PDA

View Full Version : Sox Fans - Always Make Excuses!

BeerHandle
04-28-2004, 05:20 PM
I'm a huge WSI and Sox Fan. However, I have heard nothing but excuses on this message board about why fans won't go to the game.

1. JR
2. Cold weather
3. Rain
4. Cubs dominate media
5. We don't have a winning team
6. Park is in a bad location
7. No bars
8. etc.

The fact of the matter is that for the most part Sox fans are lazy, apathetic and cheap.

Get your butts off your couch and go to a game. If you were not there today, you missed a great game in beautiful weather!

GO SOX!

soltrain21
04-28-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
I'm a huge WSI and Sox Fan. However, I have heard nothing but excuses on this message board about why fans won't go to the game.

1. JR
2. Cold weather
3. Rain
4. Cubs dominate media
7. No bars
8. etc.

The fact of the matter is that for the most part Sox fans are lazy, apathetic and cheap.

Get your butts off your couch and go to a game. If you were not there today, you missed a great game in beautiful weather!

GO SOX!

The horse is already dead...I am getting sick of Sox fan's COMPLAINING about attendence, so I guess it evens out.

delben91
04-28-2004, 05:22 PM
I would've been there in a heartbeat today. Only one problem. I live in Delaware.

Kadafi311
04-28-2004, 05:26 PM
I would've been there in a heartbeat today. Only one problem. I live in Delaware.

Haha, amen brother.

faneidde
04-28-2004, 05:28 PM
I usually get up to about 2 games a year or so. Just don't have the money or the time (3 hour drive) to see anymore.

On a side note, the Sox are 11-0 in games I've been too.

jackbrohamer
04-28-2004, 05:29 PM
[i]Get your butts off your couch and go to a game. If you were not there today, you missed a great game in beautiful weather! [/B]

Preachin' to the choir

chisoxmike
04-28-2004, 05:30 PM
I can't ditch everday of class, especially in the last weeks.

voodoochile
04-28-2004, 05:31 PM
:threadsucks

nodiggity59
04-28-2004, 05:40 PM
Bottom line, go to the games folks. It'll only help them and God knows you'll enjoy it.

BeerHandle
04-28-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

I knew you would hit me with this. I know you are a huge fan and I know a lot of people on this board are outside the Chicago area.

The million dollar question is: WHEN WILL THE FANS COME OUT?

jackbrohamer
04-28-2004, 06:03 PM
[i]The million dollar question is: WHEN WILL THE FANS COME OUT? [/B]

Something I'm not going to worry about. I had a great time at the game & didn't care about the attendance.

pinwheels3530
04-28-2004, 06:13 PM
Beerhandle is right go the games when and if you get the chance but don't make excuses. If your working or don't have the money then it's very understandable I am not trying to disrespect any one here, but some of the people that complain ( "I am going to call the sox bluff and not renew my season tickets cause I only wanted to go to the all star game, but I am kicking my self for not getting the starting 9 package because I can't see the cubs" Hangar 18) should just stop and go to the game it's a beautiful experience on the south side!

pearso66
04-28-2004, 06:15 PM
BEing a broke college student, I can't make many games, granted I'm in MI but when I'm home, and I have $15 to my name and i need to save up for school, but sorry going to a sox game just has to wait. Hopefully after I get a full tiem job, I can afford to go to more games, maybe i'll get season tickets, but until that time, I am forced to sit and watch the game at home.

voodoochile
04-28-2004, 06:16 PM
I knew you would hit me with this. I know you are a huge fan and I know a lot of people on this board are outside the Chicago area.

When the Sox win consistently and JR proves he cares more about winning than anything else.

Don't judge attendance by a cold April afternoon game either.

blueeyes33
04-28-2004, 06:21 PM
ok im sorry but am i the only guy who gets free tickets ALL THE TIME. im sorry but they are passing these things out like a project hoe with a bad case of the clap.everyone at my work. all my friends.etc etc. i think ive only paid maybe 3 times in my life.

alot of the time i got tickets i cant even use because of my BUSY BUSY schedule.

so if your reason is you cant afford it.lemme know and ill hook you up next time i got some i cant go to.

NonetheLoaiza
04-28-2004, 06:35 PM
exactly where are they passing them out?

also, prices sure were raised this year to pretty ridiculous amounts for a family of say, 4 to go to a game. i try my best to get out to 15 games or so a year, but i know not everyone can make even half of that because of the price. i try to go for the half price days and with discounts. the fact is that alot of people cant afford to go. but enough already, this topic has become really really old.

