PDA

View Full Version : Your 2004 Chicago White Sox - "Never Say Die"

SouthSideHitman
04-28-2004, 05:34 PM
I think that it's high time for this team to have a nickname and as many of you may have noticed, our White Sox have somewhat of a flair for the dramatic in the form of late innning comebacks. Therefore I propose the following nickname for the club effective immediatly - Never Say Die.

When in marketing its always good to have a slogan to stick in people's minds and this one fills the bill. It's catchy, it's cool and it's topical. So go out and spread the good word.

NEVER SAY DIE! WHITE SOX BASEBALL!

HomeFish
04-28-2004, 05:43 PM
I could have said die last night pretty well...

chisoxmike
04-28-2004, 05:48 PM
I would rather keep this between us Sox fans.

Most likely if the saying gets popular, everybody going to games will expect the Sox to win no matter what, and for some reason Sox bats would go silent in their last at bats.

npdempse
04-28-2004, 05:54 PM
I'm still for reviving one of the old slogans--Winning Ugly, or if we get more of the base stealing Ozzy promised, Go go Sox.

jercha
04-28-2004, 05:54 PM
How about Comeback Kids.

DaveIsHere
04-28-2004, 05:58 PM
How about, "it would be nice if we just won some damn games!"

That is catchy ain't it?

34 Inch Stick
04-28-2004, 05:59 PM
Stealing victory from the jaws of defeat.

SouthSideHitman
04-28-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by chisoxmike
I would rather keep this between us Sox fans.

Most likely if the saying gets popular, everybody going to games will expect the Sox to win no matter what, and for some reason Sox bats would go silent in their last at bats.

But that is the whole point of a slogan and/or nickname for a baseball team, it should be bold and declarative. In 2000 the slogan didn't stop the kids from playing, in 1983 the Sox still won ugly, Murderers Row still murdered, etc. Even the Southiside Hitmen though they didn't end up making it to the postseason still holds a cherished place in most Sox fans' hearts and that's what this team needs. Besides, even when this team doesn't win, it often makes it close like last night with the tying run up or that last game in the Bronx against Rivera.

Originally posted by npdempse
I'm still for reviving one of the old slogans--Winning Ugly, or if we get more of the base stealing Ozzy promised, Go go Sox.

Now I love old slogans (ie. my SN) but it seems to me that this team should make its own way, not live off past glories. When I hear "Good Guys Wear Black" it makes me think of Sunday afternoon games (then the only day with the black jerseys) of my youth with Frank, Blackjack, Ozzie, One Dog and everyone else and I think this team could develope a similar set of monniker-related associations.

ScottyTheSoxFan
04-28-2004, 06:20 PM
rather than a slogan, how about issuing a surgeon generals warning

such as

SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Watching White Sox Baseball By Pregnant Women May Result in Fetal Injury, Premature Birth, And Low Birth Weight

or

watching White Sox Baseball increases the risk of heart attack and/or mood swings.

Baby Fisk
04-28-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
Now I love old slogans (ie. my SN) but it seems to me that this team should make its own way, not live off past glories. When I hear "Good Guys Wear Black" it makes me think of Sunday afternoon games (then the only day with the black jerseys) of my youth with Frank, Blackjack, Ozzie, One Dog and everyone else and I think this team could develope a similar set of monniker-related associations.
Totally agree with SSH here. This era is unique to itself and should have its own moniker.

My own suggestion is this: the Sox have been left for dead already by many in the media and a whole bunch of fans. And everytime we as a group begin to write them off, they come storming back in the most inexplicable fashion and show us up for the doubters that we are. I think they act like a bunch of punks everytime they pull off one of their cardiac last-inning wins. Hence:

WHITE SOX BASEBALL 2004: YEAR OF THE PUNKS.

It's edgy, it's as far away from "cuddly" and "loveable" as you can get, and it's something we can revel in. No one loves these punks but us.

SouthSideHitman
04-28-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
rather than a slogan, how about issuing a surgeon generals warning

such as

SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Watching White Sox Baseball By Pregnant Women May Result in Fetal Injury, Premature Birth, And Low Birth Weight

or

watching White Sox Baseball increases the risk of heart attack and/or mood swings.

Hehe, this is perhaps being too honest about our cardiac kids. Besides, I think that that is implied whenever talking about Chicago baseball.

I dunno about year of the punks, it is edgey which is good but it isn't really catchy. Maybe just call

pjthesox13
04-28-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
I think that it's high time for this team to have a nickname and as many of you may have noticed, our White Sox have somewhat of a flair for the dramatic in the form of late innning comebacks. Therefore I propose the following nickname for the club effective immediatly - Never Say Die.

When in marketing its always good to have a slogan to stick in people's minds and this one fills the bill. It's catchy, it's cool and it's topical. So go out and spread the good word.

NEVER SAY DIE! WHITE SOX BASEBALL!

How about "It ain't over till the Sox swing"

Or

"It ain't over till the Sox start swinging"

A. Cavatica
04-28-2004, 09:06 PM
How about "early innings are meaningless"...works as well when we cough up a big lead as when we come from behind.

Clembasbal
04-28-2004, 09:17 PM
Bruce "Loser" Levine called the Sox the "Cardiac Kids" and on ESPN the article about the Sox game calls them the "Cardiac ChiSox."

Whatever way we look at it, I like this name and I am sure that it is catching on and that the media will start using it.

And I believe we all heard it here first! :D:

JohnBasedowYoda
04-28-2004, 09:17 PM
9th inning alarm clock

the ugly hitmen

chisox06
04-28-2004, 09:24 PM
Watchin the game, a fan had a sign that read "The Return of The SouthSide Hitmen", I love that one, yea we've used it before but man thats catchy.

WinningUgly!
04-28-2004, 09:35 PM
2004 White Sox = The Fat Ladies
It ain't over 'till the Fat Ladies swing!
:)

jordan23ventura
04-28-2004, 10:12 PM
White Sox Baseball: Good guys fight back.