PDA

View Full Version : This just in . . . Juan Uribe is good

maurice
04-28-2004, 05:37 PM
He was 3-for-3 today with a BB, a 2B, and a HR, raising his AVE to .386 and his OPS to 1.032! Not bad for a guy whose career numbers before joining the Sox were .258 / .706. While he can't keep up this torrid pace all season, it looks like the change of scenery did him some good.

In other news:
- The Sox have the baseball magic this season with another cardiac comeback and another one-run win
- Frank reached base twice in two chances, putting his walk total at 18 and his OBP at .466!
- Crede continues to show signs of breaking out of his early slump; he went 3-for-5 with a HR, 2 runs scored, and 2 RBI, and has six hits in the past two games
- Maggs has HRs in back-to-back games and 18 RBI on the season
- The Sox pen posted 3.2 innings of 1 hit, 0 BB, shutout work today
- Despite some rough innings recently, the Sox have far and away the best pitching in the division so far, and the most HRs in the AL

jackbrohamer
04-28-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by maurice
While he can't keep up this torrid pace all season, it looks like the change of scenery did him some good.

He won't keep hitting .386 but he's only 24 so he may have a big upside

SoxxoS
04-28-2004, 07:00 PM
From what I remember reading...didn't Juan Uribe have more "win shares" than AROD last year?

Deadguy
04-28-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
From what I remember reading...didn't Juan Uribe have more "win shares" than AROD last year?

Juan had 9 last year, AROD had 32.

http://www.baseballgraphs.com/winshares/nlwinteam.html#col
http://www.baseballgraphs.com/winshares/alwinteam.html#tex

I'm sure he has PayRod beat so far this year.

batmanZoSo
04-28-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
He won't keep hitting .386 but he's only 24 so he may have a big upside

I'm pretty sure he's 25, but I could be wrong as well. But either one is still young and he has good tools to work with. He's a plus fielder and has plus power for a middle infielder (look at me using scout lingo). He's also got decent speed, but it doesn't translate into steals at all. We can live with that though. He can score from first on a double and move to third on a single.

guillen4life13
04-28-2004, 07:30 PM
Uribe is good, but as has been said, he can't be expected to keep this torrid pace.

I do like him in instead of Manos or Harris though.

And with regards to his age, he might be 28 .

SEALgep
04-28-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
I'm pretty sure he's 25, but I could be wrong as well. But either one is still young and he has good tools to work with. He's a plus fielder and has plus power for a middle infielder (look at me using scout lingo). He's also got decent speed, but it doesn't translate into steals at all. We can live with that though. He can score from first on a double and move to third on a single. Uribe can steal bases.

ma_deuce
04-28-2004, 07:40 PM
Uribe is good. Damn good.

Deuce

batmanZoSo
04-28-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Uribe can steal bases.

He has 19 steals in his three MLB seasons. I guess your statement isn't wrong, but neither was mine.

mweflen
04-29-2004, 12:37 AM
Harris' speed hasn't translated into SB's, either.

But wait - he has to actually REACH BASE first...

seriously, though, he seems to get some bad jumps.

Uribe seems to be an adequate baserunner. No Carl Crawford, but at least Manos level.

whitesoxwilkes
04-29-2004, 08:51 AM
I brought this up when Manos went on the DL, and I'll asy it again...I'm ready for Uribe to be an everyday player. Question is..who does he replace, Jose or Wee Willie?

Jose has some value on the open market if we were to trade him. I'll miss his heart and guts, but he is not worth what we're paying him.

Willie is a good pinch runner, and that's really about it. He's hitting a little better lately, but we still need more pop in that leadoff spot.

Dadawg_77
04-29-2004, 09:06 AM
It is way to early to make to strong of judgments yet. But it is looking good.

wdelaney72
04-29-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
Jose has some value on the open market if we were to trade him. I'll miss his heart and guts, but he is not worth what we're paying him.

Jose has a very favorable contract for a trade. I don't think KW will be willing to give up on Willie just yet.

Uribe has been a nice surprise. I was very upset about Tony G. leaving, but Uribe is making me feel a whole let better about it.