OurBitchinMinny
04-28-2004, 06:35 PM
I agree. The twins dont draw either, but they have an excuse, but they still are drawing better than the sox so far. Comiskey is a great park. Everytime I go to chicago I go to 2 or 3 games. I love the sox and hope to live back in chicago someday. Its hard to watch all the crap they take in the chicago and national media, that is if they are not being ignored. I know they will if they keep winning, but itd be nice to see them draw early in the season

SouthSideHitman
04-28-2004, 06:36 PM
I go to as many games as I can given my lack of income and the fact that as a student, I can't go out most weeknights in April, May and September but you know what, who cares? I'm so sick of hearing about attendence, I could puke. All real Sox fans will go to the games they can and anyone else who makes their way out to the park is gravy. To all those people who don't care about the team and would rather watch the cubs get mauled by the Dbacks or whatever, I say "screw you". I mean if there's only 200,000 or 20,000 or 200 people who really care about the team, then fine. Let's us who care make our precense felt as often as possible and let the attendence thing blow by. Success will bring out the fans sooner or later and till then, let's not worry about the attendence, we don't need to bus in Iowans for our fun.

And blueeyes33, I'll take free tickets to Sox games off your hands for just about any weekend game if you got 'em. E-mail me at jmtryno@comcast.net

BeerHandle
04-28-2004, 06:39 PM
Fans are there to support the team and not worry about the owners! Fans give energy to the players. I believe a Sox player said that after Sundays game. SUPPORT THE TEAM!

zach23
04-28-2004, 06:40 PM

1. JR
2. Cold weather
3. Rain
4. Cubs dominate media
7. No bars
8. etc.

GO SOX!

If I remember right, you said you were going to be in section 161 today right? I was in 162. By any chance were you talking to a guy wearing a home white jersey with glasses and a Sox hat on the way up the stairs after the game?

minastirith67
04-28-2004, 06:44 PM
I agree with the poster of this thread. Cub fans are putting us to shame as Sox fans can only make excuses. Granted, people do work and/or go to school, but more people should go out to the ballpark on such a beautiful breezy afternoon.

If I wouldn't have had class at 1, I would have gone in a heartbeat.

Mickster
04-28-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by minastirith67
I agree with the poster of this thread. Cub fans are putting us to shame as Sox fans can only make excuses. Granted, people do work and/or go to school, but more people should go out to the ballpark on such a beautiful breezy afternoon.

If I wouldn't have had class at 1, I would have gone in a heartbeat.

Excuses...Excuses...

MarqSox
04-28-2004, 06:52 PM
When the Sox win consistently and JR proves he cares more about winning than anything else.

I'm guessing the players could give a rip WHY the fans aren't there ... only that they aren't there.

If the White Sox are Jerry Reinsdorf, then point taken. If the White Sox are Frank Thomas, Magglio Ordonez, Carlos Lee, Esteban Loaiza, Mark Buehrle, Paul Konerko, etc., then your argument is moot.

Personally, the players are the White Sox, IMO. That the money ends up going to JR is just an inconvenient side effect.

MRKARNO
04-28-2004, 06:56 PM
NAAT

(Not Another Attendence Thread)

voodoochile
04-28-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I'm guessing the players could give a rip WHY the fans aren't there ... only that they aren't there.

If the White Sox are Jerry Reinsdorf, then point taken. If the White Sox are Frank Thomas, Magglio Ordonez, Carlos Lee, Esteban Loaiza, Mark Buehrle, Paul Konerko, etc., then your argument is moot.

Personally, the players are the White Sox, IMO. That the money ends up going to JR is just an inconvenient side effect.

Until they ask for too much money and then they are gone too...

I notice the only pitchers you mention are either cheap for their production or still Sox property. Think maybe that has something to do with it?

When the Sox start acting like a big league club the fans will come out. Plain and simple. In the mean time, I think it is moot to complain about attendance on a Sox fan site. All of the people who read and post here are going to as many games as they can afford to and have time for.

batmanZoSo
04-28-2004, 07:11 PM

1. JR
2. Cold weather
3. Rain
4. Cubs dominate media
7. No bars
8. etc.

GO SOX!

I have a good excuse not to go. They lose every freakin time I do go. For the team's sake you all should hope I don't ever get season tickets.

Look at my signature, that's my Comiskey going career in a nutshell. My all time winning percentage is in the low 3's. Even in 2000, I went six times and they won once. That was a team that played 580 ball at home.

Most people like to go when a good team's in town, I don't. I pick the crappiest teams to go see so I can see a win. Maybe I should 86 that strategy cause it ain't workin.

cheeses_h_rice
04-28-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
NAAT

Official tag?

