PDA

View Full Version : Does this team work?

WWIII
04-28-2004, 03:41 PM
I know, it's still early in the season, and it's a long season, but everytime I see this lineup flyout/popout over and over because everyone is swinging for the fences, I wonder if this lineup works together well.

When everyone is hot, it seems like there is no better lineup, but that is because there are numerous homeruns. When they are cold, which they seem to be more often than not, they look pathetic. I am sick of hearing "He popped him up" from whoever is calling the game.

Don't get me wrong. I like all of these guys, but sometimes I am not convinved they make the best "team". I would think there are plenty of teams looking for a little pop in their lineup that would have more "on-base" type guys to give us in return. We keep a couple of the big hitters, Frank and Magglio, and unload the others for a lead-off guy, pitchers, and just plain hitters.

Maybe I'm wrong, in which case, ignore me - everyone does. But what do you think?

Deadguy
04-28-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by WWIII
I know, it's still early in the season, and it's a long season, but everytime I see this lineup flyout/popout over and over because everyone is swinging for the fences, I wonder if this lineup works together well.

When everyone is hot, it seems like there is no better lineup, but that is because there are numerous homeruns. When they are cold, which they seem to be more often than not, they look pathetic. I am sick of hearing "He popped him up" from whoever is calling the game.

Don't get me wrong. I like all of these guys, but sometimes I am not convinved they make the best "team". I would think there are plenty of teams looking for a little pop in their lineup that would have more "on-base" type guys to give us in return. We keep a couple of the big hitters, Frank and Magglio, and unload the others for a lead-off guy, pitchers, and just plain hitters.

Maybe I'm wrong, in which case, ignore me - everyone does. But what do you think?

We knew coming into the season that the offense would be mediocre. They were just 8th in the league in runs scored last season, and not only did we not upgrade at any positions, we arguably got worse.

If you look at the OPS numbers of most of the hitters, they are relativevly close to their career averages, with a few notable exceptions here and there on the positive and negative side that tend to cancel each other out. What we're seeing now in terms of offense is what we can expect for the rest of the season, unless some changes are made.

Frater Perdurabo
04-28-2004, 04:09 PM
The offense worked just fine in the bottom of the ninth today.

That being said, the Sox need more left-handed bats and more OBP. If Rowand does not turn it on and Reed stays hot for another few weeks, they should bring up Reed. When Valentin comes back, they should move Uribe to 2B and Harris to the bench.

delben91
04-28-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
The offense worked just fine in the bottom of the ninth today.

That being said, the Sox need more left-handed bats and more OBP. If Rowand does not turn it on and Reed stays hot for another few weeks, they should bring up Reed. When Valentin comes back, they should move Uribe to 2B and Harris to the bench.

I agree whole-heartedly with both of those points.

pjthesox13
04-28-2004, 04:17 PM
As for me, everytime I begin to lose faith in our players, like Crede, they come up with something to keep it going. I just hope it lasts. Harris needs to be seated for a while for sure.

OEO Magglio
04-28-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by pjthesox13
As for me, everytime I begin to lose faith in our players, like Crede, they come up with something to keep it going. I just hope it lasts. Harris needs to be seated for a while for sure.
I agree about willie, I was all for him getting a shot to start, but when Jose comes back, it has to be Uribe's job he has just been awesome so far, and by the way I LOVE THIS TEAM!!!!!!!!!

soxnut
04-28-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by WWIII

I'm with ya. I still think they need to trade Lee and/or Konerko. Get a left-handed bat that hits for average and a high "on-base %" who doesn't have good power. There have got to be teams out there who do need a power guy. If we needed a power guy I would go for Knoerko or Lee, but we have enough of those guys already.

Nard
04-28-2004, 05:46 PM
Lee needs to go if he keeps poping up in 75% of his ABs. Everyone else has contributed somewhat at some time this season.

pjthesox13
04-28-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Nard
Lee needs to go if he keeps poping up in 75% of his ABs. Everyone else has contributed somewhat at some time this season.

Lee hasn't been hitting too well lately but that double today sure did put a smile to my face