:

i don't know about y'all, but from where i sit the season looks like it will be exciting and that the sox will be in the hunt. that's more than i had expected based on this past offseason.

go sox!

SoxFan76
04-28-2004, 07:18 PM
My only complaint is that the small ball has dropped drastically. That was all you saw at the beginning of the year, and now they seem to be relying on the big inning again. Ozzie needs to go back to the hit and runs and sacrifice bunts/hits. The Sox lead the AL in home runs, which isn't bad, but I'd rather see them get 1 or 2 runs consistently over the course of a game rather than 5 runs in the bottom of the ninth like today.

batmanZoSo
04-28-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
I'd rather see them get 1 or 2 runs consistently over the course of a game rather than 5 runs in the bottom of the ninth like today.

Don't worry, you probably won't see that again for years. But your point is well taken.

Brian26
04-28-2004, 08:00 PM
On pace for a 97-65 record.

I'll take it. Might win us the Central by a game or two. :D:

ma-gaga
04-29-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
On pace for a 97-65 record.

I'll take it. Might win us the Central by a game or two. :D:

you know the Mets were on pace for a 100 win season two years ago. I don't know what happened? Apparently they made them play the other 142 games...

voodoochile
04-29-2004, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
you know the Mets were on pace for a 100 win season two years ago. I don't know what happened? Apparently they made them play the other 142 games...

19 of them that matter most from the way the ALC is shaping up. Sox owe your boys a little something something.

It's nice the team is playing 9 innings which almost never happened these past few years. It is nice the Sox starters have been better than expected and that the bullpen has shown some signs of being competent.

It is nice that Ozzie seems to be learning from his mistakes and that he is not afraid to test the players when they seem ready for one (Adkins in the 10th - win or lose it was the right decision based on past performance).

I wish the outfield would come in a couple of steps and that Ozzie would let other bullpen pitchers than Politte work more than one innings. Other than that, I am very happy with the team after 20 games.

I do hope that when Jose comes back he gets the starting SS job, Uribe goes to 2B and leadoff and Harris gets to come off the bench or play CF if Rowand continuest to slump.

24thStFan
04-29-2004, 07:37 AM
I'll take the .600 winning percentage!

I think we need to look at a new leadoff hitter (Uribe?) and I'd like to see Perez, Gload, and Dransfeldt get some more playing time until Frank, Carlos and Valentin get hot (the weather is getting warmer up there someday, right?)

If the starting pitching and bullpen can keep up the pace they established in these first 20 games, this team is playoff bound.

Go Sox!

SSN721
04-29-2004, 07:42 AM
I have to see how this team matches up with Minnesota before I decide on how good this team is. I guess just looking at who we have played up until this point, I am happy with the record but felt we havent played who is supposed to be a good team yet. I know the Yankees and Royals were predicted to do well, but I never really had much faith the Royals were gonna be great because of their pitching and we played a Yankee team who has not hit their stride yet. I love the heart of this team, the comebacks are great. If we can truly get the Twins monkey off our back this year then it is our division I think. I love how all the offseason pickups have worked out, how can I not be pleased with Uribe, he is just playing great ball. ANd I still am ready to give Harris a little more time to see if he can completely come around. But hopefully if the Sox can maintain this winning percentage through May I will be very pleased, it always seems like a month this team tanks it and plays poorly. If we can be in first or a couple out after May i will be ecstatic.

batmanZoSo
04-29-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by 24thStFan
I'll take the .600 winning percentage!

I think we need to look at a new leadoff hitter (Uribe?) and I'd like to see Perez, Gload, and Dransfeldt get some more playing time until Frank, Carlos and Valentin get hot (the weather is getting warmer up there someday, right?)

If the starting pitching and bullpen can keep up the pace they established in these first 20 games, this team is playoff bound.

Go Sox!

It doesn't seem like we've been playing .600 ball. If you do that a whole year you'll win 100 games, but right now at 12-8 it doesn't seem that impressive.

jlh0023
04-29-2004, 06:34 PM
I like what i'm seeing in general, it just hurts to know that we could've had an even better record, with some of those losses. and kc and ny, who came off winning seasons are also both having disgusting starts and we could've beaten em more.