MRKARNO
04-28-2004, 07:28 PM
But that says attention, not attendence

cheeses_h_rice
04-28-2004, 07:30 PM
But that says attention, not attendence

Fixed.

D'oh!

batmanZoSo
04-28-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by blueeyes33
ok im sorry but am i the only guy who gets free tickets ALL THE TIME. im sorry but they are passing these things out like a project hoe with a bad case of the clap.everyone at my work. all my friends.etc etc. i think ive only paid maybe 3 times in my life.

You're not. I got free tickets last night, and I got another pair comin to me tomorrow, what date I don't know yet.

You just gotta ask around, and you'll get em. I can't wait til I enter the business world because it's just a haven of free sox tickets. I think all bosses take it upon themselves to keep stacks of soon-to-be-unused tickets in their desks, it's like a requirement for them lol. My dad gets at least two sets a year behind third from his boss. I'm working for a guy now that has season tickets and I should get a handful of games out of that deal.

MRKARNO
04-28-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Fixed.

D'oh!

Looks good now!

I really wish I knew how to use photoshop

BeerHandle
04-28-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by zach23
If I remember right, you said you were going to be in section 161 today right? I was in 162. By any chance were you talking to a guy wearing a home white jersey with glasses and a Sox hat on the way up the stairs after the game?

I was in section 161, Row 2. I was there with two customers. Were you in the section with the rowdy high school kids? There was a kid that kept climbing back and forth over the bleachers. Were you one of the rowdy high school/college age kids.

Do you go to Dreams in Lockport? Have you ever seen Crash at Dreams?

BeerHandle
04-28-2004, 08:03 PM
NAAT

The thread is more about the truth behind a White Sox Fan. A few more excuses I hear on this board why the team is not supported.

1. White Flag Trade
2. 1994 Strike (we were going to win the World Series, who says so?)

Should I keep going, I will stop for everyones sake.

The fact is that the Fans need to leave the things in the past and move forward and support an exciting team. Stop complaining and be positive.

TornLabrum
04-28-2004, 08:09 PM

Around Memorial Day if the club is doing well. That's when the fans come out EVERY year they contend.

pinwheels3530
04-28-2004, 08:19 PM
Batmanzoso when the sox make it to the playoffs DON'T get any tickets to the game cause I want them to win! :D:

MarqSox
04-28-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Around Memorial Day if the club is doing well. That's when the fans come out EVERY year they contend.
Good point ... that's when the attendance jumps from 17,000 to 22,000. Yippee.

hsnterprize
04-28-2004, 09:13 PM
With all due respect to the fans here to are tired of seeing empty seats in the ballpark, and with all due respect to those in the press who have a field day with "why Sox fans aren't going to the ballpark", please allow me to add me "excuse" for not making the Sox my religion and seeing them at all costs.

First of all, my 2-year-old son just celebrated a birthday this week. My wife and I promised him we'd take him to the zoo, and that's exactly what we did. Josh had a GREAT time looking at and petting animals. He had a big birthday party on Saturday, and some birthday cupcakes yesterday. Oh, by the way, the cupcakes did NOT have a Sox logo on them, so if you're offended, tough tiddy.

Secondly, I confess I don't make a lot of money. Being the sole source of income in my home, and with 2 kids and ANOTHER ONE on the way, I don't have either the revenue nor the time to go to Sox games day after day after day. Unlike the people "putting us to shame" at Wrigley, I not only have a job...I HAVE 2 JOBS. Unless the Sox paid me to work for them, and with as much as I love this team, I simple can't make it to the ballpark at every turn.

I would've liked to have been there today...especially considering the outcome. But, there are more important things to me than baseball, such as keeping peace in the house. No amount of silver and black is going to help me when my wife and I are at each other's throats about putting priorities in order.

I'm sorry, but as far as today is concerned, my son is more important than the White Sox. If there was a way we could've gone to the game inexpensively, me and the kinfolk would've been there. However, there wasn't much I could do.

Simply put, as much as I would like to see a full house every day for Sox games, SHUT UP ABOUT THE DAMN ATTENDANCE!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

That's all I've got to say about it.

Lip Man 1
04-28-2004, 09:21 PM
I find it interesting that some Sox fans are ordering other Sox fans to go to games. I didn't realize the Sox Police were out and about.

Outside of the legtimate reasons why people can't go to games and that has been offered on this thread, the fact remains that like it or not, the Sox fan base is tremendously smaller now then it was when Jerry Reinsdorf took over.

Like it or not, fans have been turned off after 20+ years and many prefer just to keep an eye on the club via TV and or radio.

Many fans have a real issue with this because they want to go see games but do NOT want to hand over good money to an owner they loath.