Clembasbal
04-29-2004, 09:47 AM
Uribe is, according to his Visa, is 24. And yes he is awesome and having a great year so far.

I do remember why he was so easy to get though, teams compared him to D'Angelo Jiminez in baseball terms.

Uribe has not been showing that so I am assuming that Guillen is doing some good there, but I have seen him be lazy in the field...in fact was it not the first home game or one around that, when he dropped an easy fly? (Although every time since then I have seen him use two hands)

He is great, do not get me wrong, but if he does show laziness I will be upset if we got rid of Manos...and at least Wee Willie hustles every damn thing out (even though he sucks).

Iwritecode
04-29-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Clembasbal
Uribe is, according to his Visa, is 24. And yes he is awesome and having a great year so far.

I do remember why he was so easy to get though, teams compared him to D'Angelo Jiminez in baseball terms.

Uribe has not been showing that so I am assuming that Guillen is doing some good there, but I have seen him be lazy in the field...in fact was it not the first home game or one around that, when he dropped an easy fly? (Although every time since then I have seen him use two hands)

He is great, do not get me wrong, but if he does show laziness I will be upset if we got rid of Manos...and at least Wee Willie hustles every damn thing out (even though he sucks).

He was somewhat compared to Jiminez because people said he was lazy and didn't want to learn how to speak english. I think being on a team where half the players and coaching staff are latin has helped.

And yes, it was opening day where he dropped an easy pop-up...

Paulwny
04-29-2004, 10:00 AM
Time to give Walker some credit. During the yankmee series, J. Kaat mentioned that Walker was working hard with Uribe, changing his stance and teaching him the Lau method of hitting.

batmanZoSo
04-29-2004, 05:57 PM
It's no question you play Uribe and Jose. Willie sits.

jlh0023
04-29-2004, 06:31 PM
YAY....Juan Uribe's on a roll. Sorry to burst your bubble's but unfortunately the chances of him continuing to play even a fraction of the way he's been is not to hot. I'd love it if he could maintain a .280ish average this season, but his history points more towards .250. We can all just pray that his april doesn't end.

Also I don't think it would hurt to teach him to take a walk

SEALgep
04-29-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by jlh0023
YAY....Juan Uribe's on a roll. Sorry to burst your bubble's but unfortunately the chances of him continuing to play even a fraction of the way he's been is not to hot. I'd love it if he could maintain a .280ish average this season, but his history points more towards .250. We can all just pray that his april doesn't end.

Also I don't think it would hurt to teach him to take a walk He's walked enough, including a walk off walk. History isn't always a good indicator, the guy has obviously matured. He has a lot of talent and it is starting to show more now. He hasn't given any indication that this a fluke, so how about cutting the guy a break. At least wait until he cools off. This guy has talent though. Strong arm, soft hands, has shown good strike zone judgement, and hits absolute lazers.

jlh0023
04-29-2004, 06:58 PM
he is still young and i hope this isn't a fluke, but i don't want to set myself up to be disappointed

batmanZoSo
04-29-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
He's walked enough, including a walk off walk. History isn't always a good indicator, the guy has obviously matured. He has a lot of talent and it is starting to show more now. He hasn't given any indication that this a fluke, so how about cutting the guy a break. At least wait until he cools off. This guy has talent though. Strong arm, soft hands, has shown good strike zone judgement, and hits absolute lazers.

The guy's only 24 as someone pointed out. I thought he was 25. He could become one of the best shortstops in the league. You never know.

nasox
04-29-2004, 07:36 PM
and this could develop into a huge steal for KW, the kinda trade we've been waiting for him to make. I mean miles for Uribe? miles was good (as in had good potential) but I feel Uribe has the ability, scenery, mentality, attitude, just about every aspect you could ask for to mature into a solid all star caliber player

well, looking at that statement, it seems kinda like im counting my chickens, but i feel that strongly about him. i feel he could be good, damn good.

all we need is a little luck, i guess. And I hope he stays injury free. But so far, i am very impressed!