PDA

View Full Version : ESPN power rankings.....slaps us in the face

SD Scott 7
04-28-2004, 05:26 PM
ESPN's latest power rankings are out today. They ranked us 8th and the Cubs 3rd. Their comment for us is, "Ozzie Guillen lashed out at Chicago's infatuation with cross-town pitcher Mark Prior. Guillen should know better, the White Sox barely register on the Windy City's radar screen . Still, gotta love Guillen's gusto." What a load of crap.

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1791389)

nodiggity59
04-28-2004, 05:28 PM
I agree. I guarantee you they spend about 4 mins making that **** and just spew out Cubpoganda garbage because they don't spend any time thinking.

SD Scott 7
04-28-2004, 05:29 PM
ESPN on the Cubs - "Dusty Baker, a favorite in this corner, is at it again, getting his injury-riddled club to play better than it should. We swear, the man might be able to walk on water ."

SD Scott 7
04-28-2004, 05:31 PM
In order to start gaining some respect, we need to just simply win ball games. The Marlins were in the same position last year, lets just hope we turn out the same.

SoxFan78
04-28-2004, 05:31 PM
I wonder where the Scrubs will rank after being outscored 19-1 the past two games.

SoxBoy14
04-28-2004, 05:32 PM
ESPN favors the cubs, Yankees and the Red Sox. I guess they believe everyone else in the US loves them too. Hey losers wake up and smell the coffee!!!

mikef1331
04-28-2004, 05:34 PM
Does anybody even take ESPN seriously anymore? We all know they're full of crap. They'll never give the Sox any respect until they win the World Series. And even if they do win the WS they'd still probably talk about the team that lost more than if the White Sox won.

WhiteSox = Life
04-28-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan78
I wonder where the Scrubs will rank after being outscored 19-1 the past two games.

They might drop down a few spots.

Meanwhile, the "Manager of the Millennium" gets a day off because of an MLB suspension. At least he'll have time to perfect his turning of water to wine.

:D:

cheeses_h_rice
04-28-2004, 05:40 PM
:whocares

DonkeyKongerko
04-28-2004, 05:50 PM
At least we're getting publicity. I'd rather have a little negative wind blowing about the Sox and Ozzie's remarks than the black hole that was the Jerry Manuel era.

DMarte708
04-28-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Ok, how many threads do I have to browse and see this goofy picture. If you don't care, why make a post that says "who cares?" Obviously people care if they're posting here.....

jabrch
04-28-2004, 05:53 PM
Ignore the commentary for a second - 8th isn't bad. At the start of the season, if I told you that we'd be the 8th best team overall in MLB, we'd be fairly happy with that.

DSpivack
04-28-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Thank you. Even if we are the underdog, I take a sort of sick enjoyment in it. After all, I went Evanston HS- always the underdog to New Trier; we are Sox fans- seemingly always underdogs to the Cubs [off the field, certainly not on the field]; I am a Bears fan- seemingly always underdogs to the Packers. etc.

jabrch
04-28-2004, 05:57 PM
And with how the media fawned all over Tony Pena and KC last year, it is nice to see them regress to where their talent level is. That's a crap pitching staff and a worse pen.

Baby Fisk
04-28-2004, 06:00 PM
I don't mind being the red-headed stepchild of MLB. Constantly being beaten and left at the bottom of a staircase in a darkened cellar. The media dumps on us. Cubs fans dump on us. We live in a dark vortex of negativity and criticism. And yet we are the ones whose faith never dies. For what it's worth, I never want the Sox to become the Bandwagoners Choice. Let the Cubs/Red Sox/Yankees have the shallow and ignorant masses. We are the true fans of baseball and the Sox are our team. When they win it all, everyone will eat crow while we chug champagne. When they win it all, you can rub all their faces in it and they'll never be able to take it away from you. That day is coming, friends.