Jerry Reinsdorf is 68, he can't last forever. Be patient...when a new owner arrives those fans will too. Till then enjoy the mediocrity, keep yourself in good physical condition, don't take any chances and you'll live long enough to see that day.

Lip

MRKARNO
04-28-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Jerry Reinsdorf is 68, he can't last forever. Be patient...when a new owner arrives those fans will too. Till then enjoy the mediocrity, keep yourself in good physical condition, don't take any chances and you'll live long enough to see that day.

Lip

So when is the Revolution?

ihatethecubs
04-29-2004, 02:56 AM
this is so stupid to post on this board, i can not believe people still start threads like this. ive been reading the boards here every single day since WSI first started them, and ive seen this same thing said 1000 times. the response is always the same, and its true, you dont need to tell anyone who posts on WSI to go to the park.

MarqSox
04-29-2004, 07:19 AM

Lip
It's perfectly reasonable to think JR will own the team for another 15 years. Sorry, but 15 more years of 22,000 attendance ain't gonna cut it in terms of longterm franchise viability.

Honestly, I'm shocked that so many Sox fans AREN'T concerned about the attendance. It's an issue that affects the teams as much as any we debate here -- it directly affects payroll, not to mention team energy. And in the long run, it could determine whether the Sox stay in Chicago.

But I guess those factors pale in importance to sticking it to JR! Way to go grudge-holding Sox fans. You showed him!

gosox41
04-29-2004, 07:41 AM
It's perfectly reasonable to think JR will own the team for another 15 years. Sorry, but 15 more years of 22,000 attendance ain't gonna cut it in terms of longterm franchise viability.

Honestly, I'm shocked that so many Sox fans AREN'T concerned about the attendance. It's an issue that affects the teams as much as any we debate here -- it directly affects payroll, not to mention team energy. And in the long run, it could determine whether the Sox stay in Chicago.

But I guess those factors pale in importance to sticking it to JR! Way to go grudge-holding Sox fans. You showed him!

Some people would cut off their nose to spite their face.

I wish these Sox fans would get over their grudge, but I definitely see their POV and can't blame them for feeling how they do.

Bob

anewman35
04-29-2004, 07:55 AM
Honestly, I'm shocked that so many Sox fans AREN'T concerned about the attendance.

Well, maybe people are like me - they want higher attendance, sure, but they realize the only thing they can do about it is go to games. None of us can fix the attendance problem, so what's the point in complaining about it? If you have a problem with the attendance, go to games, try to get some friends to go to games, but don't whine about it on a message board, that accomplishes nothing.

fledgedrallycap
04-29-2004, 08:09 AM

1. JR
2. Cold weather
3. Rain
4. Cubs dominate media
7. No bars
8. etc.

GO SOX!

Spot me a hundred with a vacation day and you have yourself a deal...

ewokpelts
04-29-2004, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
Well, maybe people are like me - they want higher attendance, sure, but they realize the only thing they can do about it is go to games. None of us can fix the attendance problem, so what's the point in complaining about it? If you have a problem with the attendance, go to games, try to get some friends to go to games, but don't whine about it on a message board, that accomplishes nothing. Amen Brother....... as for this overall thread
:whocares

Gene

voodoochile
04-29-2004, 08:18 AM

Um, exactly what are we as individual fans supposed to do about this issue?

Very few people on this board hold such a grudge against management that they refuse to go to games because of it. I can think of one and he still lives over 6 hours drive away from the city.

It is management's job to create a fanbase. This team has actually destroyed one instead. It isn't just hatred of JR, there are many factors at play. Many people just don't trust he wants to put a winner on the field and have ample reason to feel that way, IMO. That means they might go to 5 games a year to see live baseball instead of 20 because they are following an exciting team.

Again, it is JR et al's job to create fan interest. They clearly need to get better at it. You are preaching to the choir as it were.

Jumping up and down, waving my arms in the air and saying "Go to games people" won't do one bit of good whether here or in the real world. I simply don't have the power necessary to make a dent in the problems that confront this team from a fanbase perspective. It has to be an initiative from further up the ladder for it to have any impact at all. Unfortunately they seem content to sit back, let gentrification take hold and wait for the team to start drawing as a result.

You want to rail at someone about this issue, rail at JR and the rest of his team that destroyed the teams goodwill and handed the city to the flubbies on a silver platter.

thepaulbowski
04-29-2004, 08:32 AM

1. JR
2. Cold weather
3. Rain
4. Cubs dominate media
7. No bars
8. etc.

GO SOX!

Ok, let me see here. I couldn't make the game today because I was at work, sorry to offend. I got rid of my season tickets because of the price increase on weekend games. By the end of the month I will have been to six games, with only having to pay to go to one of the games. I get a lot of free tickets through my job. I guess this makes me cheap. And until the weather breaks, I'm not buying tickets to any games. I'm not going to freeze my ass off, when I could watch the game at home. People don't need to justify why they do or don't go to games to you or anybody.

This management has alienated its fan base, it's up to them to win it back.

zach23
04-29-2004, 08:54 AM
I was in section 161, Row 2. I was there with two customers. Were you in the section with the rowdy high school kids? There was a kid that kept climbing back and forth over the bleachers. Were you one of the rowdy high school/college age kids.

Do you go to Dreams in Lockport? Have you ever seen Crash at Dreams?

I was in the section with them, but not one of them. My seats are in row 1 near the aisle between 161 and 162. I was just wondering if you were with the group of guys I was talking with on the way up the stairs.
I have never been to Dreams, and I don't know where it is. I just moved to Lockport last year.

Iguana775
04-29-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by delben91

Nebraska for me.

Palehose13
04-29-2004, 09:06 AM
Well, when I don't go to games it isn't because of JR or anything like that. I love the Sox and always will no matter what.

I am going to my first game this year on Sunday. Why have I not gone before?

1. I live in Milwaukee.
2. I work from 7am-5:30pm M-F (no weekday games)
3. I have grad school classes on Saturday (sad, but true)
4. I don't make THAT much money...it really is a trip for me (gas, parking, tickets) and I odn't mind doing it 5-10 times a year, but I can't afford much more than that.

To those guys that get free tickets, I'll take them anytime in the summer.

Dan H
04-29-2004, 09:35 AM
The attendance issue especially since many people don't have anything new to say about it. As far as excuses: I don't need to provide any. I have gone to enough games during the past 40 plus years that I don't think I to provide any so called excuses for going or not going to games.

One last thing: the more the team, the media, and other fans berate people about attendance, the more people won't come.

MarqSox
04-29-2004, 10:44 AM
Um, exactly what are we as individual fans supposed to do about this issue?
There's nothing we can do about it when Billy Koch comes in to pitch, either, but that doesn't stop people from bitching and moaning about it. I don't see why attendance should be any different.

MUsoxfan
04-29-2004, 10:58 AM
I think I did my share by taking the train down from Milwaukee twice last week. I should still make the 40-42 games a year I like to go to.

BeerHandle
04-29-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by MUsoxfan
I think I did my share by taking the train down from Milwaukee twice last week. I should still make the 40-42 games a year I like to go to.

Very impressive! I have a crew of 60 going to the game on Friday. Lets hope the rain stays away.

BigFrankFan
04-29-2004, 11:10 AM
No offense, but when most of us list those reasons we aren't talking for ourselves but rather the casual fan. The fact that we bothered to register on this site pretty much states we are avid fans & try to go as often as we can.

There are really only 2 reasons why I as an avid fan can't go to more games:
1) finding someone to go with
2) cost of going to a game

Sometimes 2 influences 1, but usually not. One is by far the toughest hurdle to clear. Hence the media & perception of The Cell is probably the biggest factor there.

Kuzman
04-29-2004, 12:18 PM
ive already been to 3 games this year with my girlfriend and im going to be going again on the 14th.. so i dont think i really fit into that category becuase i plan on going more then season tix holders :)

Fridaythe13thJason
04-29-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Kuzman
ive already been to 3 games this year with my girlfriend and im going to be going again on the 14th.. so i dont think i really fit into that category becuase i plan on going more then season tix holders :)

Would you like to correct your statement? I don't think going to three games this year qualifies you as "going more then [sic] season ticket holders."

steff
04-29-2004, 12:26 PM
Very nice generalization BeerHandle...

:rolleyes

steff
04-29-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by UICJason
Would you like to correct your statement? I don't think going to three games this year qualifies you as "going more then [sic] season ticket holders."

He did say "i plan on going more then season tix holders"

Fridaythe13thJason
04-29-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by steff
He did say "i plan on going more then season tix holders"

Hasn't he already lost that battle, since season ticket holders have tickets to every game?

Brian26
04-29-2004, 12:31 PM
Hasn't he already lost that battle, since season ticket holders have tickets to every game?

Unless you have a split season or Sox 9 package....

steff
04-29-2004, 12:32 PM

No. There are several different ST plans. 9 games, 27 games, half season, full season...

Fridaythe13thJason
04-29-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Brian26

Unless you have a split season or Sox 9 package....

No. There are several different ST plans. 9 games, 27 games, half season, full season...