FarWestChicago
04-28-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by DMarte708
Ok, how many threads do I have to browse and see this goofy picture. If you don't care, why make a post that says "who cares?" Obviously people care if they're posting here..... You totally miss the point. The "who cares" poster is asking the same of the person who started the lame thread. Why the endless threads about Moronotti or ESPN the Tabloid? What do you guys expect? Do you honestly think you are going to read the moron in the Cubune or check out the Tabloid and see good things about the Sox? I'll give you a hint. If you put your hand on the top of a hot stove, it's going to burn. And not just the first time, every time.

SpartanSoxFan
04-28-2004, 06:49 PM
Honestly, I do get irritated with the media sometimes. But after a point, you have to get over it. All the Sox need to worry about is keep winning games, and honestly, I think it will be easier if the media keeps blowing them off. Its good to play with a chip on your shoulder...it keeps you hungry. Besides, we should be paying more attention to what the Twinkies are doing in our own division rather than the "Mark Prior Watch," anyway...

Come June, when we are "Still Under the Radar" and we beat FLUBBY ASS, the media will be changing its tune...

MRKARNO
04-28-2004, 07:10 PM
If the Sox keep winning like they are now:

A. The Fans will come

B. The respect will come

be patient, but come June if we can keep it up, we'll be getting good respect and attendence.

soxtalker
04-28-2004, 07:29 PM
I am quite happy if we are under-ranked. Better to surprise people.

Having said that, the ESPN ranking looks quite reasonable to me. A series against any of those teams ranked above us would be tough.

And that's before the poor pitching and defense of the past couple of days.

cheeses_h_rice
04-28-2004, 08:04 PM
I honestly don't see the point in endlessly rehashing all these perceived "slights" by idiots at ESPN, etc. I mean, who CARES that the Sox were ranked a certain number this particularly week? Does that affect your enjoyment or perception of the team? If so, seek help.

When the Sox are rolling in first place in July/August/September, demolishing the Twins and Royals and our other ALC competition ruthlessly, and we're still getting dumped on, you might have a legitimate complaint. 'Til then, life's too short to get so pissy over such stupid stuff.

Champs2004
04-28-2004, 08:52 PM
here's my little rant to ESPN....

If you wish to not have us on top than wish us down
If you wish for us to leave, than wish us gone
If you wish ozzie to shut up, than wish him to

But after your three wishes.........BLOW IT OUT YOUR ASS!!!

hillbilly
04-28-2004, 08:56 PM
Seriously, who is ESPN talking about being injured on the Scrubs besides prior. He's a miracle worker because the team is still winning (vs bad teams mind you) with 1 guy out?!?!?!?!

jamteh
04-28-2004, 09:38 PM
I'm just happy the Sox are in the top 10 right now. This team still has a few gaping holes on it and they've still won 60 percent of their games. Not bad if you ask me. We're a Randy Johnson away from really making some playoff noise.

rcescato
04-28-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by mikef1331
Does anybody even take ESPN seriously anymore? We all know they're full of crap. They'll never give the Sox any respect until they win the World Series. And even if they do win the WS they'd still probably talk about the team that lost more than if the White Sox won.

as much as we have been dissed and disrepected that
a # 7 or 8 ranking is very high. We should be happy. Let them gush over the flubs mediocre start. Considering they had an easy schedule and was suppose to have a better record than they do now all I can do is laugh. Especially as they are trying to be swept by the d backs as I speak.
Rich

akingamongstmen
04-29-2004, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
I don't mind being the red-headed stepchild of MLB. Constantly being beaten and left at the bottom of a staircase in a darkened cellar. The media dumps on us. Cubs fans dump on us. We live in a dark vortex of negativity and criticism. And yet we are the ones whose faith never dies. For what it's worth, I never want the Sox to become the Bandwagoners Choice. Let the Cubs/Red Sox/Yankees have the shallow and ignorant masses. We are the true fans of baseball and the Sox are our team. When they win it all, everyone will eat crow while we chug champagne. When they win it all, you can rub all their faces in it and they'll never be able to take it away from you. That day is coming, friends.

I like the way that you think. It pretty much sums up what I've been saying for years.