Understood...thanks for the reminder, but I guess I really figured he was talking about the traditional definition of the season ticket holder.

With a 9 game plan, I certainly wouldn't consider myself a season ticket holder.

My bad though I suppose.

Lip Man 1
04-29-2004, 12:47 PM
Marq Sox:

The Sox aren't going ANYWHERE regardless of attendence. Why?

Well for one they just signed a new long term lease. Sure contracts can be broken but the city of Chicago and the Illinois Sports Stadium Authority would sue the be-jeesus out of the team owners (whomever that may be) forcing them to either stay or pay a monster settlement that would cripple the team in whatever city they landed in before the even played their first game. I don't think you need to worry about that point.

Second...where are they going to go? New Orleans? Las Vegas? Salt Lake City? Mexico City? Indianapolis? Portland? Washington D.C. ? (Sorry the Expos will beat them to the only viable city option left)

Please....

Finally you state attendence directly affects the team payroll. But does it?

That's the real issue and has been since almost the first few days this ownership group took over. Fans don't trust this owner.

They don't trust him to take all that attendence money and put it into the payroll. The Sox drew almost 2 million fans last season and averaged almost 30,000 per home game after June 1st last year.

Did that money go to improving the team's payroll this off season?
(crickets chirping.....silence....)

I thought so.

If you are interesting in learning more about this 'credibility issue,' Bob Logan has a chapter that discusses with it Jerry and Eddie in his book 'Miracle On 35th Street.'

Lip

skottyj242
04-29-2004, 01:06 PM
I hate the fact that someone asked you guys a simple question as to why you don't go to games and you're breathing down his throat. The whole "look at me, I'm an old and bitter Sox fan. Reinsdorf owes me something I can't stand him so I'll boycot the team at the gate" mentality. Of the 11 games at COMISKEY this year I'v been to seven. I have seen all five of the "last at bat" games. There should be no excuses as to why you can't make it to the ball park if it is in your means. (Now don't start cramming replies down my throat. I'm not telling you not to feed your kids to go to a game. I'm not telling you to skip work or school. I'm not telling you to drive six hours just to see a game.)

I'm sick of bitter people who have the money and the time to enjoy the one thing that brings everyone here on this website: White Sox baseball. I think alot of you need to grow up and accept the fact that this team is owned by Jerry Reinsdorf. You need to grow up and accept the fact that the Cubs recieve more media attention (which as much as I hate it they almost (HaHa) we in the World Series last year). That's all I have to say.

BeerHandle
04-29-2004, 01:14 PM
Very nice generalization BeerHandle...

:rolleyes

What generalization?

Lip Man 1
04-29-2004, 01:19 PM
Skotty says: "this team is owned by Jerry Reinsdorf. "

But not forever! :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Lip

MisterB
04-29-2004, 01:38 PM
What generalization?

Uh, this one?

MarqSox
04-29-2004, 02:27 PM
Marq Sox:

The Sox aren't going ANYWHERE regardless of attendence. Why?

Well for one they just signed a new long term lease. Sure contracts can be broken but the city of Chicago and the Illinois Sports Stadium Authority would sue the be-jeesus out of the team owners (whomever that may be) forcing them to either stay or pay a monster settlement that would cripple the team in whatever city they landed in before the even played their first game. I don't think you need to worry about that point.
If they want to move and the city and state block them, it'll go just like with what happened to the Expos, where the league buys the team and runs them on the extreme cheap with no motivation to win, only to break even or turn a small profit. IMO, that's just as good as skipping town.
Second...where are they going to go? New Orleans? Las Vegas? Salt Lake City? Mexico City? Indianapolis? Portland? Washington D.C. ? (Sorry the Expos will beat them to the only viable city option left)

Please....
You gave 7 cities, all of which are quite viable. The Expos can't move to all of them.
Finally you state attendence directly affects the team payroll. But does it?

That's the real issue and has been since almost the first few days this ownership group took over. Fans don't trust this owner.

They don't trust him to take all that attendence money and put it into the payroll. The Sox drew almost 2 million fans last season and averaged almost 30,000 per home game after June 1st last year.

Did that money go to improving the team's payroll this off season?
(crickets chirping.....silence....)

I thought so.
Look, you're pretty much putting me in a position to defend JR. I'm not going to try, because I don't like him much either. You're right, it's questionable whether payroll will go up substantially if attendance goes up. That said, it's pretty obvious what will happen if attendance DOESN'T go up ... payroll will stay flat or go down. You're preaching to the choir if you think that's not fair.

All I'm saying is, attendance IS a crucial issue, one which we shouldn't shy away from talking about.

DaveIsHere
04-29-2004, 02:29 PM
Just go to the game

BeerHandle
04-29-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
Uh, this one?

It may be a generalization, but a pretty fair assessment. THE TRUTH HURTS SOMETIMES!

steff
04-29-2004, 04:12 PM
It may be a generalization, but a pretty fair assessment. THE TRUTH HURTS SOMETIMES!

People who generalize are *******s...

Like that generalization..?

I made it specially for you. :D:

BeerHandle
04-29-2004, 04:24 PM
People who generalize are *******s...

Like that generalization..?

I made it specially for you. :D:

Peopel who generalize can be *******s; however my generaliztion has truth behind it. You know it and everyone else knows.

Obvioulsy people on this board (for the most part) don't fall into the category. I know people on this board get off their couch and support the team.

steff
04-29-2004, 04:27 PM
Peopel who generalize can be *******s; however my generaliztion has truth behind it. You know it and everyone else knows.

Obvioulsy people on this board (for the most part) don't fall into the category. I know people on this board get off their couch and support the team.

So why on earth would you generalize here...??

And no.. I don't know your generalization to be true. I don't consider the Sox fans I know to be lazy and cheap. Maybe you should re-evaluate the Sox "fans" you hang out with.

BeerHandle
04-29-2004, 04:33 PM
So why on earth would you generalize here...??

And no.. I don't know your generalization to be true. I don't consider the Sox fans I know to be lazy and cheap. Maybe you should re-evaluate the Sox "fans" you hang out with.

What did the Sox average in attendance after the All Star break? Something like 30,000.

Where are they now? There isn't a shortage of Sox fans in Chicago. This team is more exciting and entertaining to watch then last years. Explain!

Baby Fisk
04-29-2004, 04:38 PM
What's with all the hysteria over attendance? Does the amount of people sitting around you at a ballpark validate your own existence or justify the team's performance? Who cares?! The SOX are WINNING!

steff
04-29-2004, 04:47 PM
What did the Sox average in attendance after the All Star break? Something like 30,000.

Where are they now? There isn't a shortage of Sox fans in Chicago. This team is more exciting and entertaining to watch then last years. Explain!

Explain what..? I'm sorry but I am only respoinsible for MY actions. I don't have the time to worry about the other 40K seats at the park.. and quite honestly.. I don't give a crap. Attendance worries are for Cub fans...

Baby Fisk
04-29-2004, 04:50 PM
I don't have the time to worry about the other 40K seats at the park.. and quite honestly.. I don't give a crap. Attendance worries are for Cub fans...

Damn straight!

BeerHandle
04-29-2004, 04:52 PM
Explain what..? I'm sorry but I am only respoinsible for MY actions. I don't have the time to worry about the other 40K seats at the park.. and quite honestly.. I don't give a crap. Attendance worries are for Cub fans...

My last comments:
Very valid comments above; however, do you agree that fans generate energy for the players? If so, then attendance matters......

steff
04-29-2004, 04:54 PM
My last comments:
Very valid comments above; however, do you agree that fans generate energy for the players? If so, then attendance matters......

No, I don't agree. It's their job.

Baby Fisk
04-29-2004, 04:57 PM
My last comments:

Our players have been digging within and finding ways to make the kinds of comebacks we would have only fantasized about last year. It ain't us, it's them, it's Ozzie, whatever, but it ain't us.

Sure, players love to play in front of 50,000... lookit how well A-Rod is doing! :D:

Lip Man 1
04-29-2004, 09:07 PM
Marq:

Those cities that I mentioned should have been in teal I guess. The chances of MLB putting a team in those locations is extremely small.

They don't have the facilities and certainly do not have the population base size that could support a club. My point being that MLB has run out of places to move to, which puts the cities in a tremendous position should an owner down the road starting making noises about needing a new stadium or they'll move.

Those cities can then say to where? Go ahead and try.

I could see NYC getting a third team but that's about it.

Like I said the Sox aren't going anywhere and I don't think you'll see MLB ever own another team again. The press has been negative (with good reason) over it because of the conflict of interest. If anything happens in the future it'll be contraction since that clause where the MLBPA has the right to block contraction expires in 2006.

After that they have nothing to say.

I guarantee you'll see teams folded, however the Sox wouldn't be moved to say Tampa, Minnesota or Florida because those markets can't support teams or they wouldn't have lost theirs in the first place.

Lip

BigFrankFan
04-30-2004, 12:16 PM
Last I looked the SOX play in the ALC:
Home avg:
#23 KC 21.1K
#24 MN 20.6K
#25 SX 20.1K
#26 DT 19.6K
#27 CL 19.0K

Detroit has a brand new stadium & Cle has one of the most heralded stadiums. So clearly Marquee players & winning have a LOT more to do with attendance then the stadium itself.

The best thing that could happen is for the SOX to keep winning & the cub to start losing. That will get the casual fan to switch alignments quickly.

One thing no one ever talks about including Moronitti is what exactly is the number in Chicago for avid baseball fans? Maybe that number is along the lines of the total cub & SOX attendance. Maybe the avid fan base is no greater than 3 million. So that means the casual & out of state/town fan base is worth 2-3 million betw the 2 clubs.

What we do know is that when the SOX drew 3 million at the opening of The Cell. The cub drew a little over 2 million. If you compare year to year since the Cell opened that 5 mil mark keeps showing up for the combined attendance.

credeistheman
05-03-2004, 03:08 PM
i've observed this board for a couple years now but i've yet to register. but listening to all of these whiners in this thread have made me sick. to expenisve? to far? are you kidding me?!?
right now i'm a student in new york city, i'm broke and i live more than 900 miles from comiskey.
three weeks ago when the sox were in town over easter weekend you bet your ass i was there for all the games, and yankees tickets are some of the most expensive in the league.
if it's too expensive go on half-price nights, show up after the third inning, haggle with the scalpers in the parking lot.
i would give anything to be within driving distance of comiskey. it breaks my heart to hear you guys talk about how far it is, or how expensive it is.
two games a year?!? are you kidding me? you don't realize how lucky you are.
and in closing, joe crede is the man.

bafiarocks03
05-03-2004, 06:08 PM
if i could go to every game i so would!! but first of all: i can't drive, second i don't have that kind of money!! Bbut i would love to go to every game!

PINWHEELS
05-03-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by bafiarocks03
if i could go to every game i so would!! but first of all: i can't drive, second i don't have that kind of money!! Bbut i would love to go to every game! Don' Have That Kind Of Money, But You Live In Orland Park!

Palehose13
05-03-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by credeistheman
i've observed this board for a couple years now but i've yet to register. but listening to all of these whiners in this thread have made me sick. to expenisve? to far? are you kidding me?!?
right now i'm a student in new york city, i'm broke and i live more than 900 miles from comiskey.
three weeks ago when the sox were in town over easter weekend you bet your ass i was there for all the games, and yankees tickets are some of the most expensive in the league.
if it's too expensive go on half-price nights, show up after the third inning, haggle with the scalpers in the parking lot.
i would give anything to be within driving distance of comiskey. it breaks my heart to hear you guys talk about how far it is, or how expensive it is.
two games a year?!? are you kidding me? you don't realize how lucky you are.
and in closing, joe crede is the man.
You know, you are absolutely right. I should forget about EVERYTHING else in my life and spend all my free time and money at US Cellular Field. What the hell? I don't really have a life so I'll spend every night at the ballpark showing up in the third inning and getting home just after midnight only to wake up at 5:30 am. Sounds fun.

Sorry, but you, Uncle Jerry, and everyone else that complains about attendance is going to have to deal with me going 10 times a year.

BigFrankFan
05-04-2004, 12:38 PM
The people that post here are not the issue. I would be willing to bet that the Chicagoans who post here go to games as often as they can.

The problem is the people who DON'T post here. They don't post any where. They just decide that they want to go to a ball game & the trendy team right now is the cub.

The only way to change that is to WIN consistently. If the SOX make the playoffs this year & the cub don't that can turn the tide slightly.
If the SOX win in the playoffs & the cub don't that will turn the tide greatly.

In the meantime it's our job to recruit as many SOX fans as humanly possible.

BeerHandle
05-04-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by BigFrankFan

This sounds a lot like a guy named Leif or Tyson. Is this you?

credeistheman
05-06-2004, 01:35 PM
first of all, i can't belive that you would lump someone who posts on this board in the same category as jerry.
secondly, your response to my post is the same type of knee-jerk, sarcastic, cynical, obnoxious comment that my original post was trying to address. i'm not deriding you for being a knee-jerker, sarcastic, cynical, or obnoxious, hell, most sox fans are all of the above, me included!
i yearn for the cell, i miss the smell of the stale churros in the concourse and the soggy sauerkraut you get on a pre-game polish from maxwell street depot.
i'm a student, i'm broke, i live in nyc now, and i made it up to the bronx to cheer OUR team on. i miss my whitesox.
all i was saying was that for those of you who currently reside in the chicago-land area should realize how lucky you are to be so close to the good guys. i just find it kind of sad that people who would define themselves as "real fans", who live in or around chicago, only make it out to 2 games a years.
and in conclusion, crede is the man.